The three, five sentence mini stories Level 1 week 12

P’hawn da pawb,

In Level 1 week 12 onwards, we are asked to make 3 mini stories of just 5 sentences each. Easy, I thought!
But, then we have to memorise them too. I have repeated my mini stories morning and evening as instructed, and more. However, I don’t seem to be able to memorise them very well. I don’t know if perhaps some of my sentences might be too long, (I usually have trouble with longer sentences) Or, is it because I am getting on in years and my memory/ retention skills are not so good these days?
Do younger people have this problem too?

I seem to remember reading something about a ‘working memory test’ which I think was on SSIW somewhere with a link. Should I try and find this test and if so, why? Would it help? Or, should I just press on and not worry about being able to memorise my three mini stories? I probably remember about 60% of them.

Sorry it’s long but I have great faith in the forum to help me out. :wink:

2 Likes

I never achieved this task either. I am in experiment mode to find a solution that suits me… I’m very glad this topic has been posted.

P.S. In the end I pressed on, but I am sure I am somehow still missing out.

Don’t worry about this - the effort is the important thing - if you want to improve the level of memorisation, just come back to them and give them another go every two or three weeks… :slight_smile:

1 Like

OK thanks Aran. Thought you might sat that!

1 Like

Thanks Lorna, if your experiment works, please tell me what you did! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I have trouble memorizing them too, even though i am repeating them more than twice a day. I put it down to making the sentences a bit long in the first place too, and not my advancing years,:roll_eyes: :wink: so I shortened them for the third lot and it helped at bit.
I have so many Welsh words spinning round in my brain all the time that I just trust they will all stick in there sooner or later. :grinning:

3 Likes

Thanks for your reply bizzylizzie. Yesterday I decided to write in my dairy. “Re-visit the 3 mini stories.” I have put the note down every 2 weeks for the rest of the year. I will get there in the end.
I know what you mean about Welsh words buzzing around in your brain. Mine is the same. I often find I have to think about spelling when writing in English now. I can often be found writing Welsh words instead of English too. The result is usually incomprehensible! :joy: But, hey ho, it’s great fun!
The other thing that happened to me is that, every morning I wake up and the first thing that pops into my head is learning Welsh. Before I had to keep reminding myself. I just wish the transfer from my brain to my speaking Welsh was better! :joy:

2 Likes

I couldn’t agree more. :joy:

When I did the mini stories, I practiced them every day on my daily walk to work. After a couple of weeks or so I was more or less fluent. I didn’t try to remember them exactly word for word as I had recorded them. For example (in English) I wouldn’t have bothered distinguishing between “Afterwards, I started to learn Welsh” or “I then started to learn Welsh” or “I started to learn Welsh afterwards”.
Pob lwc!

2 Likes

Thanks very much for the tip Baruch. It seems you were able to fit them into your normal routine. I must confess as I am retired a lot of routine things just don’t apply anymore. I do the work but as or when I feel like it! I am inconsistent with many things.
I probably need to create a timetable and stick to it.
Thank you for sharing

2 Likes

Yes! This kind of effort is hugely, hugely valuable in building habits - and once you turn something into a habit, you’re nailed on to win with it… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Aran

1 Like