Techy Question About avatars on Firefox

Some forum avatars are not being reproduced properly on the latest version of Firefox on Windows 10. The problem does not arise in Internet Explorer or Chrome. (I don’t use Edge). This is an example of what FF shows:

1 Like

On Opera and Chrome on a Mac some look like this (counts 6 likes, but you only see 4 “likers”)

I noticed earlier today that at least 2 or 3 users who have no avatar pic, and had the first letter of the user name appearing there instead now have…nothing.
Maybe the invisible presences are those without an avatar pic?

2 Likes

I use Avast (on my laptop) and it does display the image whether it be letter or avatar. I tested the same item on Avast, Chrome, Microsoft Edge and Firefox!avast%20like%20test
chrome%20like%20test
firefox%20like%20test
microsoft%20edge%20like%20test
Chrome on my Android phone also only shows the 8 with profile pictures too.
Hmmm…technoleg!

2 Likes

Thanks everyone. I think we can conclude that different browsers on different platforms have different ways of showing our avatars or lack of them. Clearly Firefox on Windows “abhors a vacuum” (like nature). :smile:

3 Likes

Ifan, @Kinetic, is aware of the issue, but thanks for this extra information. It might help sort out what’s going on. I use Firefox too, and it’s only just started happening over the last few days.

3 Likes

…and I have had exactly the same experience on the IOS app - it’s just started happening in the last few days.

Rich :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I don’t know if this will help @kinetic but I’ve retrieved the image info for one “invisible” avatar and one “normal”

This is Elizabeth Rowley’s which gives a “404” when I check the url. (Note the url does not include her name)
https://forum.saysomethingin.com/letter_avatar_proxy/v2/letter/e/958977/25.png

This is Gisella’s avatar info which shows normally when I view it with my browser.
https://forum.saysomethingin.com/user_avatar/forum.saysomethingin.com/gisella-albertini/25/7555_1.png

3 Likes