Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

i had heard that remnants of kymbric were preserved until relatively recently in the sheep counting numbers and perhaps some of the rural hill farmers still have a few gems buried in dialect??

Some of the hill farms round there have quite Welsh sounding names ‘Whytha’ for example, located near ‘Tory Log’ clough. Whytha reminds me of the name for Snowdon in Cymraeg ‘Wyddfa’. And what was broken (torri) at that clough?

Diolch yn fawr! And I get bees in my bonnet too…see another thread!!! :grinning: I gather Asperger published about his syndrome on 1944, so I was born, but I never heard about it until I was very definitely adult. However, I’ve had suspicions about me!!

1 Like

sounds like quite a convincing link to wyddfa doesn’t it. I can’t believe hill though is anything other than hill, you get signs in wales where road or way is put on the end of a welah road sign that already has heol or ffordd in it. the dle in pendle could have lots of possible welah cognates though, from del, dol dolau, dal etc etc, words you often zee associated with bryn in wales and maybe pen as well

I´m also of the ¨because it´s there¨ school. Isn´t it strange how English people in particular seem to lack much curiosity about other languages, especially the one just next door.

I tbink its teally important not to extrapolate too much from the views of a few extremists - I wisb these people would just find a different cause to fight and go and annoy somebody else for a change.

Hear hear!

Throughout my life, I have encountered very few Welsh people who were simply “against the language”.

Against various details of how money is spent on the language, that’s a different thing- but thankfully few just against the Welsh language.

Same with people from other countries.

There is a tendency for a certain amount of patronising attitude towards Wales and the Welsh to bleed down from the British establishment into a lot of British society and some British people- a tendency to tell Wales what it should be doing, to know what is best for it- but such annoying people are in the minority!

What Colindale says is very true, and applies to anyone dealing with any country on any subject.

Realising that when it comes to their country and way of life you have something to learn from them rather than the other way round seems to be a pill some people do not want to swallow.

1 Like

Absolutely. I mean if I felt like it I could hop in the car right now and be in Wales in an hour or a stronghold like Caernarfon in two. If I wanted to speak French it would be a tad more difficult.

OK, so out of laziness, I had this from Wiki.
It has Pen (Cymbric), “dle” from Hyll (Old English); Hill (Modern English) added at the end of the name, Pehhul for clarification. Anyway it’s a lovely place.

1 Like

i was sort of wondeding about dol until you found that link. dol is meadow, moor, valley, dale, pasture and pendolau exiats in family namea in Gwynned from before 13th centudy and pops up in road names etc. wizhfjl thinking though it seems

1 Like

You could have a point. I don’t see Wiki as the final arbiter.

My place of birth is near to Corbridge in Northumberland. The “Cor” part is the name of a stream, which predates the Roman fort of Corstopitum and the near-by settlement of Coria.

2 Likes

That sounds so much like a punning name from an Asterix book!

2 Likes

I wish I could have just put :heart: :heart: :heart: etc. etc.!!!
though really it’s

who deserves it!

2 Likes

finally cracked my hearing problem with pedoli - I kept hearing it, several times a week and it made absolutely no sense at all and then today I realised that it was “bodoli”. I can rest in peace now.

2 Likes

I know trying to translate English to Welsh is a bad idea, but here is one that popped into my head earlier and I’m curious. In an expresion like this how would you say “so much” or would you?.

I know so much now that… I wanted to do it so much that

I know cymaint is strictly speaking as much and so much, but in this context ???. Mor cymaint???

It’s really this type of English “so”, which equates to such a lot etc??? Any advice greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Yup, cymaint is your boy here… :slight_smile:

I think it’s best to go for cymaint - although I do know a first language speaker who seems to say ‘mor gymaint’ all the time. I don’t think it’s strictly correct or necessary though.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s pretty common - but not so much ‘not strictly correct’ as ‘strictly incorrect’ - the kind of thing that language police would turn their noses up at. Sorry, I mean up at which they would turn their noses…:wink:

6 Likes

yEs i was wondering about adding the mor for a bit more emphasis on the so, but thought that might be my english language brain taking over

1 Like

will have to Skype sometime again, i really enjoyed having a go, albeit my skupe abilities were badly exposed