Welsh etymology and literature

Harriet Earis is repeating the course that I went to a couple of years ago “About Welsh” at Plas Tan Y Bwlch, the Snowdonia National Park Centre. It is a fascinating course that I really enjoyed. It covers the etymology of Welsh, its literature and music. In addition to her linguistic knowledge, Harriet is an internationally renowned harpist, and her session on the Saturday evening on the history of Welsh music, with a concert, is wonderful - and she brought her harp down to the bar afterwards, and we sang the rest of the night away! The course isn’t cheap, but if you want to give yourself a treat, and in a beautiful setting, go to the web site (www.plastanybwlch.com) and have a look. She is running the course in June and again in September. It is described as being taught through the medium of English, but when I went, so many of us were learning Welsh, that we ended up mostly using Welsh.

7 Likes

I heartily endorse this recommendation from my own experience.

4 Likes

This is one of the best “I walked into a talk on etymology and they all started speaking Welsh” stories I’ve ever heard! Gwych! :smile:

4 Likes

For those interested Harriet will be running this course again in 2019 on 14-16 June and 8-10 November - see: http://www.snowdonia.gov.wales/study-centre/public-courses for details.

Incidentally Plas Tan Y Bwlch will also be running again the ‘Rambling for Welsh Learners’ (another excellent course) led by Catrin Roberts on 6-8 September.

4 Likes