Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

CAN WE USE “HYD YN HYN” IN S WALES?
In S Wales, we are taught that eto can mean yet or again and that the context should clarify this.

In the N Wales Challenges Level 1, have hyd yn hyn for yet, but in Level 2 we revert to the S Wales eto.

My question is:
Where the context is ambiguous, can we use hyd yn hyn for yet in the South?
Example: Please don’t do it yet/again

1 Like

I thought, well in the south, “Nawr te!” But it isn’t the south. “Rwan te”
Meaning, ‘now then’ which is a starting something expression, not a goodbye thing. My dogs got so used to me saying it, they jumped up as soon as they heard it! Later, when I saw ‘dad’ well, I think that makes more sense

It would be good if S4C published a ‘story so far’ for everyone who comes to rownd a rownd midway through! Is there anyone on the Forum who has seen enough to send in a resume?

I’ve been watching it since visiting the set during the first northern bootcamp which was in April 2013 I think. It doesn’t take long to understand who is who, just like with any soap.

1 Like

It’s the ‘who was who’ that I find confusing!! People are mentioned, like Ron and Alwyn, and I’m not sure if their past actions are relevant, but keep thinking they may be!!

1 Like

I can’t think of Ron at the moment but Alwyn was the previous owner of the garage (played by Llŷr Ifans, brother of Rhys … forgive my uselessness with names for this next bit) whose daughter died a while back. He is the brother of the police woman. He lost his head and left but couldn’t have gone that far away because I took a selfie with him in the Urdd eisteddfod earlier this year.

Anyway, there is a specific Rownd a Rownd thread that we should maybe use. :blush:

5 Likes

Well this question arises out of RaR, but it’s a genuine question about Welsh, so fair game for this thread I think:

On the RaR Facebook page some while back, there was one of those one line teasers they do for upcoming episodes, which was talking about someone having to explain something to the “llys washi”.

I posted to ask what “llys washi” was. Today, someone has replied that it means “court” (as in court of justice, magistrate’s court or whatever). OK, that fits the context, and “llys” does mean “court” (in this and other senses), but where does the “washi” come in? I’ve not found it in online dictionaries, so I guess it’s slang. Any ideas?

(But to sneak another RaR comment in, watchers of “Y Gwyll” know that Alwyn is really tinkering with old trains in Aberystwyth).

It must be slang, surely? I don’t think ‘sh’ exists yn Gymraeg, does it?

Shwmae?

Shwmae is definitely slang! Sut mae scrunched down and spelled the English way! I,actually spell it ‘shmae’ or ‘simae’

2 Likes

Just a quick one regarding N.Welsh “medra”. I checked out the previous thread from 2015, but it doesn’t seem to completely cover this question:
Is it the case that Medra is only to be used for can (able to) and that galla needs to be used for can (may/asking for permission)? I appreciate that galla is ok for both meanings.

1 Like

I’d use ‘cael’ (ga i, etc) for that

2 Likes

@mikeellwood ‘llys was’ is ‘court servant’ . Does that help?

A bit of a long shot, but is there any chance that Llys Washi could be anything to do with the Japanese Film: The Throne of Blood? It was based on Macbeth, with two of the main characters having the family name Washizu. I remember being taken to see the film, when we were studying Macbeth at school.

Those are intriguing connections @henddraig and @JohnYoung but I think I have now found the answer, thanks to Forum Wales (which seems sadly fairly dormant these days):

http://www.forumwales.co.uk/fwforum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1791

“Washi Bach” probably refers here to “our little servant”-------“gwâs bach”.

In North Wales especially “washi” is often used for “my son”---- fy ngwâs i". It is by no means a literal translation but it is used----often on “Pobl y Cwm”

That figures, because the answer I was actually given on Facebook was “in court son”. I thought the person was addressing me cheekily as “son”, but obviously she was referring to the “washi”, which was an expression I’d never come across. This was also in the north, since it was on RaR.

Sian, the lady police detective was threatening John, her new neighbour, and who sort of fancies her, but whose son had accidentally caused Sian to nearly crash her car. John sort of apologised, but then unwisely made a joke of it, and Sian blew her top and said something like “Esbonia fo i’r llys washi” - “explain it in the court, (my) son!”

Mystery solved I think :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah, here’s something I found. Not connected but seem to be some ones actual memories:

1 Like

Sure you can… :slight_smile:

I didn’t notice that we slipped back into ‘eto’ in Level 2, but it’s kind of inevitable, since both get used… :slight_smile:

Without having heard it, I’d guess that was more ‘esbonio rhywbeth i’r llys, washi’ - in other words, that the ‘washi’ was a tag at the end of the sentence - it comes from ‘fy ngwas i’, and can be used affectionately (usually) or condescendingly…

Are you talking about in grammar books or in ordinary speech? In ordinary speech, you’ll find people playing fast and loose with them all over the place… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Diolch @Aran. As it happens, I didn’t hear it, but read it on this FB page:

There doesn’t happen to be a comma there, but I guess it’s understood (and the person who gave me a reply put one in, although she rendered “washi” as “mate”.

(As can clearly be seen, Siân is not the sort of plismones one wants to get on the wrong side of)

2 Likes

how to say “anymore” - as in you can’t buy that anymore or that doesn’t happen anymore.

rhagor? or say it another way altogether?

have looked it up but not comfortable with any of the options ive come across in this context and now curious

1 Like

I find that a rather untidy English construction. Why not, I can …no more? e.g. Galla I bwyta dim mwy. Or you can use mwyach. I can come no longer - mwyach gall I dod. Mwyach - longer, anymore! @aran is this OK?

1 Like

Diolch Henddraig. Perhaps it’s because I haven’t heard this sort of thing very much - I can see dim mwy and mwyach being useful, so thanks, although I would like to hear “mwyach” and “dim mwy” used in a conversation to get the feel for it.

I am wondering though if the “anyway” in English is almost a bit like a sentence tag sometimes. In a lot of cases I have been trying to think of I am starting to think that perhaps an “y dyddiau 'ma” or a very simple “nawr”, might suffice, but still wondering about something else probably very obvious that I might have missed.