What can SSiW do to help learners/societies in US/Canada?

Over the last year, at two of our meetings, I’ve lead an SSi-style interactive lesson. The first was on the weather, where we got to learn fun phrases like “Mae’n bwrw llwch” (my best guess for a weather phenomenon that was unfamiliar to all of us - there were wildfires in the area, and it was raining ash), and the second was on food, where we learned the handy phrase “Dw i bron â llwgu, ga i bysgod a sglods, plîs?” (I’m starving, can I have fish & chips, please?"). So I’m all for playful ways to learn a few words.

And bootcamp would be cool, although I wonder how much it would miss out by not being embedded in a community with native Welsh speakers…

So… when I look at that list, the first “pick one” thing that pops is “promotion of active Welsh societies/meetups”… but now that I say that - via what platform? Certainly a first step would be having a resource on the Forum where learners could easily find Welsh societies in their area, or where they may be travelling.

3 Likes

Some geolocation magic would be very lovely one of these days…

2 Likes

This is one of the projects in my bucket to create a spreadsheet of Welsh interest groups. Have had good initial results from online queries.

2 Likes

Embed native Welsh speakers in your community perhaps? Bound to people who’d jump at the chance for a week’s holiday in the States for the price of having to speak their native language for a week!

Bit like this perhaps?
http://chat.cymru/welsh/meetups.html?region=south-east

Or this one?
http://admin.chat.cymru/map

Or this one?

Or this one?

3 Likes

Example one above (chat.cymru) is literally a spreadsheet turned into a website hosted for free on github, meaning it’s super simple and super, super cheap to run i.e. free

3 Likes

You can read about example 2 (the admin.chat.cymru one) in this forum post:

There’s not an issue with lack of tech for stuff like this, it’s down to a lack of people able to contribute time to running and managing it

2 Likes

Hey, That’s you! Ardderchog! Great platform you’ve built. Simple, clean…a work of art. I’m in the United States, and work Cyber Security, so I can appreciate good code.

3 Likes

I am torn between bootcamps here and promoting more active meetups and societies.

I have been looking for people in the US who are learning Welsh and looking to work on speaking it here in Texas, and so far the closest I have found is the Texas Welsh Society in Austin…4 hours away.

But I am always so jealous of the bootcamps that are just not financially feasible because of travel.

1 Like

Programmer here, but also keep finding myself pulled into cyber security work because I have the certifications. I’m over here in Huntsville, AL.

2 Likes

Be sure you’ve checked our map, too - there might be someone closer. Plus there’s always the option of joining an online chat - or starting one - via Skype, Zoom, Google Hangouts, etc…

1 Like

I checked the map and I think I only saw someone in Florida, but it was also being kinda wonky on my phone (signal is dismal in my works break room), because I just can’t believe the only Welsh Learners in the US are all clustered in Florida LOL.

I am looking to join a chat, that actually my main push to join the forum was to look for online chats :slight_smile:

1 Like

Worth having a look at www.saysomethingin.com/wsp too, then :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would choose a US bootcamp, hands down. Any good way to connect with Welsh learners in particular geographic areas? Sorry if this is retread info…I am a newbie. Thanks!!

1 Like

I am a learner in the Southwest region of the US, Arizona specifically. That said, I would love to hear if a US based boot camp is established. My long term goal is, of course, the boot camp in Wales, but would love to hear if this is a future option ;))

1 Like

Hi Kathryn,

I’m new to the forum, but am an online learner in South Central Texas. Maybe we can be email pals?

Denee

I see opportunities to add grammar tips that come up in the audio that could be referenced to sections in the Routledge grammar. Can I (or you) note them?

I’m late to this conversation, but I love all of these ideas. While I’d love to have bootcamps available, especially if native or near-native speakers could be involved somehow, I suspect it would still be a time issue for me unless it happened in my city. I think the WSP option with a North America friendly time would be very useful, and it would be great to have local/regional meetups to practice and support one another - maybe with the option of logging into to WSP as a group and having a group chat with native and fluent speakers in Wales.

2 Likes

We’re kind of ‘pretty cold’ on grammar… :wink:

Um translate cold on grammar? You have it cold? You don’t want to worry about it? You are allergic to it? It gives you a cold? If you don’t like it can we have a “safe space” on the forum for those of us who find it helps us learn? Or is there one already?

If Catrin can give us a few merciful seconds in the lessons that would be great lol