Ways to spend a 'Welsh Day'?

My plans for tomorrow have been cancelled at short notice, leaving me with a rare unplanned day. I’d like to spend it improving my Welsh, but I’m trying to think of specific things to do. Obviously I’ll do some SSiW challenges and watch S4C for a while, but some variety might make for a more relaxing day! What other activities do you recommend? I’m especially looking for things which are playful and enjoyable, bearing in mind the thread about emotions and language-learning. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You could spend some time listening to this Radio Cymru programme:

I think these roughly 25 minute programmes are compilations of five 5 minute programmes when originally broadcast.

Each 5 minute segment deals (in a reasonably light-hearted way) with the origin and uses of one particular word. There are quite a few other programmes in this series in the Radio Cymru archives.

Ifor Ap Glyn is a Welsh language poet (currently National Poet of Wales) and TV presenter. I find his speaking style nice and clear, and even if Gog Welsh isn’t your thing, I don’t think you’ll have too much trouble understanding him.

7 Likes

Can you talk to anyone? Face to face, or Skype? I don’t know where you live but could you go to some sort of event? Perhaps a comedy night? Or, if your language skills are up to it, play Scrabble. It is amazingly difficult but break all the rules and certainly use a dictionary. I’m assuming the cancelled classes were Welsh classes. Can you contact any of the other disappointed students. The pub? What’s the weather like? A walk at the seaside? St Fagan’s? Youtube? There’s quite a lot of Welsh stuff there, comedic and otherwise. Do you have any audio books? Give them a listening to. The money you were going to spend on your class, spend it on a book. Do you have a Cymro for a neighbour?. Take cake, or whisky. One or the other, or both, often goes down well and I’m told alcohol often loosens the tongue.
In my work I sometimes get an unexpected day off and thery are a lovely gift. I hope you enjoy it.

2 Likes

The cancelled plan was with an English-speaking family member, and although I know there are Welsh speakers in my city (Birmingham), I haven’t managed to meet any yet. I have managed to set up a Skype (well, Facebook Messenger) conversation plan, and much appreciate the radio programme suggestion. Audio books might be fun, too, maybe I’ll do some Google searches and see if I can find kids audio books in Welsh!

1 Like

The Dref Wen site has free downloads of children’s books, which are good fun.

4 Likes

Oh, wonderful, diolch yn fawr iawn iawn! :kissing_heart: Dw i yn ‘Mog y Gath Anghofus’ (I am ‘Mog the Forgetful Cat’) :kissing_cat::joy:

3 Likes

As well as watching S4C, don’t forget that S4C has catch-up services both on its own website and on BBC iPlayer - if the schedules mean there are no programmes to your fancy, it’s worth a look at what else has been on recently (programmes are ‘up’ for 35 days following initial broadcast). Also have a browse on youtube, as there are lots of Welsh bits and pieces on there. Whilst we’re talking about youtube, why not have a go at finding a song and singing along - there are some clips with lyrics on them.

3 Likes

Diolch yn fawr, everyone, I think I’m set for a nice, relaxing, Cymraeg-soaked Saturday!

2 Likes

Maybe this would be of interest? http://www.birminghamwelsh.org.uk/