What's outside

Oh I don’t think I’ve seen a nuthatch! We get woodpeckers in winter, usually small (green? lesser spotted?) ones, but the other day a big one came, I think he/she may have been greater spotted. Unfortunately the day was so dark the photos make it almost impossible to see him in the gloom!!

1 Like

Unfortunately i have just checked with the RSPB site and it appears they don’t get as far north as you.

Cheers J.P.

I think you mean nuthatches don’t. I am just checking that you didn’t mean Great Spotted Woodpeckers :question:

mae’n drw gen i , dylen i rhoi ei enw o. (delor y cnau - nuthatch).

I do the same in conversation at times, my mind is stuck podering something said a few minutes ago.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

iâr ddŵr - Moorhen.
One photo from today that made me think about the colour description of wildlife, yellow legs hardly does them justice. The same is true of many species.

Robin goch - Robin.
In a months time this fellow will adorn many a mantle shelf - silf ben tarn.

Cheers J.P.

7 Likes

Redpoll - Llinos bengoch

4 Likes

I wish ours would come back to our garden!!! It is finch & tit central at present!!

1 Like

I have struggled to get photo’s of anything interesting this past week, but here are a few.

Copyn alert.

A slime mold moving from plasmodial to fruiting stage.

Dart erfin - Turnip moth (i think as there are a few very similar). i noticed it on a glass door.

Tren ager - Steam train. Came through this valley today.

Copyn y groes - garden spider (appears to be guarding it’s ball of eggs).

For anyone who may be interested, a program on S4C with Iolo williams narrating, about wildlife in the Arctic, started being repeated yesterday.

Cheers J.P.

9 Likes

Ooh! I like spiders and this is a beauty, but I like steam engines even more. I think I recognise this one from the North Yorks Moors line. It’s a bit odd with piston valves and was one of the first to start its life in the nationalised BR so it is younger than I am!

5 Likes

I hope it comes to the international channel, would love to see it.

Diolch John bach!

I hope it does as well, i’m probably biased in liking the material, but i find him easy to listen to and the subject matter is great. (if only i could hoover up the words quicker), gobeithio deall mwy blyddyn nesaf.

Cheers J. P.

1 Like

If anyone is interested in words for sea creatures, features etc… I actually enjoy watching Octonots and learn a lot!!!

2 Likes

I know that this is, strictly speaking, not wildlife and not rare, sorry, but they were actually taken outside! They are some memories from my Crimean autumn. Whenever I see a frog, I immediately fall in love with it and try to adopt it. This tiny one I met near a waterfall.

llyfant

And this is, probably, the happiest goat in the world. This picture cheers me up if I feel sad:)

gafr

9 Likes

Aw, the frog is so cute! I like the goat too, it’s adorable. :smile:

1 Like

I have a soft spot for goats and sheep:)

2 Likes

The frog is just the size of the ones in convoy that I used to see in North Wales and sometimes near here, leaving their pond and migrating! I am still waiting to see them when equipped with a camera!!

2 Likes

Oh, I’ll be looking forward to this picture!

Don’t hold your breath!!! Next year at the earliest. We have already had serious frost and deep lying hail!!!

I’m very patient and can wait till next year:)