What's outside

Menywod mewn gwyddoniaeth, bodiau i fyny - Women in science, thumbs up.

gorffennol a’r presennol. mae llawer o fenywod ysbrydoledig mewn gwyddoniaeth, yn uwch yn un enghraifft.
I feddwl y gallai ferch gyda addysg sylfaenol gyflawni cymaint, gan ddibynnu ar reddf yn drawiadol.

past and present. there are many women inspirational in science, above is one example.
To think a girl with basic education could achieve so much, relying on instinct is impressive.

The same coast is still revealing many fossils as the soil/cliffs erode.

http://www.s4c.cymru/clic/e_level2.shtml?programme_id=526201828
Iolo ar Dartmoor.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

I hope you mean “to think a person…” and are not implying that it is more surprising that a female managed it!!! Not all my sex are as clueless as I was with the quails!
It is a shame that Mary was seen as so special, rather than it occurring to the men that many other women are just as capable and a lot of men are thick as two short planks!!!
Descending from this soapbox… which museum is that, John? Is it the one in Oxford where the young man from Paviland Cave got stolen to?? (Oh dear, I suppose, “Bring our young man back to Gower! (Or at least Swansea!)” is another soapbox! :blush:

1 Like

ah Jackie, i thank you for your post which exposed my writing in short form (especially in Welsh) lead s to the possibility of mis-interpretation and me sounding patronising.

What i meant was, a female achieving so much in a time when females were still seen as second rate by many.
This was just one example i was able to photograph and reference, another high on my list is Beatrix potter, i know there are many others and no doubt a lot more i have yet to discover.
A society that down grades women will always fall behind is my opinion.

That was how i felt growing up on the farm then realising how little i knew, life has been uphill from there, never satisfied with knowledge as i am always aware of how much i don’t know.

The museum was the Natural history museum in London, (a day forecast as wet which proved true).
I didn’t know the young man from Paviland was stolen and i’m sure you know this started as the ‘Red lady of Paviland’ , another interesting story.

After the Museum i walked around some parks on the way back to Paddington station, it was rather good for wildlife that is used to humans being nearby.

Dringwr bach - tree creeper.

Ring necked parakeet (a bird in the hand, not mine).

Bran dyddyn - Carrion crow.

Pioden - Magpie.

Creyr glas - Grey heron.

Cheers J.P.

6 Likes

Thanks JP - I walk across the park from Paddington to S Ken from time to time and there’s usually a heron to be seen and a flock of feral green parakeets; often also cormorants sitting on mooring posts on the Serpentine drying their wings. I’ve never seen the tree creeper, though, so this is going to be a great spur to me keeping my eyes well and truly peeled next time I cross the park!
Hwyl
John

1 Like

Mochyn coed anaeddfed ar Llarwydden Ewrop - Conifer golldail
Young cones on a European Larch - a deciduous conifer.
The cones are about a cm across.

2 Likes

Excellent @pippapritchard, i have been looking for these and failed so far.
Those in your image are the female flowers (but i gess you realised that).
If you wish you could send me the photo and i will screen shot at smaller file size,
then return to you so you could edit it into your post (i can’t edit the post for you).

If anyone is interested and checks the properties on my images.
They will find the images are only a few kilobytes in size (so they load fast).
That’s why click for full size is advised as this gives the best visual compatible with the original.
Try to modify them and they will pixelate fast.

I adjust the size of originals, then cut/crop the area of interest at .jpg quality.
I don’t have any image manipulation software, so (rightly or wrongly) the image is real.

This is not a criticism of those who use software to clean up or modify their images,
just an explanation of what i do. (as many camera’s now save at wonderful quality, but these are two big a file size to cross the net).

Woops, nearly forgot for those disscussing the origon of ‘pengwin’.

Great auk, unfortunately extinct due to humans, but in some stories the pengwin is thought to have been mistaken for this species.
It seems likely that some Welsh sailors would be familiar with this bird as some wintered around yns mon, as do many species today.

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

Oh, the Victorian English Gentleman did not see any reason whatsoever why he could not come to any cave anywhere in the world, find interesting remains of the locals from any era and take them back to England!! I believe the people of Greece are still not too happy about some marble from one of their most famous buildings!! :wink:
The fact that said Gentleman was sure the remains must be female because of a string of beads and was ‘probably Roman’ shows something about attitudes.
He is the oldest known human burial, I think, anywhere in Britain, having been laid in the cave anointed with red pigment before the ice came and forced his people to flee to the south.
As such, I have always felt that:

1. More people should know about him and know where he was found.
  2. He should be kept close to where he was found, not in some corner of an Oxford museum.
    I am not the only person with this feeling!!
1 Like

That does not mean you are thick, John. In fact it means the reverse. Only bright people realise how much there is to know, and care about it!!
re-bright females who managed to get somewhere, the first one to come to my attention was one Maria Skłodowska born in Poland in about 1867. (Dates are not my field of expertise!!)
Maria grew up interested in the sciences and found that a good place to continue her education would be Paris.
There some people were looking into some strange emissions discovered by a chap called Becquerel. Maria met a nice young man called Pierre Curie and ended up discovering polonium and radium and becoming Madame Curie.
I ended up learning all about those same emissions and others and protecting people from them!! Needless to say, Maria was a lot, lot, lot brighter than me!!!
p.s. I found a tiny fragment of some of her radium in a crack of the Royal Institution floor boards when checking that a lecture involving radioactive material had not left any traces!! Ours hadn’t, hers had!!!

1 Like

A bit of sunshine makes all the difference.

6 Likes

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

I believe their bodies have been moved recently (to a better place!!) seems more dis-respectful than leaving them alone to me (but obviously plenty of people think different).

Well i never got that far with radiation, but i do recall being in a class with others measuring emissions from samples (bare and then with increasing shielding). One man was getting far higher readings than the rest of us, the cause was found to be his 1950’s air-force wrist watch, which was far more radioactive than our samples.

Da iawn Pippa, those are forward in development than those i saw today.

Mae’r dydd hyn’n cynnwys dau pethau annisgwyl. - this day included two surprises.

Mae’r Gwibr cyntaf o’r blyddyn - the first Adder of the year. (for me).

Gwiber dau - Adder 2.
I didn’t want to get to close and disturb them but the second was lying in a way i could zoom in for head markings. They were not a great distance apart and i have sent word to those who survey the snakes here, hopefully the population is increasing.

Llinos bengoch - Redpole.

Titw’r helyg - willow tit (have not quite got this one feeding from my hand, but very close).

Cheers J.P.

8 Likes

Looks like you had the best day today, I bet you’re chuffed. Great pictures. These are indeed exciting times!

2 Likes

Titw’r helyg - my favourite bird.

1 Like

Did I tell you about the one who came and sat next to me on my anorak?
re:radium
The girls who painted aircraft dials licked the brushes. Nasty results eventually!
I had a number of people bring watches to me. Often the back was pretty well shielded, so I’d say, “Don’t wear it in bed and be careful with your girl friend!” Usually the reaction of the monitor frightened them enough to get a new watch! In those days, the ordinary public just binned the old one!! Ouch!
I heard of a Jeweler who had his premises checked. The whole place was practically glowing and the bench where he always ate his sandwiches was worst!! He was ever so fit and so was his Mam aged 90!! It is all a matter of statistlcal chances!!

1 Like

A great quote (maybe those watches are now colectors items and kept in a lead box).

Today a trip to the coast, who wouldn’t want to do that more often.

Creyr bach - little egret (sometimes the yellow footed egret).

Chwiwell benywaidd - female widgeon.

Hwyaden lostfain gwrywaidd - Male pintale.

Cornchwiglen - Lapwing.

Gwydd ddu - Brent goose.

Cwtiad y traeth - Turnstone.

Cwtiad y traeth yn hedfan - Trunstones in flight.

Llwynog/cadno - Fox (Half hidden, watching people wandering).

Cacynen cyffredin - Buff tailed bumble bee.

Hope you are all enjoying the sunshine while it is here and will send in some photo’s.

This weeks galwad cynnar.

Cheers J.P.

8 Likes

Gorgeous photos, John!

3 Likes

A beautiful picture from you in a park!

contrasted with my effort!! Hoping for frogs in our pond!!
(The fence divides our ‘dog-garden’ from ‘yr ardd wyllt’)
Given your even better photos from the coast, the contrast makes me squirm!!
Which bit of coast were you on?

2 Likes

Very envious. You’re lucky to be able to see such great wildlife in your own garden.

1 Like

corryn trapddrws gyda babanod.
os ochi’n gwyiioi nofalis, byddch i’n gallu gweld babanion ar ei chefn
(Sorry about my grammar and spelling dw i’n trio un galad!)
Trapdoor spider with babies.
If you look carefully you will be able to see babies on her back.

we have had a lot of rain here recently and there a lot of interesting things coming out which aren’t normally apparent. I can put some more pics on if people are interested snakes and scorpions etc.
It’s so interesting to see everyones pics from around the world, and great to see so many people all over the world learning cymreag!!!

4 Likes

Please do, I’m very interested! And if you have somewhere a picture of a toad or a frog, you’ll have my eternal gratitude :sunny:

1 Like

It was a good job that I had to look twice to be sure what this was!! NB We seem to be using copyn more often than corryn and it is usual to post “Copyn Alert” before the picture to warn arachnophobes like me!!!
ps. to @pippapritchard I know I have been lucky to live on beautiful Gower and now in a place which is not so very much less so!!
to @seren and @Leighton

1. I don’t mind pics of spiders, if warned.
  2. I adore snakes
  3. I have this feeling not many amphibians live in the dry part of Australia! I’d be surprised if there are any frogs or toads. Lizards, yes! And “Yes please!”.
2 Likes