Sorry if this has been asked - I'm very new

Hi,

I am very new (only just having attempted Challenge 1, which I think I need to retry tomorrow as I failed to grasp most of it, probably because it’s late and I am tired and I only found this site tonight. Looks fab. I hope to be able to actually hold a decent conversation with my Boyfriend and his family (and to know what they are saying when they all switch to Welsh…call me paranoid!).

My issue is, I can’t roll my Rs. At all. Will I still be understood? I find it impossible. I am also a little confused by the rhythm that the two speakers use on the lesson. The lady speaks with a more melodic tone and rhythm. Is she supposed to be speaking naturally and the man speaking slower and clearer or have I misunderstood.

Thanks in advance and thanks for making such an amazing resource. (Just need to find out which dialect he speaks seeing as he is from Aberystwyth and apparently it can be either according to a link I found on here, but it makes more sense to try and fit with what his family speak).

4 Likes

You will be understood. Most English speakers are unable to roll their Rs unless they specifically train those muscles in their mouths, and that’s fine. Also, she’s speaking more naturally - it’s worth trying to mimic that rhythm if you can.

Otherwise, it’s best to do this kind of thing when you’re wide awake and relaxed. You’re not expected to get it all right, and much of what you found challenging will be revisited in the second challenge.

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum, James, it is going to be an exciting and amazingly rewarding journey, we promise!

2 Likes

Welcome to the SSiW world James!
I can’t roll my Rs (even after 20+ years) either but it really doesn’t get in the way - I think it’s something we hear in our own heads as being much worse than other people do. What I have found is that focusing on it makes it worse (i.e. makes it more frustrating), so try not to let it bother you. Also, I’ve found that even 1st language speakers roll their Rs to varying degrees, they don’t all do the full rrrrrrrr either! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You’ll be fine. I had to repeat lessons 1-6 many times when I started then something just clicked and everything starts to speed up. Plus you’ve got a fabulous chance to practice if your boyfriend and his family support your learning.

1 Like

Welcome (Croeso) to the Forum @JamesGoulding. I agree that you are in the best possible position to learn - if you can persuade your partner to speak to you in Welsh (Cymraeg). There is a whole thread on here on that subject I’ll find it eventually and send you a link!
Click here to see and then use the left arrow at the top of screen to come back!

1 Like

I had a great-uncle who said his Rs in his throat, as if they were French. Nobody had any problem understanding him…:slight_smile:

And a very warm welcome to the forum!

1 Like

Thanks for all the replies. This community is already showing itself to be really friendly and welcoming.

One more thing. I re-did the first session again and was ok (ish) for the first 20 minutes. After that my brain fogged and I kept falling over myself or just screaming “I can’t remember how to say that!” (With a few more expletives.

Do I re-do that one until I am more comfortable or try the next one in the hope that thins will sink in? How do I know when I am ready to move on?

This one… :slight_smile:

Think of it as a different option for repetition - instead of going 111111, 2222222, 3333333 you go 1, 2, 3, 4… 24, 25 and then 1, 2, 3 - if you need to - but by then, you’ll probably find the earliest sessions trivially easy…:slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @aran I’ll do that. Going to go with my excitement whilst I still have it and try lesson 2 now.

Just sent my boyfriend a very short “I am trying to learn to speak Welsh” as a voice message, and he understood! Yey!

9 Likes

All those Yey moments are really important. Try and remember them. Make up another sentence and send another voice message. The simple act of communicating and being understood in a new language is almost intoxicating!

2 Likes

I will, but he’s in the pub and it’s all a bit loud in there. He’ll be singing Sosban Fach anytime now!

3 Likes

Do you know what the words of Sosban fach mean in English? Get your partner to tell you! Then you can sing along understanding! The first bits of Welsh I ever understood were the words of Sosban fach, Mae hen wlad fy nhadau, Calon lan etc. etc.!!

James,

I’m not surprised that you didn’t grasp much when tired. Sounds normal.

Best of luck.

1 Like

He has explained.

Something about a bug saucepan on the cooker, and a little one on the floor.

Dai is a soldier and then the servant dies.

Oh and someone hurt their finger.

Makes perfect sense!

6 Likes

it made me realise that it didn’t matter if it made sense, it was daily life in a previous era! oh and the baby is crying in its cradle and the tail of Dai’s shirt is torn!

1 Like

<>

That’s my rugby team’s anthem that is… :wink:

Welcome to the forum. James. I’m glad to heat that you are doing so well (really - leaving understandable voice mail messages is no mean feat this early in your learning career! Well done!), and keep updating us here, especially when you hit challenges that seem more difficult than you would like. There are [plenty of people here who have already achieved what you are trying to do, so there’s some awesome advice available by people who wnat to lift you up to where they are.

What could be better?

I hope you really enjoy yourself!

Iestyn

2 Likes