What's outside

Sympathy!! :hugging: and diolch, but it may be my computer’s fault!

Unlikley, i am 200km from any towns here so having any net is pretty cool. If i got a better phone plan it would be fine though!

Heddiw - Today.

Sioncyn gwair cyffredin - common field grasshopper. (i find in Iolo Williams book this is also ceiliog rhedyn yn gymraeg, which seems to be like ‘fern cockerel’ ).

Chwydden geirios o dan dail dderwen - Cherry galls under oak leaf, those in the background may be soser fach y dderwen - spangle gall (but i’m not certain).

Aeron ysgawen - Elder berries.

Ysgwydd amryliw - Many zoned polypore.

Cheers J.P.

5 Likes

Beth ydw i, te?

1 Like

I’m no expert. but my reaction was coot chick (cyw cwtieir). @ramblingjohn, what say you? I suppose size matters!! Also location!
Oh, and John, you weren’t in the best locations up here for wildlife! (Dolphins offshore at Aberdeen?)

Me neither, my first reaction was moorhen chick - iâr ddŵr (yellow tip to beak) ond, dw i ddim yn siwr- but i am not sure.

Heddiw - today.

Mae’r Troellig yr hydref wedi dechrau ymddangos - the Autumn lady’s tresses have started to appear.

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

Penblwydd Hapus John bach!

3 Likes

Is it? Pen blwydd hapus from me too!
I’ve been looking for pics of coot and moorhen chicks and am still not sure! It depends how old the chick is and is it UK or US?

It´s a (UK) moorhen/waterhen, not a coot. However there seems to be a lot of confusion over the Welsh names for these two creatures. What are the accepted ´book´ names for each?

Confusingly in Cornish a Coot is a ´dowryar´ (lit. water-hen), while a Waterhen is a ´lagyar´ (lag- seems to be something to do with puddles or splashing?)

There’s a lot of ‘confusion’ over most animal names (especially birds!) until dialects are wiped out and book names take over.

However, Iolo Williams agrees with ramblingjohn’s post here :blush:

So does my quick and easy ipod ap!!
Ddoe, for the first time this year,
well, the first picture actually shows rather more of my honeywort - cerinth, which certainly does attract the bees

but in this close up

we think - young spotted woodpecker, not sure if greater or lesser. cnocell brith ifanc.
(Didn’t find cerinth or honeywort in geiriadur. Mel something or something mel, obviously!!)

5 Likes

Greater : The Lesser has only horizontal bars on its back IIRC.

1 Like

dw i’n cytuno, (and i have not found a welsh name for honeywort).

Heddiw - Today.

blodau/hadau o hasg - flowers/seeds of common reed.

Hadau o Masarnen - sycamore seeds.

Pincas Robin - Robin’s pincushion.

gall ar con benywaidd gwernen - Gall on female cone/catkin of Alder.
No welsh name so in Latin Taphrina alni (a fungus).
This starts out looking like a red tongue then darkens, only one better image on wikipedia so i hope someone may find a young specimen to photograph.

Cheers J.P.

6 Likes

OK second go!!! Pys Sturt, Sturt Pea. Had a fair bit of rain in recent months in the arid lands and these guys have started to appear, these are the South Australian floral emblem.

4 Likes

ac mwy

4 Likes

Ac arall blodyn. This is an Erimophylla or commonly called an Emu bush, It is called this as the esse needs to pass through the digestive tract of an animal (generally an emu to remove the hard coating before it will germinate.

4 Likes

Mwy ond, dw i ddim yn gwybod beth yw hwn. I think it is a daisy.
Sorry I don’t want to hijack this post with too many photos of Aussie flora so if I put too many on please let me know, It’s just that many of these don’t make an appearance for many years at a time out where I work, and I thought they are likely very different to many plants the majority of people in this forum would see. Though I realise I am making a massive assumption that most reside in the Northern Hemisphere!

6 Likes

um mwy, llygad y dydd melyn.
One more, yellow daisy.

4 Likes

Last one for now (I promise).
This is a 180 degree panorama shot from the Moon Plain which is just outside the opal mining town of Coober Pedy. I bet you can’t guess why the call it the Moon Plain!! and believe it or not this is about as lush as you will ever see it as it has a touch of green!!

6 Likes

The forest looks fantastic!!!

1 Like