Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Yes, I guess that he is trying to convince himself that he’s not envious or bothered about being left behind by others or developments? Now, I’m not sure about smelo, I suppose it must be hear, rather than smell.

After seeing how many loan words there were, I thought it was going to be easy. But it didn’t quite turn out that way :frowning:

1 Like

smell as in guess - maybe you can’t smell who it is without me saying - “Mr Hoolby”.

??? - well thats my guess anyway

edit Mr Hoolby is Mr Who will be. This ones quite interesting - the meaning becomes clearer after reading several times - its a bit cryptic/riddly having a bit of a jibe at the “who will bes” - social climbers?? - the ones who regard people like him as old fashioned in their ways and poor. It says bachan ifanc, but I guess that’s just part of the jibe as well and probably doesn’t mean a little boy actually wrote this.

1 Like

My previous question was about someone answering that the car was ready. Well, of course, a guy had to take it to the garage first, and the reason was:
am fan drwsiad officially translated as “for a minor repair”.

However, if I try to understand what is what in the sentence, the dictionary tells me:
drwsiad - or better, trwsiad - is “repair” (actually also dress, garment, clothes, attire, robe, habit, covering, ornament; aspect, appearance, condition; preparation, a setting in order; fertilizer, manure - but I will pretend to ignore all that stuff not to make things even more complicated!)

So first question would be: why noun after adjective?
But let’s find what fan means, first.

On Modern Welsh Dictionary they all seem related to here and there - that’s actually in line with another sentence, elsewhere (Rwy’n hapus fan yma), but don’t seem related to this one.
Trinity Saint David not very cooperative as usual (no results).
GPC has a crazy list, including 2 fan, 6 ban, 5 man+men+myn, 2 pan - but before trying to read them all I decided to ask here! :grin:

Does anybody here have any idea?

p.s. Google would translate it as: “for a wait fan:rofl:
And if I add the full sentence to provide context, it becomes “for a straight place:neutral_face:

This one is pretty much designed to trip you up - man, as a noun, is a place or spot - ‘y fan’ - often shortened as a suffix to ‘fa’, so that’s swyddfa, meddygfa, etc.

But mân, as an adjective, it’s kind of small/brief/little - so ‘glaw mân’ isn’t a very serious downpour, etc. So that’s your ‘am fân drwsiad’… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So does this mân, as an adjective, usually come in front of the noun like this? I would have expected “am drwsiad mân”.

I’m stealing @garethrking’s answer from another thread ( Position of the adjective mân) here -

" Generally when mân precedes the noun it has the meaning of ‘slight’ or ‘insignificant’, while its more concrete meaning of just ‘small’ generally follows. So if you can replace ‘small’ with ‘slight’, then mân in front. That’s my impression with this word.
So:
mân wahaniaethau small (= slight) differences
but not
*mân adar small birds , because they are not ‘slight’ birds, are they?
Similarly (for example) arian mân small change , but mân donnau small waves (because they are slight on the surface). "

5 Likes

Diolch, Siaron. I’ll try to remember that! Mân isn’t actually a word I’ve come across before, but I’m sure I’ll see it a lot from now on.

1 Like

This is interesting to me because the band Anweledig has a line from their song, Chwarae dy Gêm

Mae’r adar mân yn decharu canu

Which is, ‘The small bird starts singing.’ I did not know if ‘mân’ came before the noun it meant slight. Diolch Sharon am rhannu hwn. Thanks Sharon for sharing this.

1 Like

Thanks, this perfectly answers my other question (about fan). :slight_smile:

At the same time, it also confirms that one of the most complicated things about Welsh - at least for me - is how to identify mutations.

I see fan, how can I understand that I should look for man instead? :sob:

p.s. right, thanks @garethrking too!

1 Like

nah, don’t thank me - I just happened to remember seeing Gareth’s excellent explanation :wink:

1 Like

I have a question to ask. I read this sentence earlier on the forum,

Braf iawn dy weld di ar y fforwm.

I read this as, ‘Very good (cool) to see you on the forum.’ What confuses me is …dy weld di… My education thus far indicates this is a form of possession, i.e. your seeing.

If I wanted to say ‘Very good to see you on the forum,’ I would say, ‘Braf iawn i ti gweld ar y fforwm.’ What am I not understanding?

Ah, well, then I thank your memory of Gareth’s excellent description. :smiley:

t is the preposition “am”, that causes soft mutation here. Some other prepositions like “i” or “o” or “ar” work in the same way. It’s no problem if you miss the mutations when you speak of course.

2 Likes

I understand your frustration and ask myself this same thing weekly. Because of all the mutation issues I’ve had, if the sentence doesn’t make sense immediately, I look for mutations and that usually helps. If I still can’t translate the sentence, I’ll put it down and come back to it awhile later.

1 Like

That the object of a VN is expressed as the possessive adjective - I mean, you’re right in spotting that dy weld ti means your seeing, so you just have to make a little leap from there to remember that when the verb in question is in the VN form, then object pronoun (not nouns, though) appears as the possessive.

So:

Fedrech chi helpu Siaron? - Could you help Siaron?

but

Fedrech chi ei helpu hi? - Could you help her?

3 Likes

Is it ever the case that people drop the possessive part in sentences like your second example? Do you hear, for example, “Fedrech chi helpu hi?” or would that just sound totally wrong?

Oh thanks, this is already quite a long list that I can easily remember! :slight_smile:

Yeah I don’t worry much about speaking, and actually those are slowly starting to appear automatically in my head in the right form…but I hadn’t realized what they have in common - so this can help for translation a lot!

Diolch, Gareth for another excellent explanation. I’ll need to let it percolate in my head for awhile to fully appreciate it and put it into practice.

2 Likes

Yes you do, and it’s fine.

1 Like

Percolating is always to be commended.

4 Likes