What's outside

It may well be.
Ysgwydd amryliw - Many zoned polypore. (which will darken with age).
An image of the underside would help to be sure (white with many many tiny pores).
If the underside is grey with a white edge then it is another species for which i do not have a welsh name.
(i will try to get some comparison photo’s tomorrow).

Cheers J.P.

Draig, Colli a dod o hyd - Dragon lost and found.

So i approach the supermarket trolley area (nothing unusual in that).
Trolleys need a pound coin but plenty of token of the right size seem to being used these days
and there is one lying on the ground (not to unusual, i have a few).
I pick up the token and wow it has a dragon on it (probably not to unusual in Wales).
But this is Newbury, so what are the odds of someone from Wales loosing a token here and me picking it up (spooky).

And i tried photographing gulls in flight today (need more luck or practice but it’s a start).

Gwylan benddu yn hedfan - Black headed gull flying. (young gull and the black head will appear in the spring.

Cheers J.P.

6 Likes

Here is a selection of similar looking fungi (i realise America may have some species we don’t).

Ysgwydd amryliw - Many zoned polypore (pure white underneath).

Bjerkandera adusta - smoky bracket (sorry no welsh name, pores grey with a white border).

Lenzites betulinus - Birch mazegill (looks similar but the underside shows a maze of slotted pores).

Cheers J.P.

4 Likes

It’s a stormy night here which is not good for astronomers with some large black clouds skipping across the sky, even the moon keeps disappearing.

Best on full screen.
stormus - stormy.
Lleuad - moon.
Cymylau du mawr - big black clouds.
Seryddiaeth - Astronomy.
Seryddwr - Astronomer.

Cheers J.P.

4 Likes

Reminded of:-
I used to keep a small telescope at my ‘auntie’s’ on Gower. One night, I’d said, “No use setting it up, it’s so cloudy I won’t see anything!” A little time later, she called excitedly that the sky had cleared. I went and got the 'scope, went to set it up outside and found that the clouds were scudding like the clappers and I couldn’t even see the moon!! My ‘auntie’ had been quite right, but it only cleared for about 5 minutes!! :angry:

2 Likes

I have put my Vocabulary List in a Google Doc and put it in its own thread since I can no longer edit my original post. We’ll see how this works out. Post is titled Geirfa Natur Cymraeg.

5 Likes

Cedyll coch - Kestrel.
I still have not got close enough to one of these for a decent photo, what may be interesting in the photo above is to look down the right hand edge and notice one of the small birds that were creating plenty of noise due to this bird being in their area. (i think it was a ji - binc - chaffinch but is not clear enough in the photo to be sure).

a few minutes later.

It perches here quite often but always leaves before i get close enough to get the detail i would like (bydd i’n dal ati).

Cheers J.P.

9 Likes

Coch dan aden - Redwing.

Never know what might turn up at the local lake, today an Indian runner duck, apparently the Welsh harlequin duck is a breed from this species.

Cheers J.P.

4 Likes

OK, my dear friends … Here’s something for you. Yesterday there was all peaceful and quiet, ordinary rainny day until …

Wnaeth hi’n bwrw eira ac yn a bore ma …

eira (snow)
Mae hi’n bwrw eira (it snows)

Have fun in the snow!

Hwyl! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

It snowed on the hills yesterday, so the hills of Mull have vanished in the haze this morning. It was white all over yesterday with frost, but this morning it is much more dangerous, as all paths are covered with black ice!!

1 Like

Yah, we probably are a bit on lower hights then you so we just have snow which slowly is melting down again.

Take care of yourself on those icy paths if you tend to go somewhere then.

We had snow yesterday morning - which only accumulated on the grass, not on the roads at all. Then the sun came out and there are only bits left here and there in shady spots.

1 Like

No snow here but we are forecast sub zero temperature over night.

Delor y Cnau - Nuthatch.

I now have winter feeder set up in different tree to last year with the hope of getting better photo’s of old favorites and some new species.
The Nuthatch has soon found the feeder but seems curious about my presence (i was surprised at how relaxed this species became last year at coming near me, suggesting, peanuts are more attractive than i am fearsome).

Chwilfrydig - Curious.

Cheers J.P.

9 Likes

Oh I don’t think I’ve seen a nuthatch! We get woodpeckers in winter, usually small (green? lesser spotted?) ones, but the other day a big one came, I think he/she may have been greater spotted. Unfortunately the day was so dark the photos make it almost impossible to see him in the gloom!!

1 Like

Unfortunately i have just checked with the RSPB site and it appears they don’t get as far north as you.

Cheers J.P.

I think you mean nuthatches don’t. I am just checking that you didn’t mean Great Spotted Woodpeckers :question:

mae’n drw gen i , dylen i rhoi ei enw o. (delor y cnau - nuthatch).

I do the same in conversation at times, my mind is stuck podering something said a few minutes ago.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

iâr ddŵr - Moorhen.
One photo from today that made me think about the colour description of wildlife, yellow legs hardly does them justice. The same is true of many species.

Robin goch - Robin.
In a months time this fellow will adorn many a mantle shelf - silf ben tarn.

Cheers J.P.

7 Likes

Redpoll - Llinos bengoch

4 Likes

I wish ours would come back to our garden!!! It is finch & tit central at present!!

1 Like