Rownd a Rownd

Well, Philip and Lowri seem fated not to end up with any, ahem, nooky time.

Meanwhile, Dani seems to be well on the way to rumbling Lowri. Dani is odd in some ways. e.g. first she was all over Mags, but then noticed her sniffing around ty Wyn, and immediately turned on her. Similarly, she was full of concern for Lowri, but is now interrogating her like a detective.

Soooooo, what did Jac’s dad do? I missed all that - must have been before I began watching. I wonder how the trip to y De and the family meeting will go - got a bad feeling, though.
I do think Mags could have done the decent thing and fallen off that balcony…
Felt sorry for Iestyn, although he is sneaky. Carwyn does do wound up far too well. He has exactly the right face for it.

2 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy:

So is Vince going to be the next to leave the show? It sounds a bit like the visit to Callum might be permanent.

The story on Jac has always been a bit vague. When David was still in the programme, and going out with Dani, Jac seemed to be getting too close to Dani for David’s liking, and he started spying on him (for want of a better word). He found out that Jac had been in prison (and Jac wasn’t his real name). Not sure if we ever knew why he was in prison. Siân also found out about him - we saw her looking at a scan of a news report about him, perhaps from police sources. She probably kept it to herself for professional reasons, and it never seemed to lead anywhere.

My working theory. is that perhaps Jac’s father was abusive in some way, and that one day Jac’s patience snapped and he beat him up, and was imprisoned for that.

LOL!

I hope not, but I fear you may be right.

1 Like

Phrases I’ve learned on RaR:

No idea if they are unique to the Môn area, or more generally used in N. Wales, and probably some are standard Welsh, but I first heard them on RaR.

Just a few for now. Feel free to add your own! :slight_smile:

“Dim ffears o beryg!” - lit no fear of danger - no danger! - no chance!

“rêl boi” - not to be translated literally I think. Seems to be used as a general “bigging up” of anything, regardless of gender.

…oops, have to go now…more later I hope! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Potential spoiler, episode Thursday 20.12.2018:

Interesting language point: At the end, Lowri says, according to the Clic Welsh subtitles
(I could barely hear it, as she was crying):

“…gynni hi …”

(I’ve left off the critical word, so it’s not too much of a spoiler).

Now, in the original SSiW, they taught: " ganddi hi" for “she has”.
(Not sure how it’s taught in the new courses (levels)).

I know from grammar books there are variations on this, e.g. “ganni hi”, but don’t think I’d come across “gynni hi” before. I suppose it’s not that different, but interesting (to me, anyway :slight_smile: ).

Edit: hmm…just spotted this posting:

So evidently it’s just one of the “standard” (!) forms.

EDIT2: A kind correspondent has pointed me to the entry for “gan” in Gareth King’s excellent dictionary, and this is shown as one of the “especially Northern” forms. And now I look at them and come to think of it, those are the forms we tend to hear most on RaR.
I should really have known this, I suppose! :blush:

2 Likes

My impression of “rial boi” was something like “brave” and/or “healthy”, depending on context.

1 Like

Answer from @beca-brown on another thread … “Yes, I would use ‘rêl boi’ often - it’s a compliment, it’s a way of saying that someone is perfectly competent at something, usually when it might be something difficult or something the person does well a bit unexpectedly or that they didn’t think they’d be able to do it. An example - “Mae o’n hitio’r nodau uchel yna’n rêl boi” (he hits those top notes with no problem). It’s used for girls too, although I have heard ‘rêl gyrl’ used in Anglesey, which is an interesting one, as they use ‘hogia’ to describe both boys and girls over there! Someone from Anglesey once asked me “sut mae’r hogia?” - how are the boys - and I pointed out that I have a boy and a girl, and that’s how I discovered that little linguistic quirk!”

5 Likes

I get the “healthy” vibe more from “fel y boi” than from “rêl boi” if I’m honest.

1 Like

I just took it as another form!

I’m so pleased this thread has re-activated recently, which has spurned me to catch up over the last few weeks so I could be involved in the discussions. I haven’t regular watched RaR for ages. But I did go that’s Ysybyty Gwynedd! this week. When did this boat yard start? that’s been the major change to me.

Around the beginning of October, I think, because that’s when I visited the set and they mentioned it to me but I hadn’t been familiar with it at that point, either, but I think pretty much as soon as I came back I started seeing it in episodes.

Well, definitely a new thing since the new series started after the summer break. Old people out (Meical and Michelle), new people in (Gwenno, Anest, Iestyn, Carwyn). But we’d seen Carwyn before very briefly, and Lowri had referred to Gwenno a few times, possibly setting up their future appearance.

Well, indeed… :slight_smile:

I heard it used (in RaR) once in that context…when someone was having a pregnancy scan, and the baby was pronounced healthy (and not that it was a boy! :slight_smile: ). But I hear it from time to time in other contexts.

Thursday, 27.12.2018 (double-episode)

No spoilers given here, but this is one episode you won’t want to miss!

So prepare your comfort food and beverage of choice, and setlwch i lawr for 48 action-packed minutes!

Joiwch!

1 Like

I’ll echo Mike above. There’s a lot going on here.

Da iawn i John a Siân.

Dani’s showing her true (spoilt brat ‘I want all the attention’) colours again. Poor Jac/Huw.

Well done to Lowri too … it’s about time.

Mathew has become an odd one for me. I like him for how he sticks by his dad but this childish feud with Dylan is ridiculous, what an idiot.

Still, it wouldn’t be a soap if it was normal life.

2 Likes

Although I must say, she was extremely patient with him! He was being quite unbearable that day!

Otherwise, cytuno’n llwyr.

2 Likes

She would have been entirely justified in telling him exactly where he could stick it! :slight_smile:

Definitely! I thought she was going to walk away!

1 Like

A kind correspondent has pointed out to me that what might have been last night’s (Tuesday, NY Day) episode is being broadcast tonight (Wednesday 2nd Jan 2019) at 18:30.

2 Likes

Squee!

The episode of 3 January 2019 was the one where I got to watch parts of it being filmed when I was in Porthaethwy in October 2018! (The bits with the camper van.)

So fun to see it on the screen now!

Spoilers

Also interesting to see the lighter visible in the inside-the-van shots; I couldn’t see those while I was there. I heard the producer(?) ask “Tom”'s mother whether she would mind if he played with it – it’s empty, of course, but still, she might not look the idea of a child playing with a lighter, but she was happy to give her permission.

I also got to see how the lock was rigged so that it popped open nicely when “attacked” with the crowbar.

It was fairly nippy that day and the yellow jacket “Carys” is wearing was not really warm enough; she was wearing a fleece jacket over it in between shots, which she had to keep taking off and putting back on.

I watched part of the action from inside the garage, part from behind the car that Barry drove in with – depending on where the camera was going to be.

Poor “Tom” started crying after the scene with him being carried out of the motor home was over, but they cheered him up again quickly enough.

And everybody there was wonderful when I was there! I spoke so much Welsh that day. I’m so glad I decided to try to find the garage based on a guess I had of its location (which turned out to be correct), otherwise I would probably never have heard about the filming going on that day.

4 Likes

Wow, well done!

Does that mean you got to meet some of the cast and/or crew?

I have often wondered how far in advance it is filmed.