What's outside

Yup, mine has all gone, but I did catch the culprit on camera this time. It was a badger. Mochyn ddaear oedd y troseddwr.

Mae’r boncath ddim yn hapus.

Sgwarnog selfie.

10 Likes

That’s a possibility and a treat that may come my way one day.

Just think if you had rolled on it as well, that spaniel would have been so impressed.

Cheers J.P.

I may have the same culprit but getting evidence would take some time.

Heddiw.

Gwyddau bach benywaidd o wernen - Female catkins of Alder.

Gwyddau bach gwrywaidd o wernen - Male catkins of Alder.

Gwernen gwydd bach gwrywaidd macro - Alder male catkin macro.
Lle mae’r paill yn datblygu - where it’s pollen develops.

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

Is it spring already in the UK, green grass and everything? We in Belarus are celebrating the first day of spring with a wonderful blizzard:)

2 Likes

I would say so, at least in Oxfordshire. A few cold frosty mornings, and still more rain than I’d like, but we’ve had good days as well.

3 Likes

I bought some daffodils on Sunday hoping they’d be out by today, but whilst they’ve all started and I can see yellow, not one has opened properly yet :pensive:

1 Like

Oh dear, how sad! Mine are still looking lovely! The ‘local’ variety is showing yellow as well.

Technically!! They say winter ends on Dydd Gwyl Dewi, ond, mae hi’n bwrw eira heddiw!

1 Like

Our streets are basically buried under the snow, ar ôl y storm eira fawr neithiwr!

1 Like

That is the difference the sea makes! We are fairly close with the Gulf Stream bringing warm air and our snow has gone from where the sun reaches it. Even in the dark depths provided by the hill behind our house, it is melting! Mind, a few times we had really deep snow on Gower and you couldn’t get closer to the sea without swimming!!
I remember following two dogs down the hill, taking a slightly different path, and plunging thigh deep into a drift!! I’ll swear those Labradors actually laughed at me!!

2 Likes

While here in midwest US, we are having schizophrenic weather! Two days ago the high was near 70 degrees F (about 21 C), while yesterday the temp never got much above freezing, I think. But we have snowdrops and crocus blooming in our yard and daffodils about ready to bloom - waaay early for here. It is nice and sunny today, but quite cold on our morning walk; we’ll see what happens next!

1 Like

It depends on where you are (obviously!) but up in the Pennines we woke up to find that it had snowed in the night. However, it was already raining and the snow soon went slushy and trickled away. By the time I went out it was sunny but then we had a thunderstorm and we were covered in a layer of hailstones. When the sun reappeared it all melted again so now only the tops (above 400m) are white but my wife has just rushed out to rescue the washing as there is a rainshower coming over. It’s just a bit unpredictable presently.

2 Likes

Fascinating:) Our weather is so predictable it’s boring!

1 Like

So is ours (changeable).
This morning was a chilly breeze with rain, then hail, then snow , occasionally the sun peeped
through the clouds.

word of the day: doethaf - wisest (someone who manages to go out without getting wet).

http://www.s4c.cymru/clic/e_level2.shtml?programme_id=526201800
Natur gwyllt Iolo (caint - Kent).
a very nice preview of spring to come.

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

If you haven’t heard before, the weather is famous as a topic of conversation in Britain! It wouldn’t be if it was like yours!!
I am currently trying to find more about past records, written and traceable in the landscape, of much worse floods in the past. This was featured in a programme on BBC Wales, (Week in Week out). The Prof. from Aberystwyth seemed to have good evidence that it used to be a lot wetter in Cymru than it has been for the last 60 years. The authorities base flood defence plans on measurements done in the last 60 years!!
Trouble ahead???

1 Like

Neithiwr, oedd y sesiwn dal gwyfynod cyntaf y flwyddyn.
Last night was the first moth trapping session of the year.

Roeddwn ni’n lwcus gyda’r tywydd, dwy awr sych cyn i’r glaw ddechrau.
we were lucky with the weather, two hours dry before the rain started.

Tymheredd: 6 - 5 canradd (mynd i lawr).
Temperature: 6 - 5 Centigrade (going down).

Y bore 'ma: rhew a disglerio haul.
This morning: frost and sun shine.

Crynwyr gothig - Hebrew character.

Rhisglyn y derw - Oak beauty.

Crynwr cyffredin - Common quaker.

Gwyfyn lloeren - Satellite.

Tant cyrn melyn - Yellow horned. (Mae gliciwch ar ddelwedd am maint llawn. - click on an image for full size).

Cheers J.P.

4 Likes

What great names they have!

1 Like

Yes, but I admit that, while able to look at the pictures, if I hadn’t had the nasty experience with a spider as a kid, it would be moths that I found least appealing, especially when fluttering around me!! Give me a nice snake any day!!
p.s. Heddiw: bright sun, temperature above 0C, wind only just picking up. Power cut bore’ma!!

1 Like

The weather forecast for today was continuous rain all day. About lunchtime there was a clearer spell and I took this picture from our bedroom window.

There seems to have been a minor metereological misjudgement.

3 Likes

It’s good to see your pictures; they encourage thoughts that Spring may possibly be on the way. I’m fed up waiting to get into my vegetable patch which always seems to be either muddy or frozen.
Here are my snowdrops (hundreds of them in this picture).

And here are some daffodils!

We seem to be several weeks behind.
BTW These are colour photographs!

4 Likes

I must admit Raymond, on first glance, that top one could have been a still from one of those 30s B&W psychological thrillers…e.g. “Night Must Fall”.

Great pictures though. Makes me shiver just to look at them.

1 Like

May I apologise on behalf of Biological Science for discovering how related species from DNA are and having to change the Latin names!
I’ve never seen a hornet in Wales, I have seen one in Southern England, they are scary!
I’m interested now in the issue of how different Welsh local names are from English ones and the Latin names! The whole issue of local names compared to scientific names is always interesting. I assume insect names will come up in SSiW4k!

1 Like