Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Yes, I have just found it again in memrise, on the ‘All round confidence’ module. I must have seen it there and thought that was the accepted term. Just goes to show that things aren’t always that straightforward!

Usually plenty of different ways to say things - I’m certainly not saying it’s not an accepted term! Just one that I haven’t heard used in that particular context myself - I think it would strike me as more like ‘reserve’ - and I guess it’s pretty hard to draw a line in English between when you’d use ‘reserve’ and when you’d use ‘book’… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

In English, I tend to reserve a table and tell hotels, "You have a room for me!’ or ‘a room booked for me’!

I struggle enough with this in English. If my room as been booked in advance (“pre-booked” :frowning: ), I tend to say “Hi/Good evening, I am just checking in”. It’s a bit American for me but it saves on confusion. So how about something like: Gai i wirio i mewn?

Good creativity, but that’d get a blank look - ‘ga i checio i mewn?’ would probably do the trick, though…

2 Likes

Um…how are you pronouncing ‘ch’? It is very difficult to know how to spell borrowed words. Garej - the non-Welsh ‘j’ can be used without confusion, but the English ‘ch’ always throws me!

Recent loanwords will usually have the English pronunciation - particularly ‘ch’ at the beginning - can’t (off the top of my head) think of any exceptions to that… :slight_smile:

1 Like

It must be terribly confusing for children learning to read! My friend who saw ‘hen’ on a wall chart by a picture of iar was an object lesson in the troubles of children in the 1940s who spoke Welsh and were taught only in English, but teachers in Wales now, teaching yn Gymraeg, have to deal with all this stray, horrible English spelling! It would confuse me and I’m just a touch older than 5!!!

Maybe Welsh needs to import something exotic like a letter “X” to represent the English “CH”? But then that might be confusing, too? “Xecio i mewn”?

Or maybe a more conventional (but odd to the English eye) “Tsiecio i mewn”? Or even “Tshecio i mewn”?

Purists might baulk at the “sh” not being valid Welsh, but then there is the (South Walian) “Shwmae” which breaks that rule. At least Cymraeg orthography is only slightly irregular around the edges, unlike English which has so many spelling and pronunciation rules it makes the game of Cricket seem simple by comparison.

2 Likes

Like “cwtch” :wink:

1 Like

My dictionary has Tseina, Tsiecoslofacia (must be an old one).

“tsiecio” is the ‘conventional’ (ie Welsh spelling conventional) way of spelling it- as with all words with that sound in them. You’ll see them around :slight_smile:

As Louis points out, not only are they used but they are certainly in the dictionaries for the ‘purists’ - in fact “tsiecio” is in the GPC (Geiriadur Prifysgol Cymru, the ‘standard’ dictionary)

3 Likes

Or cwtsh or cwts.
“S” can technically/sort of be used to represent “sh” where needed, seeing as that is where it comes from in Welsh, as it were, but “sh” often borrowed, especially where “si” would be a bit odd.

I remember a few people in the local “Welsh Cafe/centre thingy” complaining that Swansea council had used “cwtch” in the Welsh in the posters rather than one of the others.

[IIRC, on my checking on it afterwards, it was more them using “cwtch” in English and “cwts” in Welsh, but you know how people rarely check details! I didn’t discuss the matter as it held little interest for me.]

1 Like

Oh, interesting - I’d never spell it like that - it’d be cwtsh every time for me… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cwtch in English for me, because I was brought up with that spelling of it!

That’s where I think I differed from a lot of others in “cwtshgate”. To me, I thought of it as much a part of my English as my Welsh, so “cwtch” in English was fine to me, as that was the spelling I was used to.

“Cwtsh” if I use it in Welsh, but I can remember deciding on that, as it were, for what that is worth.

4 Likes

Now, I know I could do some “research” and find this on my own, but at the moment I’m like a weather - lazy and slow in work so I’ve choosen to ask here.

Regarding software if you give kind of “requesting command”, what’s more propriate to give in instructions/software commands:

• Prynu fersiwn llawn. - Buy full version - or
  • Prynwch fersiwn llawn - Buy full version.

Thank you for potential answer.

1 Like

Tricky. For me, the English feels like a shortening of ‘to buy’ or ‘you can buy’ more than an actual order. I’ve seen it done both ways in Welsh, so a matter of taste, I’d suggest… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Diolch @aran.

It’s in relation to: You get the trial version of the software and if you want/need more features (as trial version is a limited functionality one) you should buy full version. If this is now giving you more idea of what I search for. (yah, I’m still at the idea of translating one (graphic) software into Cymraeg … I already finished Slovene work on it though.)

1 Like

Yup - either will do…:slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve used the second one. Thanki you once again.

1 Like