Pump am y Penwythnos / Friday Five 12/10/2018 5️⃣

Bore da!

I hope you are all well and have some interesting things to look forward to at the weekend. Though here in north Wales we’re experiencing some lively weather in the form of gale force winds and driving rain! So stay safe and dry if you can!

1) Have you had any memorable experiences with interesting or extreme weather conditions?

2) In which way are you different?

3) You have a new gadget/piece of tech. It’s small enough to fit in your pocket, it’s powerful, capable and durable. What are the extraordinary things it can it do?

4) Are you more of a hunter or a gatherer?

5) What advice do you have for me today?

6) Make up your own Friday Five question and answer it…

2 Likes

1) Have you had any memorable experiences with interesting or extreme weather conditions?

I nearly died of cold in a tent in Zimbabwe. I remember thinking how embarrassing it was going to be for the family to have to explain that I’d died of cold in Zimbabwe. That’s the high veldt for you.

I don’t think I am, particularly. Oh, apart from my socks. My socks are brilliant.

3) You have a new gadget/piece of tech. It’s small enough to fit in your pocket, it’s powerful, capable and durable. What are the extraordinary things it can it do?

It can let me know where my children are and if they need help.

Hunter. No, wait, gatherer. Oh, I don’t know.

Don’t get cocky just because you’ve finished writing your book… :heart:

Q: What one thing would you change about where you live?
A: I’d make it have room for my books [and then I’d do my best to run out room again]. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Q: You have to have either 6 foot long arms or 6 foot long legs. Which will you choose?
A: I think I’ll go for the arms, providing I can have some sort of trolley to stop them dragging on the floor when I walk.

4 Likes

Whiteouts in the Cairngorms (where the snow prevents your seeing the division between the ground and the sky) were pretty scary. The possibility of stepping on to a snow cornice protuding over a cliff and plunging a thousand feet or so made it essential to rope up.
No-one else has my fingerprints. :slight_smile:
It’s a compass (50 + years old if that counts as new). Wherever I am in the world (except at the magnetic poles and some weird mountains) it’ll tell me where North is.
If or when our leaders press “the button” I’d do whatever was necessary to feed my family. The chickens would have cause to tremble first, though.
Carry on and keep smiling.
Me: Is tadcu beautiful?
Izzy: No. You’re handsome :laughing::laughing: (I know, I know, she has much to learn)

4 Likes

I can lick my own elbow.

Be prepared to put your elbow where your mouth is at the next Cloncedigion. :laughing:
You’re lucky you’re not me - I can’t tell my a**e from my elbow. :fearful:

6 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

Maybe I read that too quickly but I thought you wrote “eyebrow”! (Insert your own joke)

Surely a live chicken (layer) would feed you for longer? But what do I know!

2 Likes

Now look what you started! I’ll be practising for hours!

4 Likes

We were trying to find a particular cafe in Epcot during the heaviest rain storm ever in the whole history of the earth and caught a boat to the other side of the lake and started to walk back to find it. It turns out it was about 200 yards from where we first caught the boat. We were a bit wet. :roll_eyes:

I’m unique, just like everyone else.

Different from what? Being unique I’m different from everything, of course, but still share 50% of my D.N.A. with a banana. That’s almost half!

It can remind me who I’m talking to when I meet people again. My lack of memory is shocking.

Being a cigwrthodwr I wouldn’t make a good hunter but I would do whatever it took to look after those that matter.

Stay hydrated.

Q. If a buttercup is yellow what colour is a hiccup?

A. Burple.

3 Likes

Surely a live chicken (layer) would feed you for longer? But what do I know!

A very good point, especially since Elsa, Bluey and Chilli between them keep 4 adults and 1 child (plus friends occasionally) supplied with delicious large eggs. The crunch would come when they could no longer find enough to eat grubbing around in our garden. I would find it very hard to choose, so I really hope no fool presses any buttons soon. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like
  1. Prove it.
2 Likes
  1. Wow!
2 Likes
  1. Interpol?
2 Likes

I’m always careful to wear gloves. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

1) Have you had any memorable experiences with interesting or extreme weather conditions? I seem to have an affinity for driving in whiteout blizzards. And they usually involve women. First recollection was going out on a date. Travel advisories were in place but I wasn’t going to miss a date. Ended up having excellent food, drinks and a comedy show…well maybe not too great. I didn’t see her again. Oops! Other times occurred driving home from work, 83 miles, and I couldn’t see the edge of the road at 2AM in the morning to get to my family.

2) In which way are you different? No one has my Wife or Daughter.

3) You have a new gadget/piece of tech. It’s small enough to fit in your pocket, it’s powerful, capable and durable. What are the extraordinary things it can it do? It automagically reminds and ensures my Daughter completes her homework. That would be so useful.

4) Are you more of a hunter or a gatherer?. When I’m at the grocery store, total hunter. When I’m with family, I’m a gatherer.

5) What advice do you have for me today? If you cannot find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it? - Dogen Zenji

6) Make up your own Friday Five question and answer it… If you could eat anything now, what would you eat? Tortellini Alfredo

2 Likes

Wish I’d thought of that. Can I borrow it, please?

1 Like

Cei, a chroeso. :grinning:

1 Like

We were on the last ferry to cross the Irish Sea during a gale. That was very rocky!!

I have a cat called Colin.

In 2017 no human children were registered as a Colin in the UK. So, conceivably, he is the only Colin born in 2017.

It can keep me in contact with my whole family. It can also be pointed at any mountain or geological feature and tell me all known names for the feature, and any tales associated with it.

I wish I had a better understing of wild plants and vegetation. So I guess I wish I was a gatherer. I wouldn’t be opposed to hunting.

Cutting the bottom off a bell pepper helps you see the core and means you can cut around it with less mess.

If you were planning to stay in a house for 3 more years and then moving would you upgrade a working but slightly rubbish boiler?

That’s a very good question…

5 Likes

When I was a child we always camped in a tent at the sea-side. Our tent was big though (5x5m) and when the heavy wind and rain came we all stood each at their own corner and held the sticks so the tent didn’t collaps. We actually had to hold up 2 tents of equal size as we had it connected with our friend’s one with the fabric/plastic roof. Beneath the tent we (luckily) had polyvinyl put on the floor but under that there was surely about 2 or 3 cm of water which pured down the slight hillside … The storm luckily didn’t last long but the night sleep was “destroyed”. Needless to say one of the friend’s tent stick broke and we had quite work with holding the whole structure up preventing it to collaps into itself.

Two big tents “merged” together (in clear weather here though). Mind the photo is scanned from really old picture (about 45 or 40 years old).

Le’t say just that I’m odd … having the odd “dreams” about what could still be invented and acheaved in the World and after some years these things really happen, just that inventor am not I but some other people I even don’t know.

It works phisical (around house) work for me so I have more time for doing stuff I really like … learning languages and doing some cool stuff music, graphics, animations related. :slight_smile: And of course to speak to lovely bunch of people on here. :slight_smile:

Gatherer. If you would see what mess it is in my house. All kinds of stuff allaround …

It might be there should be the need to survive and enable the family to survive in order I’d master the skills of hunting.

Among all daily stuff you just have to do always find some time to do the stuff you like! Your soul feeds form such things so don’t let them completely go.

(Did you shot any photos today already or watch the birds fly?)

:question:
:exclamation: :heavy_heart_exclamation: :heavy_heart_exclamation: :heavy_heart_exclamation: :heavy_heart_exclamation:

2 Likes

Depends on the cost, but if it still does heating and hot water, probably not. Three years goes by very quickly. Unless: a) it’s costing a fortune in maintenance (in which case look into taking out an annual plan with British Gas or someone); or b) you’re selling the house and the boiler’s so terrible you think it’ll put people off buying it (which I think is unlikely as long as you have it serviced regularly).

But don’t ask me, I’ve been living in a house where we have to hang down a well every now and again to restart the water, so I’ve probably got a higher ‘let’s get a new one’ threshold than most.