Seeking Spanish speaker for Welsh swap

A bit of a shot in the dark…

I’ve done the first 7 challenges of Spanish, and would love to try it out very briefly on a fluent speaker.

I pretty fluent in Welsh, so could offer that in return. (Or English or German I suppose.)

Failing that, does anyone have a recommendation for a different online community for that kind of request?

Many thanks!

3 Likes

Update - I downloaded the app HelloTalk, and just had a conversation with a Columbian student in Korea who is learning English! Great fun, and I think she was a bit impressed that I’d only been learning for a week. (I didn’t know how to say 4 days!)

HelloTalk is a good tip for Spanish - might be worth moving this to the Spanish section, sorry.

(Of course if there happen to be any Spanish speaking SSIWers who’d like a chat, that would be wonderful too!)

1 Like

Helo/Hola/Hello/Hallo!
I’m a native Spanish speaker and I’m learning welsh. I’m in the Slack page. Only problem is that I’m in Australia, so the best time to catch me is between 1 and 3 pm your time.

As for other communities, I’ve used iTalki and Tandem for German. Both have iOS apps but not sure if they have android apps (I assume that they do). There is a fairly large population of spanish speakers there but most of the time its people learning like you or native speakers wanting to get a paid gig tutoring…Can be a bit hit and miss.

Oh, with those times, I’m assuming you’re in Wales…

2 Likes

Helo hello hola hallo!

That would be amazing, @daeld-daeldia, thanks! I’d love to try out on someone else that’s familiar with the method. I can’t guarantee that I won’t get at all mixed up, but I’m trying to keep Welsh equally fresh during the Spanish project and I think that’s going OK so far.

I’ll pm you about possible times…

2 Likes

Woopsy @netmouse! You’re brilliant throwing yourself into Spanish. I didn’t get further than Level 1 Challenge 4 and written a mini blog post of about 5 rows, that’s all. :slight_smile: Congrats!

Might be more appropriate, yes. If you don’t mind doing this I can do that. Let me know.

1 Like

Thank you, @tatjana. Yes, I think I’ve sussed how to find practice partners now - and it’s so much easier than it used to be for Welsh!! (And how amazing that Slack is up and running now for the current generation of Welsh learners!)

Mooved the topic to the right category. Might be you find some more new people who’d be willing to talk in Spanish to you on this side of the forum. :slight_smile:

Somewhere in the future I might pull for your sleeve and ask you for some Spanish chat too. I bet you’d be prety much fluent in Spanish too when I come along. :slight_smile:

Good luck!
Tatjana

@tatjana, I would love to hablar espagnol ‘at’ you / each other, any time! (I’m not sure if it can count as a ‘sgwrs’ yet!)

2 Likes

Might be soon. I surely won’t wait for my confidency in the speaking but rather for more vocabulary. I don’t want to use every second word in English though. But we can invent new language … Cyspaňol for example. :slight_smile:

1 Like