Sinnging to writing words

hello people who knows welsh <:
if im posting at wrong place im sorry.
there is a song called 382 seaside who use singing sample witch i understand is sung in welsh,
very hard to find people who know speak and write welsh, if any1 here could listen to it and write me the words ill be very happy,
thanks a head.

the song:

1 Like

My knowledge of Welsh language is not good enough to help you with transcription, yet.

However I’d like to say that I got hooked to the sound of Welsh language through a song myself.
Went looking around the web for a little help with understanding what the lyrics were saying and… found myself learning Welsh. :joy:

Turns out that I’m really enjoying it, so I would suggest you to give a try to the trial lesson here on SaySomethinginWelsh, when you have a little spare time! :wink:

3 Likes

It’s quite difficult to hear clearly what she is singing but after the second time of listening it was getting easier. I do not have enough time to spend on this today but will try later in the week if nobody comes back to you. Which I’m sure someone with better listening/translation skills will. I would be interested to know who they sampled it from. Any idea?

2 Likes

hi, thank you for reply, i wish i knew where the sample is from, i spend some time looking info, could not find any.
thats why i came here, hopefully someone could transcript it here, or at least some words so i could google for lyrics (:

2 Likes

WOW the lyrics are from this. in little diffrant order
you are amazing, thank you so much <3

1 Like

Hi avshalom-david & welcome.
No, not at all. I dont think I’d heard it before although it’s stuck in my head now.

Anyway I just searched on the first few words, et voila! I think that’s French (Frangeg) :grin:

A quick google search finds these …

Mae ‘nghariad i’n Fenws,
Mae ‘nghariad i’n fain,
Mae ‘nghariad i’n dlysach
Na blodau y drain.
Fy nghariad yw’r lana’
A’r wynna’n y sir.
Nid canmol yr ydwyf
Ond dwedyd y gwir.

Wych eneth fach annwyl
Sy’n lodes mor lân
A’i gruddiau mor writgoch
A’i dannedd mân, mân;
A’i dau lygad siriol,
A’i dwy ael fel gwawn;
Fy nghalon a’i carai
Pe gwyddwn y cawn.

Mae `nghariad i’n caru
Fel cawod o law,
Weithiau ffordd yma
Ac weithiau ffordd draw,
Ond cariad pur ffyddlon
Ni charith ond un,
Y sawl a gâr lawer
Gaiff fod heb yr un.

2 Likes

I see @JohnYoung already found something and @gruntius did his part (I was too slow to do anything before them :smile:) but still I darred to do this:

I’ve written to Ott on Bandcamp this letter:

Hello first.

I am Tatjana Prelog, living in Slovenia but learning Welsh and I’m a member of the forum where all those who learn and speak Welsh under the SaySomethingInWelsh flag are learning the language.

As we’ve recognized your song 382 Seaside is sampled (or recorded for that matter) in Welsh we were curious about the lyrics. I doubt you can help us with transcription of the lyrics but if you could tell us who sampled the singing so that we’d be able to ask her for the desired transcripts it would be really nice.

The original topic on the forum is here if you’d kindly want to give some of your precious time into reading it. Sinnging to writing words.

For any help or answer to our request we’re grateful in deed.

Kind regards
Tatjana Prelog
(member of Bandcamp - your follower) :slight_smile:

The messatge was sent and so I await for the answer although I’m not sure I’d get it but you never know.

I did this partly also because I’m interested into who sings this particular sample also. The voice is great so I’ve got interested in the thing. :slight_smile:

EDIT
The song reminds me on the bootcamp. Was that one of the songs we tried to sing? Hearing posted Geraint’s version made me aware I know the melody from somewhere … or was it one of previous Online Eisteddfodau task to master? I don’t know really.

Hwyl!
Tatjana :slight_smile:

2 Likes

WOW guys thanks for all the help, i now understand she took words from 2 songs:
Beth yw’r Haf i Mi and Mae 'nghariad i’n Fenws
you guys was super helpfull and super fast, thank you sooo much

2 Likes

haah he allready been asked about this, and he answer he do not know <:

You never know. Maybe he got some knowledge in time.

My proverb is: Never spare to ask things you don’t know if even they were answered before. Different aspect of question brings different answers so … here we are. And I’m never afraid to ask things at original source, who Ott is at this matter. :slight_smile:

its true.
well if he answer to you that he dont know, im sure he be happy to hear we got it and can tell him where its from <:

lyrics:
Mae ‘nghariad i’n Fenws,
Na blodau y drain.
Nid canmol yr ydwyf
A’r wynna’n y sir.

Mae ‘nghariad i’n Fenws,
Ond dwedyd y gwir.
Nid canmol yr ydwyf
A’r wynna’n y sir.

Beth yw’r haf i mi
Dwed y ddoi di eto’n ôl
Er pan gollais di
dim ond hirlwm er pan gollais ti

I’ve put the link to the topic in the letter so if he’d be interested he’d be able to read.

I’m just listening to his newest reelease at the moment though and since I love Electronic music and these kind of mixes this relaxes me very much. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Been becoming a huge Ott fan the past few months. Just got the Skylon album and noticed that 382 Seaside sounded like Welsh. Got enough of the first verse to Google my way to this discussion. Many thanks to those who posted the source two songs and the first 3 verses. The lyrics are a still a bit incomplete as the next three verses repeat with variations followed by another verse. I think I’ve cobbled together the complete lyrics. Keep in mind I only know basic Welsh from SSIW and Duo, so there may still be an error. Let me know of any corrections:

Mae ‘nghariad i’n Fenws
Na blodau y drain
Nid canmol yr ydwyf
A’r wynna’n y sir

Mae ‘nghariad i’n Fenws
Ond dwedyd y gwir
Nid canmol yr ydwyf
A’r wynna’n y sir

Beth yw’r haf i mi
Dwed y ddoi di eto’n ôl
Er pan gollais di
Dim ond hirlwm er pan gollais ti

Mae ‘nghariad i’n Fenws
Na blodau y drain
Nid canmol yr ydwyf
A’r wynna’n y sir

Mae ‘nghariad i’n Fenws
Ond dwedyd y gwir
Nid canmol yr ydwyf
A’r wynna’n y sir

Beth yw’r haf i mi
Dwed y ddoi di eto’n ôl
Er pan gollais di
Nid yw hirddydd haf yn ddim i mi

Nid yw’r haf i mi’n
Gariad bach, er cilio’n ffôl
Er pan gollais di
Dim ond hirlwm er pan gollais ti

Apologies to actual Welsh-speaking humans! Here is the machine (ChatGPT) translation of james-lick’s post:

My love is in Fenws
Not the flowers of the briar
I do not praise
And the whin in the field

My love is in Fenws
But to tell the truth
I do not praise
And the whin in the field

What is summer to me
Say you’ll come back again
Though when I lost you
Only the moorland when I lost you