Return to Bootcamp?

Has anybody done more than one? Did you get as much out of it? Is repeatedly bootcamping oneself encouraged by the SSiW inner circle?

I went in September and made more progress than I could have imagined. However, I’ve not really found myself in as productive a learning environment since and my rate of improvement can be compared to that of Swansea City.

This is despite Welsh speakers across the Towy Valley being exposed to my daily attempts to avoid butchering of their beautiful language.

Keep thinking that filling another jar of peas in Tresaith may be the best way to push on…

3 Likes

I’ve bootcamped many, many times and loved each time. More importantly, I made clear progress (especially in confidence) each time. Go for it! :smile:

Edit: Who holds the record for the number of bootcamps? My guess is @dinas :smile:

4 Likes

I’ve been several times, but before the jar of peas was invented. Each was worth going to, otherwise I wouldn’t have gone again. During the first I felt very much out of my depth and the ‘worst student in the class’ but I know I progressed. I decided after the last one, the 5th, in 2015, I knew I didn’t need to go again, as there must be (?) a time when we progress, pass on, graduate from being a learner to a user of the language.
But absolutely, bootcamp in Tresaith, is a great way of progressing the language, and I would highly recommend more than one visit. The July bootcamp is looking a little uncertain at the moment.

3 Likes

Three times, loved them all.

Each bootcamp has resulted in improvements, however the level of improvement has been less each time. (I did notice a similar increase in fluency and confidence after attending a recent day school in Gwent).

@brigitte, dwi’n siwr…

Whatever happened to that bootcampers bootcamp idea?

1 Like

Oh good. I was wondering if I had made the right decision to do a second bwtcamp. It was such a delightful and amazing experience last year that if it would be half as good then it would be time well spent. Hopefully it’ll give me a really clear idea that I have actually continued to improve since last year and where exactly I am at.
I’ll be able to give a better answer next month.

3 Likes

It got rather overwhelmed by the struggle to find a suitable date for the party, but there has always been a little core of bwtcampers that fancied doing another one in the winter. That could be a possibility :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hi Rob,

I went again in April… got loads out of it.
(I was on boot camp with you)

JD

5 Likes

Yup, I’m sure she holds the record. :slight_smile:

No way. Kim (Dinas) was , well, I’d say 20x ? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yep - Kim’s the man for me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi John - Good to hear from you. That’s good to know. May start planning another visit to Tresaith

1 Like

I’ve just pledged to go on my 2nd bwtcamp the end of July to prepare me for the Maes in August.
It’s still a bit light in numbers for those others who would like to return.

2 Likes

Good to see you last night… hope you are able to make it to the other Carmarthen get-togethers.

1 Like

I think I would definitely benefit from another bootcamp - I have lots more chance to practice speaking these days than I did before the September bootcamp (not difficult as I had never really had a proper conversation before that, or not since school!). But I think there is something in having that extended period of time to really get into the zone. I don’t have the holiday this year unfortunately, but I’m thinking about next April (either that or some kind of extended trip around the 10th birthday party).

5 Likes

We’re toying with the idea of having a bootcamp running for the week after the party weekend… :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Perfect - where do I sign up?!

1 Like

I think we’re going to be continuing to toy for a while - but also talking to people we know who’ll be coming a long way to be at the party weekend - and then see how many spaces we have to throw open… but happy to hold one for you, so just remind me of that when we get to opening it up… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s very kind, and of course I know it’s going to take a lot of planning so no rush! I did wonder if Llety arall would be ready as accommodation for some of us, as I know you mentioned before it would be perfect for a bootcamp.

2 Likes

Yup - we’ve promised to do a bootcamp there as soon as they’re up and running, to help get them some early trade - and I’m certainly hoping they’ll be ready by the party weekend… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The short answer is yes, having just returned from my second bwtcamp.

I did feel a little bit of a “traitor” after doing the “Northern” bwtcamp last year, but it was fun to explore using and learning some Southernisms, like Gallu, it’s just fitting them into my own personal dialect. Yet its probably also good to realise that Aran isn’t a god and Iestyn has some very interesting things to say about the Welsh language too.
It wasn’t the huge trans-formative experience of the first bwtcamp where I went from lacking confidence in using Welsh to becoming a speaker. However I think it was more enjoyable, simply because my brain wasn’t melting all the time.
The other difference was instead of asking people to explain things to me in different ways until I understood, i spent more time doing the explaining. There is a real art to explaining things and it is a skill worth developing for me in both Welsh and English.
It was still tiring, but this time it was perhaps because the weather was so hot, rather than staying in Welsh being difficult.
I understood a lot more of what was going on this time, especially when out in the wild listening to non-bwtcamp Welsh speakers. Maybe it was that Ceredigion folks accent is easier to understand than that of Caernarfon, but i expect it was because my listening skills have improved over the last year.
Really every bwtcamp is just a hugely enjoyable experience, as every time there is a wonderful mixture of different people all positive about using their Welsh. Though i am now a Welsh speaker there are those who have been learning Welsh for just 3 months on the 6 month intensive course (you know who you are!) and I kept forgetting that as there Welsh was so good!
I’m sure I’ll have more thoughts to share when I’ve had some time to unpack the experience and my bags.

8 Likes