Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

If you talk about technical part, the switch is here:

Hope this helps.

1 Like

I actually finally found the switch I wanted. I hadn’t scrolled down far enough!! Prize for biggest idiot goes to aged dragon!! :wink:
Thanks for quick reply, by the way!!

1 Like

Can I try the new format, or is it only available to mods? If available how do I switch?

Good afternoon, I was just wondering, where could I find those free listening exercises, for the beginers Aran was mentioning. Or did I misunderstood something? Maybe I am not accurate enough to find it…

Helo!
If you’re talking about the weekly practices, they’re here https://www.saysomethingin.com/welsh/weekly

You might go here and drop Kinetic a note that you wish to have a switch to new layout there. I hope he’d do that for you.

Yes, I guess that’s what I meant. Thank you!

@tatjana When I log out now, I go to the old format Learn page with the lists of Lessons! Is this usual?

Yes. When you log out you don’t get new leyout anymore because it’s not available for every user yet. Those who applied have got it, the others have old format because the new one is still in kind of BETA testing (at least according to what I know).

1 Like

I feel I should be getting some sort of feel for when ‘i mi’ or ‘i fi’ is used. Sure, I can not worry about it, but what is the difference, what is the pattern?

1 Like

I always thought i mi was gog and i fi was de. I am probably quite wrong!!

There isn’t a difference - it’s personal taste… :sunny:

1 Like

Aha, my pattern recognition systems are not at fault So I can use mi or fi, depending on which I prefer in the sentence, I seem to be using both anyway, Great. Another long standing question done and dusted!

2 Likes

@aran I am really finding it hard going in Challenge 1.15!! Does it get easier for aged brains?

If it gets easier, it’ll be because we’re not stretching you enough - building new synapses is hard work… :sunny:

But everyone has ups and downs - some days you have less energy, and it all seems tougher - other days it doesn’t.

Keep on going, and you’ll keep on getting better at speaking Welsh… :sunny:

1 Like

@aran & anyone else who can help - Is there a way to work out whether a word is masculine or feminine? Are there any general rules, guidelines or ways of telling? For example, id never have guessed in a million years that make up and perfume were masculine!?! Mezx

2 Likes

This may help a bit (Gareth King “Modern Welsh: A Comprehensive Welsh Grammar”):

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=0DY-CgAAQBAJ&pg=PA42&lpg=PA42&dq=gareth+king+gender+of+nouns&source=bl&ots=djeXQTzJ47&sig=DH5u_q7CVJ_dnnSctFrB5uLeSiA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjBgIKqqunLAhUEPxQKHXjkA5IQ6AEIJTAB#v=onepage&q=gareth%20king%20gender%20of%20nouns&f=false

(If that link doesn’t work for you, try normal google search for
“gareth king gender of nouns” )

1 Like

Mike’s given you a handy reference there - my personal response would be along the lines of ‘Nope, although people try to dig out a few guidelines - it’s all pretty hit and miss, and you’re best off not worrying about it at all - you’ll never be misunderstood because you used ‘hi’ instead of ‘fo’…’… :sunny:

1 Like

Thanks @mikeellwood & @aran. The only reply I’ve received from first language welsh speakers on this topic is they don’t know how they know, they just know. Upon asking what a learners supposed to do, I was met with shrugs. Ha ha - On the plus side, I’ve only got a 50% chance of getting it wrong! Mezx

1 Like

I’m never happier than when I hear one of our learners saying that they didn’t know why they got something right, it just sounded as though it should be like that… which is what happens when you let go of the need to ‘understand’ the language and just give yourself enough input/output exposure… :sunny:

2 Likes