SSiW and the Big Change - brace yourselves!

Is the dragon app anything to do with the voice dictation application Dragon?

I must admit that Iā€™d not previously looked closely at the Growth Club - with its 736 posts itā€™s the sort of thing I wonder whether Iā€™d still be alive by the time I finished reading it! And I get the impression that quite a few joined in 2015? But from @aranā€™s reply above, maybe this is still the best way of helping increase accessibility to SSIW? Does the Growth Club need flagging up again for newer members or those that might have overlooked it - or am I just out-of-date?

1 Like

In the interest of quickly clarifying the relative increase, let me mention that no currency conversion is necessary since the units cancel out in the ratio. So if we include VAT we have a factor of 12/3.95=3, while without VAT it would be just 10/3.95, basically a factor of two-and-a-half (2.5x).

That $3.50 looks like it would correspond to something more like Ā£2.95 (or even Ā£2.59) rather than the previous Ā£3.95, which would have been roughly $5 per month. Unfortunately this doesnā€™t helpā€”the current price is as high as it ever was, even though the previous price was not quite as cheap as it may have appeared.

2 Likes

Nope, although speech recognition is part of it - itā€™s the idea weā€™ve started talking about here:

:slight_smile:

A kind thought, but the Growth Club is closed now - it got us through the tight squeeze we were in at the time, and as soon as we can (hopefully imminent!) weā€™re going to be offering Growth Clubbers the chance to switch off their contributions and keep full access to everything for everā€¦:slight_smile:

We may also offer them the option to switch it over to supporting the Dragon app, if weā€™ve got a working model to show by thenā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

Dragon app?? Whats a dragon app.

Itā€™s when a dragon has 40 winks! :smile:

6 Likes

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Why not just hold the Growth Club without terminating it. At least I donā€™t expect anything in return but to be able to access the materials through which I could learn and improve. This is reward enough for my Growth Club contributions + monthly membership I already am paying too. ā€¦

If you switch me off Iā€™ll switch me on again ā€¦ unless you ban me. :slight_smile: because SSiW gave me so much, not just the possibility of learning language(s).

2 Likes

:smiley: :laughing: :star: :star2:

2 Likes

Hi, where will I find Becaā€™s new stuff? Diolch

Weā€™ll be figuring out a section in the VERY near future - Iā€™m whipping Ifan on an important piece of stats work that we need, and then weā€™ll be opening up the advanced material either (fingers crossed) by the end of this week or (worst case scenario) next weekā€¦ :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Diolch

Awww. Rats. Iā€™m just too late to the party. Iā€™ll finish Level 1, then subscribe.
PS: Iā€™m loving it, even though it is really hard work, and am delighted with the progress Iā€™ve experienced in just a few weeks. I just need to keep going this time and not let circumstances intervene.
Thank you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi, Any news on Beccaā€™s new section? sorry to nag! Iā€™m just super keen!
Mandy

Aiming to be up and running this week! :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Great! How will I find it? Mandy :grinning:

1 Like

By the skin of our teeth, thanks to some fast last minute coding from @kinetic, this will be live tomorrow - when you click on ā€˜Learnā€™ on the learning side of the site (so thatā€™s two clicks on ā€˜Learnā€™ from here on the forum) youā€™ll see ā€˜Structured coursesā€™, ā€˜Challengesā€™, ā€˜Growth Clubā€™ (if youā€™re a member) and ā€˜Intensive coursesā€™ - from an indeterminate point tomorrow afternoon, ā€˜Growth Clubā€™ will have switched to ā€˜Advancedā€™, and if you click on that youā€™ll see the new content.

Itā€™s going to be pretty lo-fi at first, but weā€™ll prettify it in the not-too-distant futureā€¦ :slight_smile:

P. S. Growth Club members will still be able to access GC content - just by clicking on ā€˜Advancedā€™, and then on the link at the top of the next page (that will only appear to GC members).

9 Likes

Great stuff; and as an introduction, Iā€™m sure I heard you, @beca-brown on Radio Cymruā€™s Post Cyntaf this morning :slight_smile:

1 Like

You did indeed! And I gather there were some interesting background chats about SSiW happening there, but Iā€™ll leave that for Beca to talk about when she gets the hang of the forumā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

What an amazing resource! Thanks Beca and everyone involved.

1 Like