The SSi Growth Club

I’m reading a fascinating book - Welsh Myths and Legends. I’d love to hear a discussion on one or two of those. Who was Tegid the Prince and where is his village now, for instance. Why is Pennant Melangell an enduring pilgrimage. Two of my personal favourites, there are many more. Is that doable and interesting enough?

Eek - great call - we’d probably need to borrow a copy of the book first, though! I’ll bounce that off the boss…:wink:

Meanwhile, shock horror, even while we’re away, a new Growth Club, 042, is up and waiting for you all… :scream:

3 Likes

I will have finished mine soon, but it’s a Kindle version…

1 Like

This is the title? If yes I presume it’s in English, yes? And Kindle? Maybe in pair with Audibl sinchro naration? (this is new feature with Audibl by the way but not available to many titlles yet, though). Might buy it. This should really be awesome! Diolch.

EDIT

This one?

Welsh Legends and Myths

1 Like

“Welsh Legends and Myths. 80 Myths and Legends from across Wales” is the full title.
It has a lovely conversation style to it. A little research from Wikipedia suggests that some of the content has been lifted from there…or maybe the Wiki was transcribed from this book… It was on offer a little while ago and I’m embarrassed to say how much it was then. I’ve only ever seen it in Kindle - it was on the newsletter.

@Aran to present a story in the style of an interview would be interesting. Yn fy marn i.

1 Like

Thx. I’ve found it in the mean time and it’s in paperpack for $12.22 and Kindle for $3.65 on Amazon.com. I believe I’ll buy kindle edition and since I’m mostly buying via Amazon.com Smile I’ll do noble thing with purchasing too as Smile enables us to contribute to Doctors Without Borders with purchasing through it (no additional cost though). Oh, and I simply am buying through .com rather then ,co.uk because (how strange) I am not allowed to buy Kindle editions from the UK store: :slight_smile:

You have also “Look inside” enabled to have a quick reading of some stories and just reading some little portions of the book was enough for me to put it on the list.

Thank you in deed. I think I might link your post to Reading thread (or did you mention it htere already a while ago?) :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s not quite a “Global Village” yet :wink:, so there are regional “restrictions” which extend into the digital domain. I haven’t posted in the reading thread because it is a recent purchase and I haven’t finished it yet.
Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

2 Likes

Re GC 41 & 42, I’m beginning to wish I’d never suggested this now. My mother would be saying darkly, ‘It’ll end in tears…’.

One query - why is it that, as the temperature rises, more English words pepper the dialogue?

Holidays maybe … :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Edited out…:wink:

Wasn’t particularly conscious of the English, but that may be normal speech patterns interrupting ‘keep it pure for the learners’ thoughts…:wink:

It’s MOVING DAY!

But wait… what’s this?

Yes, Growth Club 43 is up and waiting for you… Even. Though. It’s. MOVING DAY!!

:slight_smile: :heart:

4 Likes

Oh wow! Diolch yn fawr iawn!
Good luck! I hope it all goes smoothly for you :sunny:

1 Like

I hope you managed the move successfully as well as (while?) doing this?

And to celebrate, please treat the kids (on me) at the home of my heart in Caernarfon which inspired me to start learning Welsh - the ice cream shop over the road from the castle…

2 Likes

Almost finished with move - but no internet connection until next week! Arghghghghgh…

1 Like

Very sorry indeed not to have got something up last week - but as of this afternoon, we have an internet connection and a corner for the microphone set up again, so we’ll be back and rolling this week (with an itchy feeling that we probably owe you two if we can manage!)… :heart:

5 Likes

Best do three just in case. :joy:

3 Likes

I’m sorry, but not surprised, to hear that Catrin has been exhausted since the move. Moving house is really stressful! What’s the matter with you, Aran, that you’re still standing??

So no pressure to get more recordings - we have plenty of them to listen to again, and I’m cheered that I get a bit more of the gist each time. (Angladd may need revisiting in a year or two.)

I just wanted to say that I wasn’t trying to avoid hearing about Pysen Saethwr (Japanese Knotweed). I’m fascinated by the ethics concerning enemy aliens, and our right/responsibility to exterminate them. Where I used to live, there were cute red squirrels, and men in camouflage gear shooting and trapping all the pesky greys they could see. And here, the verges are frothing with Jac y Neidiwr (Himalayan Balsam), which is beautiful, and presumably gradually suffocating all the native hedgerow plants.

But I’m having the odd sleepless night wondering if the pysen saethwr is creeping under your floorboards, so please keep it on the list of future topics!

1 Like

Ww, interesting - Canclwm Siapan is what we’ve heard/been using (with additional sweary bits).

Thank you so much, Bronwen - that’s a really lovely post, and means a huge amount.

I have plans to grab Angharad one day after school this week - I would have gone for today, but we have visitors who are more exciting than I am (because they give her presents)…:wink:

Just to say that we have actually managed to record a chat today - but it’ll be tomorrow before I get a chance to transcribe it. And from then on, hopefully, we’ll be closer and closer to some kind of normality here…:wink:

2 Likes

Ahem!

Just got that transcription done, and it’s now up and waiting for you - and I’ve got a guilt overload, and will be doing at least one more recording this week, possibly even two…:wink:

1 Like