Torfaen Meetup - Tuesdays @ 1900 - The Upper Cock Inn, Croesyceiliog

heno!

Just a reminder - this is tonight.

There is a core group of 6-7 people, including 2 first language speakers who are very good at helping stuttering Welsh to flow.

1 Like

Tonight!

One of these days I won’t add the reminder at the last minute…

Wow, what’s this? A reminder that’s several days in advance? Gadzooks!

Given that we’ve met 3 times since this last reminder, perhaps it’s actually woefully late…

Our meeting is still going on though, every Tuesday evening. There’s generally a good crowd by about seven o’clock.

Next week is slightly different though, since we’re going to give The Upper Cock in Croesyceiliog a try.

The current venue is great, but unfortunately access from the car park is via a set of steep and poorly lit steps.

Here’s the address
The Highway, Croesyceiliog, Cwmbran, Gwent, NP44 2HE

1 Like

12 people last week - that may even have been a record for this year!

We’ll be in The Upper Cock, Croesyceiliog again this week.

The Highway, Croesyceiliog, Cwmbran, Gwent, NP44 2HE

2 Likes

Superb, llongyfarchiadau mawr i chi gyd! :star2:

Next meetup: Tuesday 23rd Feb, from around 1900

We’ve been hovering around the 6-7 people mark for weeks now, so come help us push through double figures.

(Four weeks ago - and we talk of it still - there were sglodion am ddim, courtesy of the kitchen shutting down, or a clumsy waiter).

1 Like

Next meetup: Tuesday 24th March, from around 1900

Despite the lack of updates, we do meet each week. The pub is getting busier, so you may well have to search. For the last couple of weeks we’ve been meeting in the bar with the big TV, rather than the restaurant bit

1 Like

Next meeting is April 7th. (No meeting on march 31st because too many people away)

1 Like

Hello. I would like to start coming to these meetings, my welsh isn’t great and I need to practice speaking! Do you meet in The Upper Cock? How often do you meet? Diolch.

Hello.

We meet every Tuesday in The Upper Cock from around 1900 hours.

1 Like

Tonight!

1 Like

Next tuesday! (28th April)

1 Like

Despite the lack of regular updates to this thread, the Tuesday evening meetup in the Upper Cock in Croeyceiliog has still been taking place every week. Unfortunately, our numbers have fallen somewhat from our peak of 17 learners all chatting in Welsh, down to our present count of 3-4. This includes 2 native speakers, meaning that some weeks the native:learner ratio is actually 2:1.

I’m one of those learners, and my spoken Welsh has dramatically improved in the 3 years or so that I’ve been attending this meeting.

Due to the fall in numbers though, there has been talk of bringing this meeting to a close. So if you are someone who has been considering coming along on Tuesday evening, now is the time to come. In a couple of weeks I think it’s likely that this meeting will stop.

There are loads of daytime and Saturday Welsh meetups in the Newport and Cwmbran area, but this is one of the few meetings outside of work hours, so it would be a shame for it to disappear.

1 Like

. #ebostwythnosol

Hi @jamesmahoney , I’ve been meaning to go to one of the meetups mentioned on here for a while. This seems like a great time to actually do it, plus i live in Cwmbran anyway so its not far.

Am i too late or will you be having another meeting next week?

My welsh is very basic at the moment but my girlfriend is a first language speaker and at least you’ll numbers will go up by 2.

1 Like

Hi @michael

There’s no meeting next week - 2 regular attendees are unavailable.

The next meetup will be the 19th July.

My Welsh was basic when I first started going, so don’t worry about it!

1 Like

Meetup, of sorts, tonight.

I’ll be there from around 7, but of the 3 other regulars - 1 definitely not, 1 maybe, 1 hopefully

1 Like

1 of us tonight

sad-face

Probably down to karma after I threw a flip-flop at a cat trying to steal a piece of rosemary infused chicken that was gently cooking on the stove

@aran - feel free to do a video pronunciation guide for the above

Can’t wait…:wink: