Where am I?

Thinking ahead to the next academic year and wishing to maximise my options regarding classes, it would be helpful to know whereabouts one is…I have been going to DysguCymraeg Entry Level class since September, and by June I’ll have completed half of the 28 units of Entry. BUT I am up to challenge 8 of Level 2 SSiW. The classes are feeling very easy now. I feel like I could possibly consider skipping the 2nd year of Entry and cutting straight to Foundation. Anyone with any experience of this who could offer advice please? Thanks.

2 Likes

The Welsh for Adults system and learning through SSiW can complement each other. The issue is that SSiW improves you’re speaking and listening ability more quickly than Welsh for Adults, unless perhaps you are doing the ‘super fast track’.
If you are doing Level 2 you are probably at Sylfaen level already. You can skip courses to a level that is useful to you. You’ll probably be Canolradd level by the end of Level 2.
I did all of SSiW (Courses 1-3 and Levels 1-3) and a bwtcamp and started Uwch. My speaking and listening is as good as the stronger speakers in the class. i’m only really going to the classes as at Uwch they are all in Welsh, so it’s great practice and still doing the basic grammar, but more intensely.
You won’t be missing anything as everything is repeated.
Just be aware that you are in a different place to people who only do Welsh for Adults. Last week we did a masculine / feminine words quiz, I guessed them all and got 50%, whilst everyone else got almost 100%. Don’t allow this to sap your confidence though as you are getting speaking more deeply embeded through SSiW

2 Likes

That is extremely helpful, thank you. Just the sort of answer I was looking for. On that basis, assuming I can finish SSIW Level 2 by September (and I’m sure I will) I will look at Canolradd, but happily settle for Sylfaen if the lessons are more convenient. I appreciate your point about being in a different place. I wont let that put me off. Thank you!

2 Likes

AGREE. Ditch entry, foundation, and maybe even Canolradd.
This discussion on the forum discusses this too (actually started by @Y_Ddraig_Las :slight_smile: ).
Pob lwc! x

2 Likes

Thank you Sylv, all this advice is really helpful.

1 Like