Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

You should learn these particular phrases separately, I would say, because really they are idioms. Hyn does indeed mean this, though, just like hynny means that.

2 Likes

It’s “pleidiol wyf”. :smile:
And no, there aren’t two versions. :wink:

The version you remember is the correct and only one. The others look to be just straightforward errors.

Unfortunately, viruses on the web don’t just live in computers- they can exist as ideas. One incorrect fact, one incorrect version of something can be mindlessly copied by people who know nothing or little on the subject and don’t bother to check, and then go on to infect site after site until it can snowball to having quite presence on the Internet. Whether that has happened in this case, I don’t know, I haven’t checked.

Also there is the fact that the Internet is so large nowadays that more or less any incorrect version of something will have a presence there!

But no, your memory is by the looks of it correct. :wink:

2 Likes

Heh! Can you remember what the programme was?

Ta muchly. Here’s the original original words, for completeness’ sake-

If it was a native Welsh speaker singing it, I’d just roll with it. Especially if it was just “'rwyf” instead of “wyf”. ( rather than the other words you mentioned). Alternative way of saying the same thing, as it were, not the commonest words, but it’s her anthem as much as anyone’s, as it were.
But no, the original, commonly used words are the ones you remember.

There is, of course, no “official” version!

Did anyone else hear, on “Rownd a Rownd” yesterday, the chap who bought the garage for his son say to a just dead phone, “Pen bach!”. It was clearly meant as an insult. I know it means ‘small or little head’. Is it a common way of referring to one of little brain, idiot etc.? I haven’t heard it before and I can’t help feeling it’s an unfortunate turn of phrase given the zika virus and its terrible effects on unborn babies. @aran?

I haven’t caught up with yesterday’s edition yet, but it’s a new one on me anyway.

A word I keep hearing on RaR is “tad” thrown into a conversation, and in a context where it can’t mean “Dad” (not literally, anyway). It seems to be used as a kind of re-inforcing word in a positive statement I think (and probably a Gog thing). I will try to listen out for some examples.

Yep, “ga i rhywbeth?”“cewch, tad.” A kind of “sure” type thing. Purely slang of course.

Diolch Gruntius. After I’d posted that, I remembered that once when I’d heard it, is was simply “yndy tad”, in response to a question.

1 Like

I’ve been wondering about this, too!

Diolch! Another mystery solved :slight_smile:

Mae gen i gwestiwn cyflym, dw i’n gobeithio! Don i ddim yn gwybod sut i ddweud neu disgrifio ‘peering’ (termau cyfrifiadura) yn yr Gymraeg. Mae ‘cysylltiad rhwydwaith’ rhwng dau rhwydwaithiau BGP.

Mae’n ddrwg gen i… this might be a pretty difficult one to answer. I really don’t know whether Welsh has an equivalent of peering in this sense. It’s a term used with BGP networking where two networks on the Internet, which elect to connect or ‘peer’ with each other to share traffic.

I found the following for “peer-to-peer network”: “rhwydwaith cymar-i-gymar” - “partner-to-partner network” here: https://cy.glosbe.com/en/cy/peer-to-peer%20network - so the verb would be “cymharu” - “to pair”.

I’m told that “cymar” can indicate a more intimate relationship than just “partner”, though.

But it also lists “cydradd” - “equal” for peer, that would work, too.

Now, what is Welsh for Border Gateway Protocol :slight_smile:

3 Likes

http://www.geiriadur.net actually gives “peer” as one of the meanings of “cymhar”, but it qualifies it with “(agriculture)”. I have no idea what a peer would mean in an agricultural context though.

my guess is that it is cymharu in its more intimate sense of mating?

1 Like

I have now watched that episode, and indeed John says that, at about 6 minutes in. The English subtitle translates it as “idiot!”.

I thought at first that Wyn had also said it, later in the programme, but when I looked at the subtitles (at just after 14 minutes in) what he actually says is:

“…jyst dysgu gwers i’r pen bach”.

The English subtitle has it as “just teach that young upstart a lesson”. He is obviously referring to David, but I don’t think he or anyone would think David is an idiot, so although it’s not very polite, I don’t think he’s using it in quite the same sense as John used it.

Edit: Another word I heard used in a recent episode was “bwbach”, which apparently means “scarecrow, ghost, phantom”. I can’t remember who used it to or about whom though.

Is anyone is seeing Al Lewis in Caerdydd Friday night?If so come and say hello! I should be there

Well, in Bob the Builder (which betrays my level of Welsh understanding!) a scarecrow is ‘bwgan brain’.

1 Like

:slight_smile: Gweiadur gives several alternatives, and “bwgan” was one of them I think. :slight_smile:

What, fluent? :blush:
If you can understand programmes for first language Welsh children, you are well on the way to understanding most of anything…

1 Like

Yes, or bwgan brain when specifying crows, but ‘bwbach’ I have never met. I suppose it could be a contraction of ‘bwgan bach’, scarer of little (ones) but I don’t like that, as bwgan plant would be more likely!!
Glad I wasn’t hearing things with ‘pen bach’, I find it hard to see how it could mean ‘upstart’. Wouldn’t that be pen mawr?
Edit: @mikeellwood
I looked pen bach up in the Geiriadur on my ipad and one of them (GPC) actually had it meaning big head or conceited person! Strange, English uses ‘big’ to describe the result and Cymraeg uses ‘bach’ to describe the cause!!
I got to thinking, in normal conversation, would I or anyone in English, say, ‘upstart’? “Jumped up Twit!” is more likely, I suspect!!

1 Like

Sorry to be a pain, but last night on Rownd a Rownd one of the girls said, “Nawr” meaning ‘now’. It wasn’t Jac who comes from the south. I think it was the lass in the shop (Philip’s wife?). I thought all in gogledd Cymru said “Rwan” for ‘now’. Any comments? I thought ‘nawr’ was one of my southernisms!!