Yes/no

Hi again, I’m hoping you can help me with the following . I’m on lesson 13, course1 and have discovered that so far there are many different words for yes and no and am feeling a bit perplexed with the amount as I’ve started finding it difficult to remember them all. Wondering if there is a tricks to remember which one goes where? Also are there more to come lol?

Also does any one else find. Making up questions difficult?

Thank you for your help
Wendi

Bore da (yn Awstralia) Wendi. This is an interesting feature of all Celtic languages and answers to questions are probably easier to deal with at first than framing them. Your response is normally determined by the question. e.g. ydy hi’n braf? Ydy/Nac ydy. Oes gen ti blant? Oes/Nac oes. You will absorb the different ways of asking and responding to questions over time by learning usage patterns and SSIW will introduce them to you and repeat them in an incremental way.

2 Likes

Helo Wendi,

What you are feeling about yes and no is very common. It gets easier with time and practice. Here is a link to a previous thread that might help: forms of yes and no

2 Likes

Great answer from Guy, great link from Anna - the bottom line here, Wendy, is: don’t worry about it. If you only ever say ‘Ia’ and ‘Na’, you’ll be understood perfectly - so anything else is a bonus… :sunny:

3 Likes

Hi to All
Just read the Thread you gave me. Very helpful thank you. That’s sorted that one.
Any thoughts on making up sentences… I seem to have a mind block on being able to do that… Thank you

Put yourself in a situation where you need to communicate and have a ‘Welsh only’ rule - even just for 5 minutes a week :sunny: