Say Something in Icelandic?

Well, I just read in @neilrowlands Weekend Reader
that there’s concern that Icelandic is being overtaken by English as it’s so ubiquitous in the digital world.
I have a bit of an obsession with Iceland - I’d move there tomorrow if I could. I did say the odd ‘stock phrase’ when I was there last time, and it is somewhat difficult. However, I reckon it would work using the genius approach of SSi…
What do you reckon @aran ?

7 Likes

Very keen to start building out other languages - waiting for the last few bits and pieces to be finished before the next field test of our course creation tool… :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Ooh, I’d be so happy if there were a Say Something in Icelandic. It’s next on my list of languages to fail to learn…

5 Likes

I’ve got one of those lists too Peter! :joy:

5 Likes

The article also appeared in the Guardian. Among the interesting facts were : -

1 Icelandic is spoken by 360,000 people ;
2 Rather than import ‘loan words’ from other languages the locals put their heads together and come up with a new Icelandic word - even for computer terms such as browser for which there is a newish Icelandic word (Vafri from the verb to wander, apparently )

5 Likes

Alaric Hall has created two (2!) Michel Thomas style Icelandic courses. The first is a bit amateurish, the second a bit intense. But they’re available for free at:
http://www.alarichall.org.uk/teaching/modern_icelandic.php

2 Likes

What is it about Iceland? I’ve been fascinated by the place since I was a teenager. I love the language and the eerie landscape, and Bjork is a Godess to me. I’ve even been lucky enough to visit it. If there was a SSiI available, I’d definitely go for if!

2 Likes