Seren yr Wythnos | Star of the Week

Hurry, hurry then. Take everything for just in case! :smile:

1 Like

They will be by the time you arrive - I’ve prepped them… :wink:

1 Like

‘The Beard’ aka @gruntius:wink:

1 Like

It’s the other non-natives you need to be careful of. I’ve heard there’s a group of SSiWers intending to be there, mind your back.

2 Likes

So, getting back to Kev, who I first met as @wondersheep when he came along to a meetup in the Mochyn Du in Cardiff. It was right at the beginning of his learning Welsh journey, and it still brings a smile to my face to remember Kev launching a sentence with a couple of words and an optimistic look on his face, only to make a lengthy pause with a sort of choking sound, then shut his eyes and bang his head on the table. I sometimes think the only reason he kept coming was that Mrs Wondersheep had choir practice that night, so it was better than alternatives.

Fast forward a few weeks and he came along to a different conversation group - Clonc yn y Cwtsch - in Canton, and I watched as he had a 15-minute conversation with someone he hadn’t met before. There’s no stopping him now, I thought! Since then I’ve only caught up occasionally, but his Welsh has come on in leaps and bounds.

Having an IT background myself, I was also very impressed by Kev’s knowledge and obvious talent in that area. SSi is very lucky to have him to add his expert knowledge to a great development team.

Looking forward to seeing you and Cath again soon - hopefully tonight!!

6 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: SSiW[sold out]Party in Caernarfon - 29/04/17 (follow for info + activities)

Diolch o galon @tatjana

Thanks pawb. I think the summary is that my contribution is to talk lots, and from time to time try turning it on and off again. Which is fair :slight_smile:
(And more importantly to bring @Cath2 into the SSiW world)

Hi from the parti.

3 Likes

I’m afraid the name is quite uninteresting - at Uni a friend just decided that I needed a sheep-related name due to being Welsh. I only wear a cape on special occasions.

3 Likes

Works kind of warm to me (what i’ve said once in the past already) so (please) don’t change it. :slight_smile:

Hi to the parti!
:slight_smile:

At the risk of interrupting Kev’s justified praise yet again - if anyone is wondering why I made the thread private earlier this evening, the explanation is quite simple - I’m twp! :blush:
I had the opportunity of apologising in person to Kev this evening at the wonderful SSiW birthday party.
Now back to Kev please. :smile:

3 Likes

Great to meet you in person Wondersheep!

2 Likes

Oh, it’s Friday!

Seren yr Wythnos #9

:star: :star2: James Mahoney :star2: :star:

Another of our tech marvels, the only thing you need to do to find James is mention an Android app anywhere on the forum - within a matter of seconds, he’ll be busy helping you - which looks like a huge contribution in and of itself - until you realise that he doesn’t just help everyone, he also built the Android app in the first place…:slight_smile:

James is full of ideas (in fact, I owe him an email at the moment, but I’m busy writing this instead - sorry, James!) - and has been a hugely valuable contributor to our (mostly tech) volunteer group on Slack. You may have seen some of the clever tech stuff he’s put together - his activities list for the south-east looks to me like a potential model for the whole of Wales, as soon as someone (yes, we’d like it to be us!) can give it some proper support.

He’s also been a staunch meetup leader and supporter - in the not-always-an-easy-sell-for-Welsh south eastern part of the country - something else which I think is one of the most important things happen, and want very much to be able to support more.

In fact, the more I look at what James does (when I’m not getting emails from him with his surname Mahoney on them, because that distracts me by making me think of Police Academy), the more I see him as a very important outlier/front line for a lot of the most important stuff that we need to try and achieve over the next ten years or so.

I’m looking forward very much to when we can actually put some investment behind our general enthusiasm in that direction.

James has always struck me as quieter in person than I expect from his text contributions - I suspect he probably spends a lot of the time he’s in my company thinking ‘You really don’t need quite so many words’. Nonetheless, he’s been kind enough to keep on putting up with me, and keep on providing massive value to this community.

If you use the Android app, it’s time to say thank you…:wink:

If you’re glad the forum is not full of Android users demanding an app, it’s time to say thank you…:wink:

If you’re glad the forum is not full of Android users asking increasingly furious unanswered questions, it’s time to say thank you…:wink:

James, we salute you!

Seren yr Wythnos #1

:star: :star2: Iestyn ap Dafydd :star2: :star:

Seren yr Wythnos #2

:star: :star2: Catrin Lliar Jones :star2: :star:

Seren yr Wythnos #3

:star: :star2: Cat Dafydd :star2: :star:

Seren yr Wythnos #4

:star: :star2: Dee McCarney :star2: :star:

Seren yr Wythnos #5

:star: :star2: Spenny :star2: :star:

Seren yr Wythnos #6

:star: :star2: Jeff Lewis :star2: :star:

Seren yr Wythnos #7

:star: :star2: Ifan Baines :star2: :star:

Seren yr Wythnos #8

:star: :star2: Kev Smith :star2: :star:

Seren yr Wythnos #9

:star: :star2: James Mahoney :star2: :star:

9 Likes

@jamesmahoney here he is!

2 Likes

I rather miss @theblacksparrow - which looks as though it doesn’t exist any more… :frowning:

2 Likes

Diolch @jamesmahoney

2 Likes

Thanks to James. I’m not an Android user as my primary SSi device (So thanks Jeff too), but the work (on both) is invaluable.

3 Likes

http://chat.cymru/

for anyone who missed it

2 Likes