Radio cymru

Hi, can anyone recommend any good programmes on radio cymru? I’ve just finished level 2, I’d like to listen to radio but don’t really know where to start.

3 Likes

Well one suggestion would be to listen to the podcasts for learners, where they broadcast highlights from the week’s programmes:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02nrvyj/episodes/downloads
They also provide vocab lists relevant to the individual podcasts, and I find it useful to have these open as a separate tab, e.g.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/radiocymru/entries/d3608155-7264-4837-88d4-26aa8482c2b6 .

2 Likes

Pigion, a podcast but not a programme in it’s own right, is to be recommeded. Three or four sections of three or four minutes each.
Beti a’i Phobol is a an interview programme between Beti George and a single guest each week. That’s where I started listening to Radio Cymru.

3 Likes

Great, thanks. I’ll give it a go.
Mandy

Diolch yn fawr

Lisa Gwilym has a show on Radio Cymru at 19:00 on Wednesday. I enjoy the show :grinning:

Thanks, I’ll give it a go!

It depends what you like, I suppose. I tend to go in for discussion type programmes, usually of a “serious” nature (but not always).

If you like politics, there’s “O’r Bae” at Friday lunchtimes.

I always find Dylan Iorwerth worth listening to (pardon the pun):

(used to be 45 minutes on Monday evenings, but they’ve changed the day and reduced his slot. Don’t know why).

I see he had another programme on last week, that looks pretty interesting:

(I’ve not listened to it yet though, but I’ll bet it’s good).

If you want a real challenge, there is Taror’ Post every weekday afternoon at 1pm. It’s a challenge 1) because the main presenter, Gary Owen speaks very quickly (to my ear) and 2) it’s mainly phone-in guests with very variable line-quality and a variety of accents.

Worth a try though, and several SSiWers have been on the programme, including quite recently (there was a thread about it).

Edit: I see that tomorrow (Monday), Gari Wyn is in Portmeirion. That should be quite interesting.

Oh, and this could be a bit “different”:

A panel game inspired by the National Eisteddfod. The mind boggles.

1 Like

TBH, I just listen to anything that happens to be on. To start with I just allowed it to flow over me. Now I seem to understand a fair bit of what I hear. I’d say that it has definitely helped me.

1 Like

I listen as and when too. Randomly my daughter has started asking for it in the car rather than our usual radio2. I think I’m also starting to understand more. I quite like it when it’s a programme that has Welsh music as well as chat.

Taro’r Post by Garry Owen (1pm to 2pm on weekdays) is a very good show for some listening practice, as it’s a 1 hour call in show with no music at all, and lots of different accents all over the place.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll give it a go.

Lots of ideas! Diolch

I like Bore Cothi on weekday mornings, and Haf o Hud on Saturday afternoons. They are both a mix of chat and music. The presenters tend to speak fairly clearly, which helps.

Thanks, I’m not going to have time to work with all these suggestions!

If work does get dangerously close to happening at any stage, this might help too:

1 Like

Early retirement is looking attractive! Diolch

1 Like

Between 8 and 10 is okay; more talk, less music; quirky chat that you can just about keep up with. After 10 it’s Sian Cothi who has long conversations with listeners but I find them hard to follow. Sian is from Sir Benfro and speaks South Welsh.
There’s too much music on Radio Cymru, but sometimes you can follow the lyrics more easily than the chat.
I found Guto Hari’s new series of documentaries on S4C useful. Covers North and South.

Diolch