Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Well, happy it helped! I’ve never used the ipad for this so I hadn’t a clue if it even showed the numbers!!
Now, can anyone, like maybe @Iestyn or @aran tell me about genders and concepts? Well the weather isn’t exactly a concept but it isn’t solid, exactly, and I was raised to say ‘hi’, so still do, but I am a bit slapdash about whether I use ‘hi’ or ‘e’ or ‘fe’. I am going to say it in Welsh - Dw’i 'n mynd i ddweud e yn Gymraeg??? :blush:
Are there rules abou whether disembodied things like emotions or unspecified things like words, sentences etc are male or female?

HAHA! Legend @Isata! This made my day!

I’m actually not exhausted anymore, but my soul just doesn’t want to quite come back. It’s hard to work anything at all and I nowdays usually just run through the forum and quickglance on the topics which might have questions I could help with … This slipped through obviously. :slight_smile:

I’m not iPad or any iDevice user though but maybe this can help anyway. Do you see little tinny stripe besides the number of post/posts? Touch it and pull it in direction you want. If you want to go to the end of the topic you pull it down if you want to go to the beginning, pull it up. This feature is a bit different from the old leyout of the forum page and because of these mini differences I should get myself to revise and edit my help posts so they’d suit to latest version of software forum is using. I’ll eventually do that wnen my soul returns home (:slight_smile: )

What concerns weather @henddraig my “Welsh On The Wall” says this:

3 Likes

Yup…:slight_smile:

Hoffwn i fod, if you want to be ultra-picky…:slight_smile:

In other news, diolch o galon for that particularly lovely bottle of wine, which we enjoyed enormously (Catrin is of the opinion that I enjoyed it too much, apparently, but there we are…:wink: ) :star: :star2:

3 Likes

Yup - don’t worry about them :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, bless you @tatjana! I had found a workaround, but that is so breathtakingly simple (and obvious) that I feel like a bit of an idiot now. Thank you (genuinely!) I’ll also have a look for your help posts, as you’ve probably answered any question I can come up with at some time or other - I did have a quick look for a post on this issue using the search but didn’t find it. Now I know to search for your name alongside any query I have!

Glad you’re home safely, but I hope your soul returns soon. If I find it I’ll bring it back to Slovenia when I pass through next month. (Though maybe leaving a small part of your soul in Wales isn’t such a bad thing, it means you’ll return one day!)

2 Likes

Tiny bit can stay there … I tend to return one day with my two best men (or at least one of them - my husband) to show them at least a part of Mae hen gwlad … :slight_smile:

I just hope you’ll have better fortune with the weather. It’s raining like mad right now and they say it’ll be about 6 °C in the morning tomorrow. Whatever, I’ve put long tights and socks on. :slight_smile:

If you say it wasn’t the wine then it must have been some other drugs. Osian has been scarred. :joy:

1 Like

Thanks v much! That rounds it off nicely then, so I’ll be signing off for a few weeks.

(Glad you liked the wine! I think I forgot to mention that it came from my parents in laws’ next door neighbours’ vineyard - currently enjoying more of the same…)

Just want to say thank you!

I’m just starting out so confidence is pretty low!

I would very much like to know how to type that little ‘degree’ sign!! When you are not… no, I should say… if ever you are not busy!!!

It shouldn’t be! You’ve found the Forum which is always really helpful! Click on the magnifying glass to search for anything you want to ask about. If it’s technical then @tatjana can almost certainly help! She is absolutely lovely and likes helping people and lives in Slovenia!
She set up one topic/thread for the ‘how to’ type questions!
Oh dear, I have just found that choosing ‘Welsh’ as ‘Category’ takes the ‘Really useful’ thread off its ‘peg’ at the top! @tatjana Can you do anything about that??? Meet @rhianlisamariedavies to whom I am in the middle of replying!!
I will now depart! :blush:

1 Like

This may be a bit too vague or crazy for anyone to be able to answer, but I have to ask this one, because it’s bugging me. I was half listening to Radio Cymru this morning and I’m sure I heard pedoli a couple of times and there weren’t any articles on horses or farming etc - it wasn’t talking about the shows on at the minute. I can’t find the links in Cymru fyw to stories etc, but just wanted to ask, if Pedoli has any meanings that I can’t find in the dictionaries etc. I actually thought it meant to trot as in a horse cantering, but it apparently means to shoe a horse. I’m only posting this, because I like the word and have a nagging feeling there might be other uses for it or perhpas I’m hearing something else and confusing it with pedoli.

Usually it’s made with holding AltGR (right Alt key) and pressing key 5 (on the keyboard not number pad).

I should mention that goes with any letter anyway and it’s not needed to be capitalized so … even pressing AlltGR+5 and space will do the trick making only the little degree sign without anything else (like this °).

Unfortunately it does and even admins can do nothing abou that. We pinned that topic globally but it works (for who knows what reason) only in all categories layout. When you switch to Welsh it all disappears. The best thing is to bookmark the topic especially if you use it often and go to it through your bookmarks. Noa you can find your bookmarks if clicking on your profile icon/picture and then click on little “flag” (or whatever it is, I can’t see well though) which will carry you to your bookmarks where you can search for the topic (I presume you have not million topics bookmarked - hehe) :slight_smile:

So, no, I can’t help much though …

If you didn’t post your reply when leaving it can very well happen it will still be there opening for you when you come back to the topic you’ve replied in as unsent replies automatically save as kind of draft posts. I never really tried to totally leave the forum and come back later on but it happened that I’ve left the page entirely (not closing the browser but just cruising somewhere else though) and when I came back to the topic the saved draft was still there for me to finish or dismiss it. So, no catastrophe if you were in the middle of reply and you didn’t finish it though (at least I believe so).

1 Like

my keyboard hasn’t got a degree symbol on the 5 key, so I do the degree sign a bit differently. I hold down the “Alt” button and type 0176 on the numeric keypad.

Useful thing also. I’ve checked my tablet (external) keyboard since it’s QUERTY and not KEYU and found out it doesn’t contain any °sign also no matter what I try.

I googled this for the ipad and samsung and these were the tips people put out there. I don’t know if they work?

ipad

Tap the .?123 button to switch to the numeric
and special character keyboard layout. now press and hold the zero at the top right. A new
little mini-menu appears with the degree symbol. slide your finger up to it and let go.

Samsung

tap the “123 Sym” key to reveal the
symbols keyboard.
Then, tap the “1/2” key to reveal the second page of the symbols keyboard.

Just to confirm, this worked for me on my iPad. There are many other keys that give you more options if you hold them down.

This works on my PC. (I also don’t have the same type of keyboard as @tatjana. )

1 Like

Nobody has, except people who use Ex-Yugoslavia, Czech, Polish and Slovak language which consists č,ž,š,đ,ć letters. Russia and countries with Cyrilic script not included as they have different sort of writing.

Your keyboard is called QWERTY and ours is called KEYU (just for the knowledge).

I was aware that Qwerty keyboards might not contain the same set of characters and signs as KEYU but have posted anyway because some signs can be typed the same or similar way though.

In addition, American keyboards are generally different from European (and UK) keyboards. The most notable difference is that American ones don’t have the “AltGr” key, which is what makes a number of different markings - including things like the “to bach” above letters - possible on other keyboards. There are software packages that will make American keyboards behave like European ones, and there are also websites where you can get a list of the codes like the “Alt 0176” referenced above. (Sorry, I don’t have the link at the moment.) For the to bach (the “little roof” on some Welsh letters) the best thing I’ve found is “Typeit” - you type in the word or words that you want with special characters, then copy and paste them into whatever you’re writing. They also have the same sort of thing for a number of other languages that have special characters

Yes and this must be mostly because in America (well at least I had experience talking to many people from America) mostly MACs are used which behave a bit differently from PCs.

Unfortunately I’m not too familiar who’s from where on this forum so if my “instructions” doesn’t meet requirements of many I apologize in advance.

I also don’t use any iDevice so here I am not able to help much either … Windows and Android are still my “home”. :slight_smile:

I’m intrigued by this. What is the KEYU layout? I tried googling for it but found nothing. Also, I spent some time in Poland and the keyboards were as I recall QWERTY but with a bunch of keys that had ALT-modified versions for the extra letters.