Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Re: iPlayer: don’t forget that you can quite legally listen to Radio Cymru via iPlayer anywhere in the world (I think). (and other BBC radio stations, including a Scottish Gaelic language one: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radionangaidheal).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radiocymru

2 Likes

Regarding radio: if iPlayer doesn’t work there’s still TuneIn app - totally legal way to listen to all BBC and other radio stations. I was pleasantly surprised you can find Slovenian ones on there too. So, if you tend to listen to BBC Radio Cymru and occassionally hop into other countries to hear what they have in program, TuneIn app is maybe even better. You can literally find the whole world radios there. If I’m correct, TuneIn can be found in App Store too. :slight_smile:

Joyo. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

OK. Now it’s my term to put question here (haha):

What stands the word “gorwedd” for:

• for “lie” as not telling the truth or
  • for “lay” as in “to lay down”?

Google Translate gives it in both cases and Ap Geiriaduron puts it in as “lie” word. I strongly believe the words for these two totally different things yn Cymraeg are not the same. I might look into more word books but I believe it’s best to ask here though. Maybe this is a question of wider interest … :slight_smile:

[quote=“tatjana, post:1291, topic:3153”]
for “lay” as in “to lay down”?
[/quote] This one. :blush:

1 Like

Does that cover laying an egg as well??? Pretty please! :smile:

Dodwy is to lay an egg. I remember it as dod-wy. Hawddy pawddy. Welsh at its best. :blush:

3 Likes

But how can it be ‘legal’ for those of us overseas to watch Dechrau Canu Dechrau Canmol (for example) on s4c clic but ‘illegal’ to watch it on BBCiPlayer? Still I agree it is not for SSiW to advertise ways round the ‘law’.

1 Like

Because of the app legality and not the show at this point. For example: I can’t see in Play store neither BBC iPlayer nor S4C Clic because it’s not meant for our market at all so I can’t even install any of these apps. For less restricted areas you can have the app but you can’t watch everythig on it. A bit contraversal but that’s how it is …

Thank you @gruntius for the explanation.

Wonder if Dal Ati from this morning will be available from S4C international. I’ve never watched Dal Ati before, but how many SSIWers were on there - clearly Aran and a few others. I flicked in and out, but the standard of Welsh that some people manage to achieve is amazing - the title Dysgwyr just seems so inappropriate sometimes.

I believe it will be. The last available is from 7th August now though.

I think it is a repeat as it was dated 2014. S4C’s cash-strapped situation is leading to a lot of reuse of clips, if not whole programs! @aran am I right that you didn’t get interviewed by Nia in the last few days/weeks? I did think it was a good plug for SSiW, but if your figures are right, if everyone learning outside Wales signed the Petition, S4C might get enough funds to make more new material!

Yes it was repeats I think - I have never watched Dal Ati before - so didn’t realise.

No, it was ages ago, can’t remember when…

Yes we did talk about it Margaret. I can get s4c international. Sometimes it’s slow and not all programmes are available, for example Pobl y Cwm and Y Gwyl. But it’s definitely helpful.

OK a teensy weensy bit confused.

I am on Vocab 2. I cannot remember the exact sentence, but it’s something like: “The two girls want to speak to you” I thought this would be Mae dwy hogan isio siarad efo ti. However, the Welsh on the file sounds like “Mae dwy hogan isio siarad efo’ch di.”

Please explainify.

Thanks!

You must be in the northern course. chdi is a form of ti that is commonly used in the north. Somewhere in one of the lessons, Aran explains it, but it is easy to miss until you run into it unexpectedly!

1 Like

I don’t remember Aran explaining it as such. But ‘chdi’ is used a lot on course 1 & 2 and you do pick it up, I still use it (‘efo ti’ doesn’t sound right). I didn’t know for ages whether it was like the informal ‘ti’ or the formal ‘chi’. Actually initially I thought it was ‘efoch di’

1 Like

Made an awful attempt at speaking recently and now running through a few things that tripped me up. How would you say “I have not been speaking”. Would Sai wedi bod yn siarad be OK.

In my actual garbled conversation I thing I said in the heat of the moment dw i ddim yn siarad, but that wasn’t what I was actually meaning.

I typed out a reply but then realised that you must be learning hwntw. In the north course we would say “dwi ddim wedi bod yn siarad …” So if “Sai” is your “dwi ddim” then I would agree.

1 Like

Diolch i chi -, dw i ddim is probably the safer option with a group of learners like myself

1 Like