What am I hearing?

My wild guess (until someone else joins in): How about -
“( Mae’n) beth da (bod) ti’n yma” for Its a good thing that you’re here? Ok, I cheated by changing ti’n da into da 'ti’n.

The only other thing that comes to mind is 'da for gyda (with), but that still sounds a bit weird.

I’ll be looking out for the real answer :slight_smile:

Snap! What are you good here- what are you with here- it must be slang! If only someone had been on the set lately!, @philipnewton!!! @aran can you help?

Its not “beth? wyt ti’n dal yma?” is it? As in"what? are you still here?"

1 Like

Not really short for anything - but it’s a common usage, which is a bit like the English ‘good for something’ or ‘good for nothing’ - so literally, ‘what are you good for here?’ - kind of odd that it doesn’t get mutated, either, but there we are…

3 Likes

Yn yr her rhif tri, de lefel dau… dwim yn siŵr beth @iestyn yw ddweud am 'We/You don’t '. A yw hwn yn gywir;

In challenge number three in the second level for south, I’m not sure what @iestyn is saying for 'We/ You don’t '. Is this correct;

‘sochi’n gweld’ a/and ‘soni’n gweld’

Mae’n ddrwg 'da fi @iestyn a cat! Dwi’n trio yn galed iawn i glywed a ddeal chi! :rabbit2:

1 Like

This may help

3 Likes

O! Diolch i chi! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Diolch Pete, and da iawn cwningen!

The negative “So… person… yn” instead of “dydy [+ending]… person… ddim yn” is very common in the south, so:

dydych chi ddim yn > So chi’n
dyde e ddim yn > so fe’n
dydyn ni ddim yn > so ni’n

etc

6 Likes

Ah! Thanks!

I had wondered whether this was “good” but had dismissed that possibility due to the lack of mutation…

But that makes sense.

2 Likes

From another Facebook status, this time a young person from Aberystwyth:
“Ffili credu…” with the poster’s bilingual explanantion “Can’t believe…”.
My guess is that it’s local for ffaelu : fail (to).

Is this in common use? If so would Ffaelu only be used where “fail to/failed to” would be ok in English.

1 Like

I think David on Rownd a Rownd says this occasionally as well – I think it’s usually subtitled ffaelu but sounds like ffili when he says it.

I think the most recent occasion was “I didn’t manage to / didn’t get around to (tell Dani I was breaking up with here)”, which fits better to “fail to” than to e.g. “couldn’t” (gallu) or “didn’t” (peidio).

Yes, very common usage. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ffili is pretty much the southern version of methu.

5 Likes

What is Bechod! (or something like that), and what does it mean?

I hear it most often from Dani on RaR, often in a context a bit like “the poor thing!” (like Creadur!) but sometimes not, just after hearing something negative perhaps.

The Ap Geiriaduron says “Bechod!“ = “Shame!“. Seems to fit nicely with the connotation you mentioned.

2 Likes

Literally, ‘pechod’ is ‘sin’, but it’s used as Hendrik says in the sense of ‘what a pity’… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Bechod and bendith are two of the things that we’ve taken to using as a family to an extent that even the youngest no longer ask “er what does that mean” like they do with so many other things I say!
Bit by bit Welsh is becoming part of the everyday for us.

4 Likes

What’s bendith, then? Literally, “a blessing”, I presume, but how is it used?

Often when someone sneezes…:wink:

I’ve also heard it as a rather elaborate, slightly over-the-top way of thanking someone, but not very often.

2 Likes

It’s after a sneeze! (or should that be tisian!)
Right coffee break over - back to work…

2 Likes