The SSi Growth Club

Not that I’m seeing on Clwb Tyfu items…

Did you forget @theblacksparrow that in test app - the greenny one - there’s no switch between north and south and the lessons are merged together?

So Growth club appears anyway but it’s gog version in deed.

I don’t mind listening to @CatrinLliarJones chattig about Star Wars & stuff and @aran going along with her in discussion one way or another … no problem is there gog neu de … :slight_smile:

1 Like

And 016 is recorded, transcripted and up there (this Friday thing is definitely the way to go…;-))… :sunny:

3 Likes

Phew

1 Like

You don’t need to switch to North on the site to get Growth Club content on teh app … let me test this …

On the app you have to switch to North if you want to get the Growth Club content or is there any new version of teh current “active” app? I still have 1.0.15 and no one said it’s any new there.

However, as we said, Beta Test has no regions and no Growth Club content so far.

1 Like

The latest Beta test version of the Android app now displays the growth club lesson numbers, and makes them available for both North and South regions.

More info here:

1 Like

Fab, diolch o galon.

Very sorry to everyone for missing last week - not a matter of disorganisation, just plague - the kind of flu that is so genuinely bad that Catrin (who was suffering every bit as much) didn’t even get around to making any jokes about manflu (I think she was more concerned about making sure that my last will and testament was properly drawn up).

We’re still pretty wobbly this week (as weak as kittens, and not eating much) but we’ll definitely get this week’s Growth Club done, and we’ll try and do an extra one to make up for last week. You might want to look up some words in advance, like pesychu, brifo, crio, isio marw, bron yn marw, gwres, crynu, hunllef…:wink:

3 Likes

I was actually concerned for her as I didn’t know what she is more - ill or angry upon a flu. :slight_smile:

Yah, I know how it is. When I was ill last I couldn’t put myself together for almost 3 weeks. Nothing particular state it was just not feeling well and strong enough to do anything at all. So, … well patiently wait for whatever comes just don’t rush too much . Take your time. (and sorry if this sounds like a preaching because it is not … it’s just pure concern from my heart).

I’won’t lie that I’m glad you’re back if even in “small doses” :slight_smile:

1 Like

Absolutely dont worry about doing an extra one. We all understand. You need to stay better and dont need any extra strain. But thanks for the thought!

4 Likes

I was having a nice lazy time doing half of what’s left of Level 2 Challenge 20 knowing that I had just Challenge 21 left to do - and then like a bolt of lightening Challenges 22 and 23 arrive. Even a nasty case of the flu can’t stop the SSiW steamroller rolling out more Challenges. I’m going to have to pick up my socks to keep pace! Llongyfarchiadau on producing yet more wonderful dialogues - yes a giant Llongyfarchiadau to the whole team.

Justin

4 Likes

So, we’re alive again, and you can feast your ears on the coughing and self-pity in the new Growth Club session…

I’m still planning to do an extra one to catch up, but since it turns out that we’re still mostly about as weak as kittens at the moment, it looks like being next week for that… :sunny:

4 Likes

Any idea of what proportion of the High Frequency 1000 words or High Frequency 2000 words in particular are verbs? Is there a list of the first 100 or first 200 high frequency verbs.

I hate listing nouns. I’m not too keen on listing verbs either - but I less mind looking at an existing list of verbs in groups of say 50 and seeing which ones I don’t know.

Then I’ll try to put some sentences together that resemble a dialogue to memorise the verbs.

Actually, I’m kidding myself - I learn best from SSi ’ so that’s eventually going to be my route.

But I would be interested in knowing the facts on verb frequency - if only to have a peak occasionally to get a sense of my “ignorance index”!!

Justin

Nope, not off the top of my head - but if you search for ‘British National Corpus online’ or for ‘word frequency lists English’ you should dig out some stuff that you could drill down into…

But I’d be inclined to suggest that instead of a list approach, you think in terms of recording radio interviews, and gradually working your way through them in close detail (asking on here when you get stuck) - I would hazard a guess that half-a-dozen full interviews would give you a usefully high percentage of the most functional language you need… :sunny:

2 Likes

Hi Sara,

I’m being incredibly lazy here - but do you have a sense of what proportion of your list might be verbs? Not that I’m a great learner from lists myself. I’m going to take Aran’s suggestion and try to analyse radio interviews. But I remain curious about what proportion of the top 1000 or top 2000 words are verbs;

Justin

Verb analysis: How about using the Growth Club conversations? For anyone who has access to the transcripts that would be relatively easy. Or you could use articles from Golwg360 or Cymru Fyw. I know the written language is not quite the same thing as the spoken language, but those sites are meant to be popular and fairly mainstream, so it’s not like reading the proceedings of the Sennedd or something.

2 Likes

Good question. When I get a moment I’ll have a whizz through and get a rough idea.

1 Like

I would hazard a guess that the proportion of verbs would vary from the first thousand to the second thousand. The first thousand must be loaded with the very high frequencies of everything that is a necessity to have a basic conversation (pronouns, adverbs, adjectives, nouns and verbs etc;). My guess is after that a slightly different pattern emerges. :pensive:

Justin

Sorry if you have already said this (I’m fighting a cold and am thinking even less clearly than usual), but why is the proportion of verbs important Justin? I can see it is interesting from a theoretical / academic point of view, but does it have a practical application?

1 Like

Why is the proportion of verbs important Justin?

Well, it might be unique to the way I learn. The SSi model is ideal for me. I just wish I had found it earlier. Now, to grow further with Welsh I can wait for the SSiW 2K or 4k project and then I will be the happiest man alive. Failing that and anyway, in the meantime, it would be good to boost my vocabulary.

Again this is related to my style only, but I do not like flash cards and lists. Passive styles of learning like reading and watching films I do do, but in my opinion they need to be boosted with some type of active process.

I relate to verbs better than nouns. So, my default process would go something like this:

Take a pair of interesting verbs and probably adverbs to go with them e;g; sing/loudly and shining/brightly. And with just one noun and a conjunction I can form:

The sun is shining brightly so I am singing loudly.

So if there are 200 verbs to learn that I can break down into 100 pairs - oh my goodness I am already demotivated and dying of boredom!!! But that’s my “theoretical” default method for adding vocabulary.

Aran’s idea of working with Radio interview scripts is far more interesting and intelligent.

Now, if all else fails I could always provoke Eirwen - they say when people get angry they revert to their native tongue - in which case I am sure I will learn some colourful verbs, adverbs and adjectives fired in rapid succession. But am I that desperate to accelerate my Welsh?!!

Ymlaen SSiW 2k and 4k,

Justin

1 Like

Ohhh … Here’s rain but no matter: when’s the concert? Comming to listen. :smiley:

Phiew … I wouldn’t hazard with this too much!!! :slight_smile:

[SIZE=9]UPS! Now I’m hazarding with being burnt … hehe[/size]

But now siriously, I find your method very good. Associating things is always good way of learning and I believe you need verbs the most then on you need all the rest.

1 Like