Short brutal intensive course for beginners or near-beginners

So last night was interesting. For one, I actually slept well for the first time in a week :thumbsup:

The other thing was that I didn’t do any conscious learning of Welsh yesterday, but it didn’t seem to matter as I dreamt that I was learning and speaking in Welsh! At one point, there was such a strong ‘POW’ moment, as my brain remembered/worked out a word it needed, that it woke me up :laughing: and then the actual contents of the dream eluded me :confused:

This definitely felt like my first actual dream in Welsh :thumbsup:, as opposed to last week when I was more awake and my brain was just processing the information it had been exposed to.

6 Likes

I slept well last night too, @hilary. I am hoping to say a few words to my welsh speaking friends at church this morning (if I don’t wimp out!).

@tatjana I will admit to zoning out a few (several) times during the week and not even hearing entire sentences, but that tended to be when I wasn’t crocheting at the same time - maybe doing something with your hands at the same time, or perhaps going for a walk, would help?

Do also bear in mind that although we have done a week and got through the material, I wouldn’t necessarily expect us to be better Welsh speakers than people who are doing it more slowly. We are, by no means, experts! Still a long way and lots of practise to go!

5 Likes

Italy v Wales heddiw. Never normally watch rugby, but I’ll be following it today - yn y Gymraeg, wrth cwrs :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It is I, the third man, still decompressing (excuse the pun) and trying to digest all that has taken place over the last week. I have undertaken many courses of various types over the years but none compare to this. The high intensity is still quite a shock, even though we knew what will take place. Hillary and Olwen have described more eloquently than I ever could the trials and tribulations; whereas Hillary could sit in her rooms for hours at a time I was bouncing off the walls after day two so on day three I undertook an 8 mile walk whilst listening to the lessons and I think I took in more that day than the previous two. Thereafter every morning was spent outside.
When we played lego in the evening, constructing sentences, Aran was wonderful in dragging out of us the language we didn`t even know had settled into our brain
I think the language is still settling in and I know there are some big grammatical gaps that I need to fill in asap that will allow me to go out there and speak confidently.

6 Likes

It’s a shame Jiffy won’t be commenting on S4C.

Rhifau
Mae rhaid iddyn nhw fynd i’r chwith
Hunanfeddiant

1 Like

For all the money of this world I’d not do that! :slight_smile: Croeso! :slight_smile:

I’d watch it too and sing the anthem along with chaps, but … lucky you! I don’t live in UK so I’d have to search for live stream (oh, not search really as I use the same link over and over again during all these years) ad have no choice will it be in Cymraeg or Saesneg …But I’ll be (mentally) there with the boys. Hope our neighbours wouldn’t prepare us as big surprise as Scotland did yesterday over Ireland. I love my neighbours but I love Wales more. :smile: :smile: :smile:

Yes, you’re right. But, of course, I have to bear in mind one more thing: I’m getting up very early in the morning (around 4:30) and usually get in bed very early in the morning :smile: (around 1:00 or 2:00 am) so if I once say I went to bed at midnight for example, they usually ask me if I’m ill or something. :smile:

HEY! HELO! CROESO YMA! :slight_smile:

Techy person? :slight_smile:

O, yes. I know that part thanks to ceratin circumstances and his will to talk to me over Skype! :slight_smile: Diolch o galon un waith mwy, Aran.

No, he’s always on BBC 1 if he’s there. I love his comments to the bits! His analisys of the actions, how he laughs if something tends to be really funny and gets a bit upset when it doesn’t everything go right way or the way he’d do things. I often say he’s my third eye as I dont’ see the game too well even on TV/computer screen.

Oh, by the way, not to go too far off this particular Intensive learning topic, we should maybe discuss 6 Nations here as we have separate topic for that.

All in all … Hwyl i chi bawb. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I remember when it was very fashionable to learn things in ones sleep! There was a theory that, if you played an audio lesson during the night, you would learn it in your sleep. I shall Google it to find out whether the notion was debunked or ???
Testing seems to have debunked it, so the Brave New World method will not work. However, learning as one is waking or dropping off may happen, which might mean you, @tatjana recall what you heard as you were trying to stay awake, and @hilary too!
Oh, and @hilary henddraig is just an accurate description of a 75 year old crotchety Welsh female with bad lungs! I didn’t have to put any effort into coining it! When I was still working, I am fairly sure my progress around various buildings was marked by whispered warnings, “The dragon’s coming!”

2 Likes

Commercial diver!

2 Likes

Well, first conversion in Welsh outside of the SSIW prison, I mean cottage, done! (With a friend of mine who is a second langauge welsh speaker and Welsh teacher at secondary school). So now that scary bit is over it will hopefully become more natural to speak a bit of Welsh each time I see her.

5 Likes

Ffantastig!

3 Likes

Bendigedig Olwen!! Da iawn. Nid wyf wedi yn siarad cymraeg eto

4 Likes

Byddi ti!

2 Likes

Ahh, I thought @simonadeydavies is computer geek. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: [quote=“henddraig, post:37, topic:6518”]
so the Brave New World method will not work.
[/quote]

Haha … I’m living proof of that. :slight_smile: [quote=“OlwenR, post:39, topic:6518”]
outside of the SSIW prison
[/quote]

haha! I love this one! (not to be mean though.) :slight_smile: [quote=“OlwenR, post:39, topic:6518”]
t will hopefully become more natural to speak a bit of Welsh each time I see her.
[/quote]

Natural first, then pleasant thing after that a great habit. If you’d always speak to her in Welsh it will end up she will not even try to start a conversation in English … Da iawn ti!

2 Likes

Just watched my first ever rugby match - in Welsh, of course :slight_smile: - what a good one to start with! And I was so surprised by how much of the commentary I could actually understand, and how many new words I could figure out and add to my storehouse of information. Still find it incredible to believe this transformation has only taken one week!!!

4 Likes

@hilary @OlwenR @simonadeydavies - thank you all so, SO much for this feedback - huge amounts to digest - incredibly helpful… :star: :star2:

I’m going to dig some time out tomorrow to respond properly, and to put together some of my own thoughts about the week… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I am very impressed if you are not a rugby fan, that you picked up Welsh words, as you may not have known the English ones!

1 Like

That’s true. I’d never thought of that :laughing:

1 Like

Just posted this on the ‘5 Day Welsh’ Facebook group:

You can see initial comments from Hilary and Olwen on this page - and they’ve posted fascinating and much more detailed feedback on the forum:

[yes, you’re on that thread now!]

So now, my thoughts on how it went, and what happens next.

First up, and very simply: it worked.

5 days of massive effort took three people from ‘not far off scratch’ through to genuine communication (I’m busy uploading the videos via our painfully slow connection right now).

In fact, they achieved more than I expected - most particularly in terms of their listening skills. We know that the accelerated listening triggers a neurological adaptation - but I thought it would take more than 5 days to kick in - previously, people have told us that it took about two weeks at 5 minutes a day.

Now, it seems that (while I would still expect more consolidation over time) the total time listening is an important part of this - an hour a day for 5 days clearly triggered some genuinely valuable adaptations.

But…

Can we do better?

Yes, I think we can.

All 3 of our pioneers found the extended periods of time when they were ploughing through the lessons very challenging (in different ways). So I think we could provide more support there - team breaks on the hour, maybe some little treat morale boosts, that sort of stuff. It would mean a longer, tougher day for the course leader - or maybe having more than one on the support team - but we want to push the limits, so this is important stuff to get right.

I’ve also been challenged convincingly to reconsider the immersion element of the 5 Day approach.

We know that immersion is vital for our intermediate bootcamps - but for people starting from scratch (or near to scratch) there may be less value to the immersion - as long as the 2 hours of spoken production still happen. I’m always very, very wary of things that seem ‘easier’ - they can have hidden costs - but I think our next run will test what happens without immersion (ie, with English allowed in between activities).

I also think we could do more to pamper our learners - who thoroughly deserve it when they’re making this kind of effort. We’ve already been thinking about head massages, but I think it would also be good to do more catering. Our pioneers all seemed to be eating pretty well, but I think having some catering done would add to the sense of enjoyment - and the more enjoyment we can wrap around the undeniable suffering, the better!

Of course, these sort of additions aren’t cost-free. I’m starting to understand why the best language school I’ve ever visited (Regina Coeli, in the Netherlands: https://www.reginacoeli.com/) costs about £5000 a week. We will always want to make learning Welsh, in particular, as low cost as possible - but we may need to work out some kind of partnership approach for that.

Next steps

We’re looking at two things.

One is a possible date in Portmeirion.

The other is a not-quite-so-expensive next stage test in Caernarfon - towards the end of March.

We haven’t finished costing-out the Portmeirion option - but it’s knocking on for a grand just to stay there, so with the extras we want to add, that one’s going to be moderately eye-watering.

The test in Caernarfon, by contrast, we’ll try to keep to about £600 or £700 - depending a bit on how much it costs to add some of the extras I mentioned above.

If you’d like to hear when we announce specific dates and prices (for people to say if they’re interested or not), you’ve got two options:

1 - Trust Facebook to let you know when I post in this group, or

2 - Stick your name on our email alert list (for 5 Day Super-Intensive dates only) here: https://forms.aweber.com/form/88/754447788.htm

5 Likes

I wonder if the welsh only rule should only kick in from say wednesday.

I can’t imagine its doing anyone any good to be isolated from communication even if for a few days.

No english tv, radio or books, so for example welsh music is fine to help listening and bilingual menus at meal times perhaps.

For family people i would want to speak to my partner or children.

I wonder also about using cottages where you could have someone cook for the learners but giving them a lesson on how to in welsh but with a picture cribsheet.

All maybe daft ideas, but hey, that’s how the post it note came about! (sort of).

2 Likes

Think I’d agree on that point - it would have been nice to have known a meal would be on the table after all the morning’s and afternoon’s slog.

Another good idea. It’s probably something I wouldn’t like to do, but I’m sure there are plenty who would. It’s not that I don’t like head massages (I love them and am a trained therapist), but there are times when I like my brain to remain in a heightened sense of tension, as long as it’s only for a few days, at most. I find that if I’m intensely involved in something, then undertake something to relax me, it’s then extremely difficult to get the motivation to get back into what I was doing - when I’ve been a relaxing-type holiday from work, it can take me days to get back up to speed (don’t tell my boss… :wink: ). The only time I might enjoy it is if the course was longer than a week, with the weekend off, then a massage on the Friday night would be very welcome.

Again, I’m not sure about this one. I liked the flexibility of being able to work to my own time-table and to take a natural break when I was ready for one, but again, some people may like the idea.

:thumbsup: to that one :smile: The chocolates were very much appreciated, although I probably shouldn’t have eaten my weight in them… :grimacing:

3 Likes