Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Right…testing “Mae hi’n mwy cynnes heddiw, mae hi’n 15°C. Ddoe, 14°C!” Oh! Mae e’n gweithio!" That was Alt0176!! I will see if I can find a list of these, as I wanted to do Milltir(squared) and didn’t know how to do a little ‘2’ like the °!!! Any ideas anyone?
I get tangled between Microsoft word and Unicode…what is Unicode? It didn’t seem to work, but I don’t think I’m in Word on here? Am I?
p.s. the ‘holding down 0’ worked on my iPad!! Oh, and back when, scientists tended to prefer Apple, not least because Microsoft involved a lot less genuine innovation - or was said/thought to! I found Apple much harder to program because it was written to be!!

1 Like

Ah, I see thanks. Yeah I’m familiar with QWERTZ as it’s used in Germany and Switzerland and some other places - I was just wondering whether you actually had the letters K, E, Y, U in a row somewhere which would’ve been weird and interesting :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, it would be weird and unique. I believe KEYU is made from Keyboard Yugoslav and that’s why the “word” is not used anymore. Yugoslavia nowdays (Serbia actually) has different script so the expression would be totally out of date of course. :slight_smile:

Guess what, I Googled again on this laptop and found another hint site.
Milltir² and Alt0178 works!! m² m³. I’ll have to check again for higher powers!!

1 Like

Has anyone already mentioned Alt 0226 - â also 0234 ê

I can’t remember how to assign these to actual keys on the keyboard, so you don’t have to remember the numbers, but you can do that or you used to be able to program some of the keys to be whatever you wanted them to be.

I suspect these tips have all been done before, but just in case here is a link to lots of useful Welsh and Cornish codes and tips for doing things in lots of different ways - includes Middle Welsh characters as well!

Edit:

Also go to http://www.interceptorsolutions.com/user-guide and download a free Tô bach utility or create your own:

Step 1: Download Autohotkey from https://autohotkey.com/ and run the exe file: (Note: looks fine to me, but at your own risk).
Step 2: Right Click on desktop: then scroll to New: then scroll to Autohotkeyscript
Step 3: An icon will appear on the desktop. Change the file name to whatever you prefer.
Step 4: Right click on the icon and then click edit.
Step 5: Notepad should open. Delete the text in the note pad file.
Step 6: paste this string into the notepad file:

!+a::
Send, â
Return

!+e::
Send, ê
Return

!+i::
Send, î
Return

!+o::
Send, ô
Return

!+u::
Send, û
Return

!+w::
Send, ŵ
Return

!+y::
Send, ŷ
Return

Step 7: save the file
Step 8: click on it and it will now be active.

shift + alt + vowel gives the following:

â ê î ô û ŵ ŷ

I’ve added this post into @seren’s Useful list. in case it gets lost in replies in this topic.

Thank you for posting the link.

Tatjana,

Thanks - I have also just managed to program my keyboard to put the tot bach (circumflex) on top of a e i o and u when I use shift+alt+a, etc. (added to previous post)

Might be useful. I suggest you edit your previous post rather then make a new one so I won’t need to link one more post there in the list.

Diolch.

Thanks Tatjana - done and now have w and y as well

1 Like

I still cannot find anyway of typing powers of 10 other than 2 and 3!! OK, I’ve retired and when I was a chemist, 6.022 x 10 - oh no! What worked yesterday no longer does!! I tried 10 to the 23rd and kept leaping out of SSiW into my home page!! I give up!!!

If you did upper action @Toffidil described, you’ve reprogrammed the keyboard so it works at ones desire when using SHIFT+ALT+vowel (or W or Y).

If this is not what you’ve done then I’m afraid I don’t quite understand the problem you have right now.

Neither do I because I didn’t reprogram, as I thought typing…ahah… foumd the answer, started to type Alt0176 and nothing happened when I hit 0. Tried NumLk first and that worked, so 10²³!!! Geronimo!! I can now type Avogadro’s number should I ever need to again! (Unlikely!) 6.022 x10²³!!! Bliss! Joy!! Don’t know how the number lock went wrong but that’s life!!

1 Like

Problem solved then …

Yah, it happens to me too - number lock and Caps lock are my weaknesses many times. :slight_smile:

Avogradro has migrated to John’s Outside thread, but here seems a better place to ask you, @aran if your study of how memory works can work out why after at least 40+ years since I actually practised chemistry, I should see milltir² m³ and think, “Well at least I can type 10²³.”, and then, “er… Oh, Avogardro’s number!” I had to Google it to make sure, but I knew it was 6,0something and thought 2, so not bad after about 42 years. But how come? Memory is weird! I forget things I have been using much more recently than that!! In early 1972 I went back to London specifically to look after Health Physics and never opened a chemistry book again!

1 Like

Nope, 'fraid not… :slight_smile:

So, I have a probably strange one, and I’m sorry if this is a repeat question, but what would the words for poop and pee be? It seems like a weird thing to need to talk about, but I have a dog and these things tend to come up eventually.

1 Like

In a household here with two dogs and two kids, at the moment it just tends to be ‘pŵ’ and ‘pi’ (or pi-pi) - you’ll also hear ‘baw ci’ specifically for dog poo - and ‘piso’ in general (not very polite) terms, like ‘piso dryw yn y môr’…

1 Like

Oo, interesting! Round here it seems to be the general word to such an extent that there is no other version needed, as it were. Just a neutral word for it, used in any circumstances with anyone (where you would talk about such a thing!)

(As a (possibly) amusing illustration, I remember my father telling me that when he was a young child, a nurse was telling him to give a urine sample. In English she said - “you just need to… erm… wel, pisio yn y botel…”

2 Likes

That’s probably mostly what I was getting at - you wouldn’t be very likely to hear ‘piso dryw yn y môr’ in church, for example… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah, thanks for the insight. @owainlurch, too. I realise I talk to the dog a lot when I’m walking with him, so I might as well talk to him in Welsh hah.

An unrelated question, too: a friend of mine is trying to name something hes making “Under land” but in Welsh. When he puts it in Google translate, it says “O Dan dir”, and when he types “under land” it just says “Dan dir”. Is the O used for proper nouns or is Google just being weird?