S4C worldwide - quick check on who can see what, please

works fine from home.

I’m guessing something technical to do with the network rather than something to do with georestrictions in Germany.

Possibly – I usually watch Rownd-a-Rownd episodes multiple times (with and without subtitles) and usually, if I watch an episode shortly after having watched it before, I don’t see the advert again, but if it’s longer ago then I might see it again.

2 Likes

Thanks Philip. It does seem like everything is working as it should (including your firewalls :wink: ) on this programme, so maybe it is just a glitch on the 'catch-up’s of ‘Evan a’r Cherokee’ (which led me to start this thread).

1 Like

I see what you mean - sorry, I was still in “why isn’t it on BBC4 mode” and so misinterpreted your comment! My bad!

2 Likes

Diolch for this whole thread, Siaron! It is so helpful for those outside UK. Of course, in UK, outside area where S4C is received, with no Sky you are dependent on broadband and some have bad reception! I am very grateful we have Sky! This was rendered necessary years back due to hills around us!

2 Likes

I take your point Siaron (and to a lesser extent Rob’s). But I’ll refrain from further comment as it’s distracting from your original thread. Thanks for your interesting reply.

S’mae @siaronjames! Logging in from Canada on a Windows PC and trying http://www.s4c.cymru/clic/e_level2.shtml?series_id=536616537 - here are my results (apologies if this is more detail than you need - as a programmer, it drives me nuts when people just say “it’s broken”). :wink:

Mozilla Firefox - played perfectly.

Google Chrome - wouldn’t play at all. Just displays the error message: No compatible source was found for this video.

Microsoft Internet Explorer v. 11 - played perfectly.

Microsoft Edge - played perfectly.

All of the browsers that played properly skipped straight to the show, BTW - no advert at the beginning. I’ve never played this show before, so it’s not because cookies were set to skip it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Marg.

2 Likes

That’s interesting, because I use Chrome on Windows PCs (one is Win 7, the other Win 10) (in the US) and it works great. However, I did have an issue in the past where my adblocker in Chrome suddenly started causing the same issue you are describing. When I white-listed the website, it fixed the problem. Curious if you have an adblocker in Chrome?

The initial advertisements are interesting. For a long, long time I’d see the S4C HD one; lately it’s been the Yfed yn Ddiogel one, but for the last week or so I’ve just had no ad at all, no matter what I watch. The ads never seem to do with how many times I’ve watched something, or how recently. Either I see it every time, or like lately, not at all.

Anyway, just some more data, whether it’s useful or not :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Brilliant Margaret! I didn’t even think to ask about different browsers! I must remember in future that Google Chrome may be a prime suspect and to ask whether that’s being used straight off.
Thank you so much :smiley:

2 Likes

They are now, see Hinterland thread!! In the very slot you mention!
try here
If you look down a few posts, folks, you’ll see one by me explaining the total situation! (I hope)!

You’re very welcome, @siaronjames. Anything to help a fellow SSiWer. :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve posted a picture in “Diolch” thread (that’s where debate originally has started) already, because I know exactly what makes programmers nuts! (it makes me too).

Opera plays fine without ads
FireFox did this:

but after I’ve switched my AdBlocker on this browser off it played ad twice then showed the picture from the beginning of the program with “play” button on it however when I clicked it the same error as shown above was displayed again. Closing browser and opening it one more time it shows just error without the ad and without the previously mentioned picture.

Internet Explorer is working just fine - without ad at all. (mind I don’t use IE and Firefox very little if any).

I’ve checked that link of “Evan Jones” one more time on all browsers I have and
Chrome gives the same message I’ve displayed the picture of in “Diolch” thread
Opera and IE the same
Interestingly enough FireFox gave the message as shown here for that show also

All with no ads at all despite adblocker is set to off for S4C.

And yes, I forgot about varity of browsers and their features/possibilities/problems also … :slight_smile: I mostly use Chrome with Windows 8.1 (what a pity when it goes off at some point). :slight_smile:

I hope it helps in a way.

I don’t have access to the S4C apps in Slovenia so I can’t test them, otherwise I’d do so too.

3 Likes

so it seems to me that whilst there can be browser issues sometimes, the fact that ‘Cherokee’ is a repeat seems to be the one constant in the equation. That’s what I’ll start with as soon as I get a chance when I’m back at work (no doubt I’ll have a mountain of other stuff in my inbox to deal with first!). Thanks again Tatjana :slight_smile:

2 Likes

In the past I have been able to get the programs, even though they often stopped and started. Now I can’t get anything. I’m in Australia.

1 Like

Thanks for that Lynne. Is this regardless of which browser you try to open S4C/clic in, or are there any firewalls in the way? I’m only asking because (as you see from the responses above) there are a few things that get in the way that would be out of S4C’s hands anyway, even if I brought it up with them. On the other hand, if anything that shouldn’t be geoblocked is for some reason being geoblocked then that - presumably - would be able to be tackled.

Actually, I only have an iPad. Although up until a month or two ago I could get all the programmes. Now the website loads but the actual programme begins to load and then goes to a blank page with a small blank box in the corner which may or may not have a picture in it. Hopefully it’s not an iPad problem as I miss it.

1 Like

I’ll get someone to check on their computer tomorrow and let you know what happens. It’s night here now and I’m headed off to bed.

2 Likes

Please do let us know, Lynne! I do know from personal experience that I get very different results on the ipad for all sorts of things!
I may not have all the problems experienced by those of you outside UK, but I am very keen to try to get you all proper coverage on S4C International and, if any political pushing can help, I’m here ready to shove!!! :imp:

2 Likes

Hi Siaron, I tried internet explorer and I works perfectly. Thank you for following this up as I now I’m going to buy a computer. Oh, it didn’t play at all on chrome.

1 Like

I’m in the US and got "There was a problem playing this content. It might no longer be available or there could be a network issue. Please try again later or contact the S4C Viewers’ Hotline if you continue to experience difficulties.” I tried it on another program and got the same thing. I don’t know if it’s a network issue at my end or S4C just has a thing against Yanks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Joel. All info is appreciated! I’m sure S4C has nothing against Yanks but I can’t speak for its technical machinery thingymijigs! :wink: