What are the challenges for Welsh societies in America/Canada?

Aran
If you want me to send you the already transcribed email list, let me know
Susan Davies Sit
Welsh Soc Western New England
WelshWNE@gmail.com

1 Like

Thank you for answering Susan. This is helpful for me. Are there other challenges that have been difficult to overcome? Also, what things went well?

1 Like

Susan, that would be fantastic - maybe when we have some specific help to offer…:slight_smile:

Very interesting about the practice partner thing - have you tried the Welsh Speaking Practice? To what extent does/doesn’t that help? :star2:

1 Like

Aran could you please ask Dee to resend me the link to all the challenge Monday emails please. I want to figure out where I am and what I missed doing (Sentences and sound board etc) and catch up too.
SUSAN DAVIES SIT

If you click on ‘Learn’ up at the top there and then (when you’re over on the lesson side of the site) click on it again, you’ll see the link for your course - click on that and you should be in the control panel, where you should be able to browse through everything you’ve done… :slight_smile:

Alternatively, I think going to https://www.saysomethingin.com/welsh/6mws will do the same thing for you, if you’re logged in… :slight_smile:

My Florida Gulf Coast Welsh Society in Sarasota is a mix of Canadians, Australians, Americans and Brits. It’s well run and lively… pub crawls, gymanfas, outings, a float in the St. Patrick Day’s parade, etc. But very few speak Welsh. Those that do tend to be elderly. We are caught in a time warp…Wales as it used to be. That’s why SSI is so valuable; a window on Wales as it is now.

2 Likes

For me, I currently live in Texas, and there is most certainly a lack of Cymraeg speakers here. So for me, my only choices are to try and speak as much to my toddler daughter as possible so she hears and eventually understands it (and learns to speak it herself) and interacting online.

In that, I also have to learn to read Cymraeg and write in it because that is generally how the format works.

Which in turns means access to Welsh media. S4C won’t let us near it for most of the things I would enjoy or be able to use, and the same with the BBC.

What is actually available here in the States, and what could we start?

3 Likes

I started a Welsh conversation group here in DC with two other people, and it’s grown from there. Is there a local Welsh society? That’s a place to start, to see if there’s just one other person who wants to meet monthly. Advertise here, too, with the name of your city in the title of the thread – you’d be surprised how many people find us that way, and come.

Have you found the Radio Cymru podcast Pigion (“selections”)? It’s edited-down excerpts from Radio Cymru shows, with intros written specially for adult learners. Can be a little overwhelming, but still a good contained way to hear Welsh in the wild and pick up a few things!

The podcast (also available thru iTunes & etc.): https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02nrvyj/episodes/player

Vocab pages for each episode: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/radiocymru/authors/d7e8c1da-d12b-3421-a95e-2ab4c9f7623d

3 Likes

Uh…actually, @wirehead, I have super-good news. You’re in Austin, according to your bio? Take a look here. Other Welsh learners local to you, looking for folks to practice with!

https://texaswelshsociety.org/

4 Likes

I had no idea! I actually just have a mailing address from there (but I am physically in TX at the moment). This is certainly something worth travelling to Austin for. There is like, one Celtic shop in the entire state (and it’s in Austin). Much more Czechs and Germans in this state. So very pleasantly surprised and thankful for the heads up!

I guess I should go back. The last time I was there was almost a year ago. I bought a cilt, and now I’ve lost about 70lbs (32kg) so I need a new one. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hello. I think you might be able to access S4C and suchlike if you use a VPN. It is provided as a very inexpensive service and greatly enhances your privacy online. I know using a VPN anywhere in the world let’s you watch iplayer content as if you were in the UK. Or listen to BBC Radio Cymru. Perhaps it can do the same to access S4C. Google ‘VPN services review’ to find out the best service for you. It is quick and very easy to set up and use. Good luck!

1 Like

I know you’re keen to help, but could I just politely request that you be a little careful about recommending things like VPNs to get around broadcasting restrictions? While it’s an individual choice what people do, it’s not always legal and we would prefer not to be seen as promoting anything that could be illegal.

Thanks for understanding :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Whoops. I had no idea that a VPN could be legally dubious.

My apologies.

We Learn.

3 Likes

“Fel mae’n digwydd” such a map does exist:
https://www.saysomethingin.com/welsh/info/map
And here’s the thread for the people to volunteer their info:

3 Likes

@mikeavi are you aware of this online chat opportunity? East Coast Time Zone Meetup Beginning

4 Likes

Hi! I live in Tampa Florida! I am part of the East Coast Time Zone Meetup Beginning. We meet on Thursday nights online at 7:00. @delawarejones can give you all the details. We would love to have you!!

3 Likes

Hey! That would be awesome! We could meet and chat. Practice our Welsh. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Croeso yr ffwrm, Mikeavi! Glad you found your way here as it’s a great place filled with amazing people! It’s interesting you are moving to Asheville, NC soon. I don’t know if he is still on this forum but @johnowen lives in Asheville and fluent. Perhaps you can PM him and see if he’s still around.

If you’re ever free at 7PM on Thursday nights, you’re welcome. We’re mostly beginner’s and intermediates. We take our time, but have a lot of fun.

2 Likes

I’m still around, but on the periphery mainly. I’m excited about the prospect of another Welsh speaker in Asheville.

How is your Welsh coming along, Delaware?

2 Likes

Efallai i chi i gyd yn siarad yn y Cymraeg dros gwrw dda, yn fuan? Byddai hynny’n hwyl!`

I try and spend at least 30 minutes a day learning/practicing speaking. I know a lot, but then I watch a rhaglen Cymreig and I understand about 20%-30%. Mostly it’s learning new words and Welsh colloquialisms. If you have time any Thursday from 7-8PM, you are always welcome to join. You would be an asset!

1 Like