Repeat dramas now on Clic

Very pleased to see today that some old dramas have been added to Clic. Including three seasons of Y Gwyll, 35 Diwrnod, and some one offs.

They don’t seem to be on i player but a nice Christmas present for those of us able to access Clic!

5 Likes

YES! this is the only reason I got a tv licence for and haven’t been able to watch it! Thanks!

1 Like

Was 35 Diwrnod also in English outside of Wales, like Y Gwyll?

As for Y Gwyll, it always seemed quite strange to me that they had to do every scene with a dialogue twice!

1 Like

Not sure about 35 diwrnod but quite a few dramas are now filmed in double. Keeping Faith was popular I think, people were talking about it in my office anyway. It’s good if it means more money to make programs in Welsh.

3 Likes

Strange in some ways, but it wasn’t a first to be filmed that way. Back in the 1990s, there was a series called “A Mind to Kill”, starring the late, great Philip Madoc.

It was shown in English only on Channel 5 in England, which is how I became aware of it. It’s available on DVD, but sadly, only in English. It was a great series, though quite dark in places. It also featured the late Meic Povey, actor and later more famous as a writer. (His younger (and youngest) sister, Buddug Povey plays “Kay” on Rownd a Rownd).

2 Likes

Diolch! I’m looking forward to watching Con Passionate again. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I remember it well…it was rooted in Welsh culture…a class act.

3 Likes

Con Passionate! I’d have bought it on DVD if they’d ever produced a set.

Well, according to Golwg360 here’s the next best thing - a new ‘bocs-set’ service from S4C that is going to include Con Passionate!

The service will launch this Saturday - 15 December - and everything will be available for 150 days.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s the subject of this thread!

Other good stuff there too, but Con Passionate is the one I want to see. I hope the subsequent series follow in due course. I’m not sure I can suffer through Y Gwyll again. I definitely can’t suffer through 35 Diwrnod again, though there is some terrific acting.

1 Like

Yes looks like I stumbled on it a bit early. I will check out Compassionate. I’m sorry Parch isn’t on there, I only caught the third series.

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be nice if they dusted off the old recordings of “A Mind to Kill” - “Yr Heliwr” and showed those? (in Cymraeg, of course).

2 Likes

I loved Parch and would happily watch it again. It was a lovely surprise to go to a discussion evening with Adam Price recently and find it consisted of him having a chat with Carys Eleri who played Myfanwy in the series. She’s as lovely in person as she is on TV!

I’d quite like to see Lan a Lawr again too, and I felt really sad recently when I saw that Heulwen Hâf, the eccentric artist mother in the series, had died recently. She was great!

No, 35 Diwrnod was Welsh only.

1 Like

I absolutely LOVED Un Bore Mercher / Keeping Faith. I got my English speaking husband watching it with subtitles before the English version came out, and I got my cousin in Liverpool hooked on it as well. I was like an “Un Bore Mercher” drug dealer! :wink:

1 Like

I think that this is fantastic, and it’s great to see S4C modernising their provision. When I first heard that this might be happened I presumed that there would be a Netflix-style subscription cost, but it seems that it is all being made available for free. I’ve copied in the full press release below which has all the details.

From Saturday 15 December, classic programmes and award-winning films from S4C’s archives will be available to watch again in their entirety as box-sets on S4C Clic. The programmes will remain on the player for 150 days. Viewers will also be able to watch selected new S4C programmes online before the date of the first television broadcast.
The first programmes available to watch now as S4C Clic box-sets, are: Con Passionate (series 1), 04 Wal, Y Gwyll (series 1-3), 35 Diwrnod (series 1 & 2), Nyth Cacwn and Bois y Pizza.
Also being made available are a selection of festive films, including Children’s BAFTA award-winning movie, Rhestr Nadolig Wil, Porc Pei, and Y Dyn 'Nath Ddwyn y Dolig.
Oscar-nominated film Hedd Wyn will also be available to watch again, as well as 1999 film Tair Chwaer – Cymer Dy Siar, and Sinema’r Byd, a series of five short Welsh language films originally shown across the continent by European Broadcast Union (EBU) broadcasters.
Details of further box-sets and films to be added to Clic will be revealed in the new year.
Owen Evans, S4C Chief Executive, said: "It’s the time of year when families get together and watch their favourite programmes and films, and we are delighted to be launching our box-sets service on Clic over the festive period.
"The way that people watch our content has changed and it is important that we are able to make our programmes available on digital platforms. Making box-sets of new and old S4C programmes available to Clic users is a key part of that.
"The way people watch our content has transformed and it’s important that our programs are available to watch on digital platforms.
“Developing the Clic player is significant part of our digital strategy and I am pleased that we are now able to open the doors to our archives and bring our popular Welsh language content to new audiences.”

5 Likes

I got our daughter watching the English version too. She is interested in languages, but so far I haven’t been able to convince her of the virtues of learning Welsh!

[deleted post]

I know it’s in English (and I’m not that big a fan) but some people may like to know that the BBC has High Hopes in its Box Sets on iPlayer. I always though Margaret John’s character in Gavin and Stacey was just Mam transferred to the coast.

1 Like

Hands up who are watching Con Passionate on S4C/Clic Bocset? I am totally and thoroughly hooked, and I understand why it is such a classic piece of Welsh TV. What a brilliant series! And I love the roll call of Welsh actors. Almost every good Welsh actor that I’ve ever seen seems to be in it, and I’ve only watched 2 episodes so far.

1 Like