Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

What verbs do you use to explain how something works or how to use something?

I’ve tried to use an online vocabulary but I’m a bit lost when I get the results. :astonished:

Also, exactly like in these questions of mine, how do you translate a “generic” you (meaning not the person you’re talking to, but someone/one/whoever)

1 Like

Use: defnyddio. How to do it - shwd/sut i neud e/o. How to use it shwd i defnyddio fe.

Im not sure but I think its dyn for one. Like man in German. Or in the street you might just use “you” ti. As in English. You are probably aware that in English the use of the word “one” is slightly formal. So Im guessing that it will be the same in Welsh.

Edit- or rhwyun for someone.

2 Likes

Apart from misspelling ennill I also missed out a very important i - it should have been wnetho i.

This is from the script and the script is written to indicate the actual way they’d like the words said, more than any grammatically accurate sort of thing.

There are lots of things in the script which on their own would be confusing, such as 'tho equating to wrtho.

It feels to me like a colloquial version of wnes i, but could be wnaethon ni, but the I version fits better to me and wondered if people say wnetho i.

Edit: Just read the English script version and it says “I didn’t just gain a daughter in law, you and I gained a business partner”

1 Like

Diddorol iawn!! How did you get the script? That would be interesting to see.

I’ve not heard it (but that’s not a benchmark of much). Be interested to hear from others.

Hi Anthony.
I think therr are copies of the English and Welsh on onother topic here on this forum.

Edit,
Thats a point. I just cheated and looked at the English version.
We didnt just gain a daughter in law. You and I gained a business partner.

Rats too late :persevere:

1 Like
3 Likes

Searching for “wnetho i” got me a document on dialect forms which included this:

“etho i”, “detho i”, “wnetho i” = “es i” ‘I went’, “des i” ‘I came’, “wnes i” ‘I did’ (South-East)

So basically you’re absolutely right :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That sounds like a good link to have - can’t believe I haven’t encountered these before.

Another one in the script that’s got me wondering about is “symo i”. The context seems to suggest “somehow I”?

“symo i’n mynd i gyrraedd Oed yr Addewid”

somehow I’m going to reach retirement age?

Could it be similar to sa i’n? I’m not going to reach retirement age…maybe?

1 Like

Yes - it’s smo i (or smo fi) = sa i

Smo i’n mynd i gyrraedd… I’m not going to reach…

3 Likes

symo - squashed version of symio meaning (in this context) to reckon - so the translation is “reckon I’m going to reach the alloted span” i.e. the full lifetime (oed yr addewid = promised age/alloted span)?

2 Likes

Oh! I hadn’t considered symio! :open_mouth:

Does that fit the context better, then?

1 Like

I don’t know - I don’t know the context, it just seemed like a viable option! :smile:

RIght - perhaps we need the context.

Otherwise this could be Siaron 1-0 Gareth !

And I will have to have you killed. Obviously.

4 Likes

(Painlessly. I’m not a monster…)

1 Like

@Toffidil seems to think the context suggests a positive statement, so maybe I should move, change my name, and buy a blonde wig. :scream:

Oh wait, I already own a blonde wig. I knew it would come in handy some time. :joy:

:wink:

3 Likes

Looks like it could be either:
a dros ‘y nghrogi, symo i’n mynd i gyrraedd Oed yr Addewid gyda’n handicap i mewn double figures

I’m wondering if it could be: a dros ‘y nghrogi smo: " Ill be hanged, if (that) I reach…"
or
symio: …I reckon that
or
Symo:… I dont
ill be hanged if I dont get to retirement …

Anyway, I’ll be watching this space, :slight_smile:

??

1 Like

Context looks clearly positive, although I’m hazy on some of the details, so I’d start making plans if I were you:

A wy’n gwbod yn iawn, ar ôl cyfnod gatre’n magu’r crwt bach hwn, y byddi di’n nôl unryw ddydd nawr - a dros ‘y nghrogi, symo i’n mynd i gyrraedd Oed yr Addewid gyda’n handicap i mewn double figures; felly rwy’ wedi penderfynu rhoi’r twls ar y bar.

Hmm. Looks plausible… I’m going to cheat and have a look at the same passage in the English language script now…

Spoiler

Ooh, close! “and I’m damned if I’m going to turn sixty with my handicap still in double figures.”

Looks like Siaron 0, Gareth 0, John 1 to me! :smile:

1 Like