Struggling with Level 1? Some good news

Just a thought for anyone who is struggling with Level 1 and perhaps going through a “I really don’t know if I can cope with this” phase.
When I first started with Level 1 I remember my brain completely locking up after hearing the English, a feeling that the Welsh was complete gobbledegook and also a feeling that I would never, ever, get the hang of it, even with repeated use of the pause button.
Sound familiar?
Well, I kept on with it and, do you know, almost imperceptibly the whole thing got easier. I’m now halfway through Level 2 and the “listen in English and say in Welsh” thing has gone from being a completely alien, panic inducing, mind-freezing experience to a perfectly normal way of working. No, I don’t get it all right, but I can just work steadily through it without having to use the pause button at all.
What is more, I was apprehensive about moving from Level 1 to Level 2. I needn’t have been. My experience is that if you can complete Level 1, then Level 2 isn’t anything to worry about.
So, if you are at the early lessons of Level 1 and thinking that you’ll never be able to crack it, don’t worry. Just keep working through the lessons regularly and, if my experience is anything to go by, bit by bit it will start to fall into place without you even noticing.
Stick with it!

24 Likes

Great advice here - and well done on your excellent results, Gareth! :star: :star2:

2 Likes

Yes, agree with that. Level 2 isn’t harder, just more of the same, and goes over Level 1 at the same time…so plough on!!

3 Likes

Thank you for the encouraging post. Sounds almost exactly how I felt! I have completed level 1 but was getting more and more behind and felt pressured. I asked to be put on pause a couple of weeks ago, I needed the time to catch up. I have since un-paused myself and completed lessons 1&2 of level 2. I also revised the final lesson of level 1 a couple of times, so don’t feel quite so lost. I hope I can improve and find it a little easier, as you have found. Your encouragement has given me some peace of mind. Thank you.
Having said all that I do enjoy learning Welsh and laugh a lot!

3 Likes

I’m currently working on Level 1, Challenge 12 and, although my mind regularly gets tied up in knots, I’ve really noticed how some of the earlier stuff (that I remember being equally knotted up by) has gradually become second nature. e.g. Now, when Aran says ‘’…ask you something’, it’s instant recall but, at the time, I thought I’d never, ever get it! The continual repetition really does work. It’s brilliant!

2 Likes

Thanks for this advice- all great. I started with challenge 1 this evening, and it was all going fine but then this really strange freeze started- not being able to get anything out- some flowed quite well, then some of it I really struggled with!

It appears I’m not alone there! See you all out there​:joy::+1:

2 Likes

Oh yes, Gareth! That all sounds SO familiar. But no matter how strange it seems or how desperate you feel at times, the crazy, wonderful thing is that IT WORKS!!! So to all new comers, “Just keep on keeping on”.

3 Likes

So encouraged to read your post ,i have just started week8 level 1.I really enjoy the process of repetition but must admit i feel a lot of anxiety in the day as i have odd things popping into my head(earworms)going round and round not making sense.I have learned a lot but need more confidence to speak which will hopefully come with time.Reading posts like yours is so encouraging.thank you.
Diolch yn Fawr

3 Likes

Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

3 Likes