Pump am y Penwythnos - Friday Five 19/10/2018 5️⃣

Bore da bawb! How are you all today and what does the weekend have in store for you?

1) I’ve just gone through the emotional upheaval of saying goodbye to the first draft of my novel and sending it off to the publishers, a strange and unsettling feeling. When were you last in limbo?

2) What’s the last saying you remember using and what was the context?

3) Yesterday, one of Beuno’s class mates ran out in to the road in front of a car whilst on his way from school. I’ve just learnt this morning that he’s going to be OK and may well be discharged from hospital today. When was the last time you breathed a huge sigh of relief?

4) What’s the nicest/kindest compliment anyone has ever paid you?

5) Big up someone in your life who deserves a round of applause or a big thank you.

6) Make up your own Friday Five question and answer it…

2 Likes

You do realise that these questions are a writing course @CatrinLliarJones?

At least we are able to do it in English. It would take a whole day to respond in Welsh!

2 Likes

Quite often I spend all week thinking about the questions and then never write anything down!

1 Like

1) I’ve just gone through the emotional upheaval of saying goodbye to the first draft of my novel and sending it off to the publishers, a strange and unsettling feeling. When were you last in limbo?

Now, waiting for the delivery of a new toilet, bidet etc that I will be putting in over the next few weeks. Although there are potentially six people in my house they have the habit of disappearing when I need them to help out. Um, was that the front door quietly closing, footsteps on the gravel drive…

‘How many times do I have to tell you…’. Okay, I know not a proper saying but, with six children, the oldest being 27, 365 days in the year, I reckon I have used it several if not hundreds of thousands of times.

3) Yesterday, one of Beuno’s class mates ran out in to the road in front of a car whilst on his way from school. I’ve just learnt this morning that he’s going to be OK and may well be discharged from hospital today. When was the last time you breathed a huge sigh of relief?

Last week when I arrived home to the postman walking away from my house with a parcel (novel called Hen Bethau Anghofiedig for my Welsh class) which meant I did not have to go and collect it from the depot miles away. I got a parking ticket last time I went there for parking 9.5" away from the kerb.

Not a compliment but, at the moment, I do remember one of my children asking me if I wanted them to stay in to wait for a parcel…

5) Big up someone in your life who deserves a round of applause or a big thank you.

My autistic daughter who, occasionally, does respond to my ‘how many times do I have to tell you…’

Q. When was the last time someone said to you, 'how many times do I have to tell you…'
A. Oh, um, never, well, no, not sure, me…?

1 Like

1) I’ve just gone through the emotional upheaval of saying goodbye to the first draft of my novel and sending it off to the publishers, a strange and unsettling feeling. When were you last in limbo? First, congratulations! That’s a huge achievement. A lot of people, including me, have started multiple times (3 for me) to write a novel but never get far enough in the process for to amount to much.

Last time I was in limbo was waiting to hear whether I got the job I interviewed for. I did, but the waiting was cruel.

2) What’s the last saying you remember using and what was the context? I don’t really use “sayings”…well at least, I don’t think I do because none come to mind. I do say “I love you” to my Family a lot. Last time was this morning when my Daughter caught the bus for school. It’s important for me to say “I love you” to people I care about when there is a gap of time to when I see them again. When I was 24 my Father died in a hospital several states away from me. I live in the US. My last conversation with him ended with both of us saying, “I love you” to each other. I found it comforting to know that. Consequently, the last words I say to someone I care about is “I love you.” If anything should ever happen, then the last words spoken are those of love.

3) Yesterday, one of Beuno’s class mates ran out in to the road in front of a car whilst on his way from school. I’ve just learnt this morning that he’s going to be OK and may well be discharged from hospital today. When was the last time you breathed a huge sigh of relief? This morning! My Daughter had ADHD and OCD. Most of the time those issues clash, so studying for tests can be very tedious. Currently she is struggling in one of her classes and we spent two nights helping her to study for the exam. Received word she the multiple choice she got 100%. Huge sigh of relief.

My Wife said, “You’re too sexy to use Dove soap. So I got you this instead.” Made my week!

There are lots of people in my personal life, but they won’t read this and I’ve thanked them profusely already. I want to give a huge shout out (diolch o galon) to Aran, Catrin, Iestyn Cat. I’ve had all four voices in my head and this forum has so many amazing people. Specifically, I like to thank @tahl. She introduced me to Aran at NAFOW and really opened a huge door for me. I can honestly say, without SSiW, I would have stopped learning Cymraeg, I would not have the passion for the language, for Wales (history and culture) and most certainly, I would not be drinking tea from this mug.

Is it time? Not yet, still 5 more hours to gol

1 Like

Every other day.

“So near and yet so far”. Someone I know narrowly lost a local council by-election which by rights he should have won. :frowning:

Young grandson was discharged from hospital without having to stay in overnight; the parents had taken him in after what had started out as a bad cold looked like it might be something more serious. He’s had a rough week, but appears to be almost his cheeky mischievous adorable self now.

Not sure about nicest/kindest, but the most recent one was someone calling me a fine upstanding chap. I think it was at least partly tongue in cheek, but for a moment it made me feel better about myself. :slight_smile:

They know who they are (I hope).

Q: “Have’t you sorted that out yet?”
A: “Tomorrow, all right???” :slight_smile:

3 Likes

2 Likes

I believe the “real thing” about that was back in 2016 in the last days of June when I wasn’t even a bit sure will I really be able to come to Wales and to bootcamp at all. There was a lot in stake but mostly will we get that extra money we every year get form the company for the holidays (we call it “regres” and I am not sure if this kind of extra addition exists elswhere at all), or not. As you all know everything went well and the story has got its happy ending.

Oh, and when I was returning from Wales after almost two whole weeks there … I had some issues at the airport because of which I could easily miss the flight would flight not be in delay. I believed I managed to get aboard only when I was sitting tight on the plane and it was already in the air for quite some minutes …

I many times kee saying: “Every bad is good for something …” and if you’d look closely on every bad situation you’ll actually see in the most cases this is true.

Every time I finally get home from the traffic chaos after 2 hours of traveling by bus which could be made in less than an hour if there wouldn’t be constant road work blockings, confused car drivers, arogant cyclists and what’s more to them on the roads and streets. And every time my two boys - husband and son return home safely.

“Rad te 'mam.” (I love you.) said by my husband many times (mostly it comes when the most needed).

Otherwise this:

although it might be it’s just the feeling and view of one person. Thank you @margaretnock.

My husband son and a friend at work … they’re always here for me.

Additionally those two teen brothers who challenged me to learn Welsh because if there wouldn’t be them my life could turn completely different way, not just Welsh learning wise but my complete life in general. They made much more for me than they’d ever be able to imagine. Apart from my husband , they lifted me from the bottom of my psychical life and made me possible to acomplish something. And least but not last: this great community for everything you - if most of you even unaware - did for me. I won’t expose anyone here as I’d easily forget someone important but still there are people who made a huge difference to my life and (hopefully) they know who they are. Endlessly gratefull for everything.

In how many languages you can say thanks.
In many more than I can actually speak.

5 Likes

Just thinking. I hope he’s ok, now.
It all happens in Carmel :thinking:

Gosh, @delawarejones, diolch yn fawr am y diolch! It’s such a pleasure to connect good people to each other and watch things take off. :slight_smile:

2 Likes