Why are you learning Welsh?

As a translator, I am very glad that Google Translate is still not perfect! It’s hard enough to find work as it is, with the recession!

4 Likes

I’m sure it will never be perfect or replace the human translator:)

2 Likes

Millie, can you tell me if the TV sometimes uses some sort of recognition software to make subtitles, because I’ve seen errors which seem to be as if the translation was mis-heard. I can’t think of an example off hand, I’m afraid!

They do sometimes use such software, but sometimes, it is just down to a really poor translator! (Not me, obviously! :smile:

4 Likes

Hello, how are you people? Well, this is my story!
One day I was doing the dishes and it came a text from my best friend telling me that put the chanel Espn on the tv. I was so confused because I didn’t expect to find what I actually found! It was a rugby match, from a certain tournament called Six Nations and the teams playing were Ireland and… Wales. At first, I was fell in love with the anthem! And then I felt so curious about the sport, (even knowing that we have a national team “Los Pumas”) and for the welsh team actually… ok, gonna be honest, it was because I was feel attracted for some players :blush: . So, when Wales won the tournament I actually felt different from how I felt on the first match. I started to desire to know more about this nation and the culture. The moment when I found on internet about a group of welsh people that came to Patagonia in 1865, and actually there are descendants. I was so happy and I couldn’t believe!
Finally, I want to learn welsh because I consider it is a wonderful language and some day I want, sooo much, to LIVE in Wales :heart:
Thanks for reading, for ask and this is my weird story!
Cheers! x

Ps. Feel sorry if there are orthographic mistakes! I’m from Argentina and we speak in spanish.

13 Likes

Then you’re more then happy to face the victory of “Los Pumas” over “Springbox” yesterday for the first time ever, didn’t you?

My story is prety much the same just a bit different beginning it has … and I live in totally (now I can say this) different world from not only yours but Cymraig aswell … at least this is many times my feeling - like I would live on another planet though …

3 Likes

Croeso!! And I think your English is brilliant! I presume you are not related to any of the people from the Mimosa or later ships? There is a lot of effort currently to improve the numbers using Cymraeg in Patagonia, so you might be able to visit and use the language there!! Our First Minister just visited and S4C has been full of programmes about the 150th anniversary!!
p.s. don’t mention the dreadful showing on Saturday when Ireland demolished us!!!

5 Likes

we may need a world cup thread soon. cant wait. Spent last night screaming my head off at the telly. Great game and good to see us (the Wallabies) finally get a win over the All Blacks, but very hard to see them not winning the cup :frowning:

Indeed! :smile: Well, a little bittersweet for both… Wales losing and Argentina winning for the very first time on a very special date! But, you know how it is and I support both at the same time no matter the result!
I was impressed with your story and how all went until this day! It is indeed that we live in different places, but we can connect people sharing our own culture and it’s amazing how this site can do that!

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr!! :smiley: No, sadly I’m not related to any people from there because I’m actually from Santa Fe, it is in the north near Buenos Aires. I was looking for more info about the story and I found a group con Facebook and so many pages from there! My uncle, aunt and cousins live in Santa Cruz, is a province below Chubut in Patagonia, and I stayed a season there in 2013 but sadly I didn’t traveled to Chubut. I wanted to travel for the anniversary day on July but I couldn’t too! And when I read about the First Minister coming I was excited! So I’m gonna go and take a look on the S4C page! Thank you so much!

p.s I support them no matter the result, I feel like I’m part of this pasion too! :heart:

3 Likes

I learned today that as well as the more well-known Patagonian Welsh-speaking community, there is also a small Afrikaans-speaking community somewhere in Argentina. I think they arrived in the 18th century or so. I guess Argentina has such a long coastline that refugees heading west from Europe had a reasonably high probability of hitting it sooner or later! :smile:

3 Likes

I’m from Sydney - I started this course a number of years ago but stopped when I went back to uni. But I’ve picked it up again as a way to keep sane during my thesis. I love all languages and try and learn about as many as possible. I’m fascinated by Celtic languages (I don’t have Welsh ancestry but I have Irish and Scottish), and I also have family friends in Swansea who I visit when I can, though they don’t speak Welsh.

2 Likes

There are a lot of Slovene people in Argentina aswell, I believe Buenos Aiers is one of the cities where there is quite large Slovene community. They still speak Slovene and even young people learn the language. When there is annual meeting of Slovene people living abroad which is held in Slovenia, it’s impressive to see how many people gather there and most of them who come across the pond are from Argentina, quite some from Austraila aswell andall around America too. Yah, Slovenians are quite scatterred around all the world too …

1 Like

I thought they had another go next week!! On Sky TV they definitely said that both games were for the cup! (I was confused, but presumed it was a matter of combining the results!) :confounded:

The Bledisloe cup, yeah. Team that holds it has to win one of the two, the challenging team has to win both. Been a long time since it has been on this side of the ditch :frowning: Sorry though, I meant its hard to see the Kiwis not winning the world cup.

It’ll be nice for @gabycortinas to see someone else from Argentina here! :sunny: A very warm welcome to the forum, and huge congratulations on a remarkable result against the Springboks! :sunny:

1 Like

I think we’ll need The World Cup as a Forum subject, but for now, well, I agree, but I don’t remember what happened to the Blacks in '91, because I was watching my country lose and lose and lose, and then I sang ‘Advance Australia Fair’ at the final, but I do know the Kiwis didn’t make it that far!! i.e. things don’t always pan out as expected!!!

1 Like

You do one, why not? :slight_smile:

I was, and am waiting for it to start!!!

I am greatly interested in the lore of the British Isles, most so the mythological and linguistic parts thereof. The Mabinogion I thought to be one of the most wonderful and vivid things I’ve read, and I thus wished to learn the language of the lands whence the tales came. Indeed, I’d most like to gain some understanding of Old and Middle Welsh such to be able to read some of the old writings in their right language, and think Modern Welsh will help me do so more easily (and I must say these lessons are excellent for that; I’d not have learnt such a lot teaching my silly old self).

Moreover, after learning about how the Insular Celtic languages came to form, I was quite desperate to learn some of their modern forms - those which have come down to us over so many years.

Lastly, even though I am English, many of my forebears were Welsh in days of yore. There’s also that I love the way Welsh looks written; only Old English compares!

(I think I may have rambled on a little here - apologies if so.)

9 Likes