Tatjana - progress reports

Dwi’n dda iawn. Diolch.

Of course I’ll try to use shorter version but I decided I won’t mind too much what comes to me first. I have no problems with understanding things until now though.

That’s interesting! Shows how language can often be understood easily through context, which is always an important thing to remember.

As has been said, “nest ti + verb” and “verb stem +est ti ending” are two ways of saying the same thing. It’s partly because of dialects.

“Wnest ti + verb” is used far more often in the North of Wales whilst the short form is used far more often in the South (and in literature).

So the “wnest ti” form can be used hardly at all, or almost all the time, depending on where you are - and use by individuals can vary, of course!

So the worst that could happen if you use “wnest ti” all the time is that you might sound like some people from the North of Wales - which a lot of people actually aspire to! :wink:

1 Like

OK. You convinced me even more I use whatever comes to my brains first.

Le’ts see what Level 1 Challenge 8 brings … :slight_smile:

Despite it’s my second reply in this topic in a row I just have to write down this, let’s say, for me, revolutionary discovery. (and it’s earlier then after a month :slight_smile: )

Being on Level 1 Challenge 10 (one challenge per day I do, remember?!) I’ve just found out making Course 1 and all Vocab lessons before moving to Level 1 was very useful for me. I found Level 1 is much easier to cope with no matter that when I started it was HUGE!!! confusion to me and it was one more (2nd) point when I was on the way out, leaving forever.

So, it might happen someone else would find this way of learning going to his/her way because the more you do Level 1 after doing Course 1 the more familiar it all seams to you and even those different things don’t seam so horrible in a time anymore.

I also love how Level 1 tends to practice each and every thing taught in previous Challenges so you never forget to practice anything.

However I’m moving from dwedest ti problem to doni ddim yn … (I couldn’t find how to write down this properly) one now, being taught Wnes i ddim … before, but I FINALLY!!! can’t be bothered with it too much. It will come (as @Iestyn says) naturally.

So, maybe you’ll want to start with Course 1 going through all those brain melting thingys (especially in lessons 6a and 6b) and then go to Level 1.

Well after doing Course 1 to go on with Level 1 isn’t my revolutionary discovery though. I can’t give myself credits for that, It was @aran who gave me this advise but the feel like obaying it is revolution!

Diolch yn fawr iawn @aran!

2 Likes

Very glad to hear that you’ve found your mojo again, Tatjana :sunny:

1 Like

Some people may need some background on that new Welsh word that Aran just slipped in there:

4 Likes

I feel like conversation killer here right now, but I was so thrilled yesterday, listening to Listening practice at Challenge 10 that I just have to say this here.

This double speed listening practice is like a music to me. I was surprised that all of a sudden I’ve got quite some bits out from the whole conversation understanding almost whole sentences not just words. Nope, I didn’t cheat this time. I didn’t even read the transcript neither translation. I’ll keep them both unread for a while. I’m curious if I could at one point get whole conversation in without reading any of those texts at all.

I love Level 1 more and more but have to bear in mind I previously did whole Course 1 so it might be it all seams better and easier because of that fact though.

I’m corious what next listening practice with triple speed brings. That should be fun! :slight_smile:

The more you listen to it, the more this process should continue :sunny: :thumbsup:

Yet more surprising, it’s Northern listening exercise isn’t it?

If I one day speak Welsh fluently, it’s thanks to you @aran (and to @Iestyn’s propriately strict voice) :slight_smile:

1 Like

The differences are small enough for the listening exercises to be valuable either way round :sunny:

1 Like

I’ve just found out Challenge 13 in Level 1 is as taugh and frustrating as both Lessons 6 in Course 1. I’m totally lost …

Heia Tatjana,

What about this particular challenge is making it feel that way? The sentences get pretty long, if I remember correctly. I think it also brings in dweud wrth with its personal forms I think… Let us know and we’ll try to help.

Hwyl,

Stu

2 Likes

Dweud is the slidest problem, I’m stuck with different way of past for him and her and yes, very long sentences. I can’t even remember the whole sentence in English what to form it in Welsh. (my constant problem though).

Suggestions: should I go back to Challenge 12 and then to Challenge 13 again or should I continue with Challenge 14 no matter what? I was thinking of repeating Challeng 12 and 13 and then go further as I’m not sure how much of previous things is practiced in Challenge 14. With more material it’s understandable not everything can be practiced in each and every Challenge further on.

This is extremely common Tatjana, just do not worry about it. If you cannot remember the whole thing, make up the ending yourself. Over time, you will get a lot better at remembering long sentences, but really, honestly, it is no big deal and not worth getting frustrated about :wink:

I suggest that you push on. I listened to Challenges 12 - 20 during my drive to and from Abertawe today, and you will get lots of practise with the key stuff in the upcoming lessons!

Most of all, take a deep breath, laugh at your mistakes, enjoy your Welsh and try not to be hard on yourself. Everyone has gone through what you are experiencing, and come out the other side a Welsh speaker - and so will you. There will be down days, but over time, the highs will overwhelm the lows and as you grow in experience, you will be happy to go with the flow, believe me. The best of luck with Challenge 14, and post back with how you get on; I am certain that your story will be here to inspire other learners to persevere long into the future!

Hwyl,

Stu

2 Likes

This. Not every single word/structure is repeated in every session, but that’s because the structure of spaced repetition doesn’t require them to be - they are all, however, repeated often enough at the right kind of intervals for you to acquire them successfully if you keep on moving through the course :sunny:

I’ve pushed through the Challenge 14 yesterday only to find out I just couldn’t produce almost any single sentence so I might go back.

I just don’t quite get quite different aproach to past and future for he/she and now I’m even so confused I all of a sudden can’t remember even those I’ve learnt in Course 1. So I just now decided I’ll go back to Challenge 12 and do all three again.

I won’t post much in this topic anymore as I obviously talk too much (was warned by the forum system) and it might really be I’ve brought this topic to a bit different direction then it meant to be for what I apologize. I’ll give people space to discuss (despite I never meant to take it away from them).

So, now really, as said before in one of my previous posts, I’ll return in a month or two (hopefully if I won’t quit learning before that time)

Da boch a pob lwc i chi bawb.

I bet you don’t get warned half as often as I do! Don’t take the system warnings too literally…:wink:

You tend to rate yourself too harshly, Tatjana - I think it would be a really interesting exercise for you to attempt Challenge 15 before you go back and do a re-run through 12 onwards. If it confirms your feeling that you need to repeat, no harm done - but if you find that you do better than you were expecting, it would be a very useful nudge… :sunny:

Meanwhile, I’ll give your conversation its own thread, so that we leave this one clear for discussion about choosing which course :sunny:

1 Like

No, don’t stop posting Tatjana!

2 Likes

Diolch yn fawr iawn.

Bydda i’n trio.

I went back to Challenge 12 in Level 1 and stucked with Challenge 13.