2016 Tresaith Bootcamp July 23-30

I’m pretty sure it’s “Pan mae Toni yn canu”

2 Likes

Diolch @hectorgrey. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve just got out of bed and my post-bootcamp-and-eisteddfod nap. Did I miss anything?

I must say that I enjoyed this bootcamo even more than I normally enjoy them. There were so many different characters with different levels of Welsh, different challenges and confusions, and different ways of laughing…

The noson lawen was immense (it always seems so frightening at the beginning of the week, yet by Thursday, it just seems to click), the company at the tea table and in the pub was always top notch, the singing was cool, and the way the group just got on with living (and enjoying) life, in Welsh, was absolutely how bootcamp should be, and usually is.

Diolch yn faawr i chi gyd - I can’t wait to see some of you back for another one!

And Lynne - the way you threw yourself into everything despite not always knowing what it was you were throwing yourself into, was one of the hilights. Anyone with that commitment to “just doing it” is guaranteed success at what they are doing. I hope you have noticed the difference in your Welsh!

6 Likes

She did it great as I never noticed she doesn’t actually have a clue what she’s throwing herself into. … Hilarious! :exclamation:

Well, iestyn in your saesneg speech at the beginning you said that the person who has the lowest ability often progresses the best. Well, I knew I was bad but I didn’t know how bad! By the end of the week I realised how bad I was! however, that was the gateway to my actual learning. Being at the Eisteddfod with Margaret was very valuable because we spoke a lot of welsh (well she spoke and I tried to understand). I had a few small conversations with people. One I will never forget. I was in a stand which was selling old books and I spoke hesitatingly to the elderly gentleman explaining that I was a learner. He was lovely and asked me questions about my learning journey. When he found out I was from Australia he jumped out of his chair and began calling friends over to meet me. I was soon surrounded by a group of obviously native speakers who were extremely intrigued to meet this oddity. I’m sure they all said lovely things to me but I was lost in a sea of beautiful welsh. Just being there immersed was more valuable than I realised even then. I bought some books and I downloaded Lingo Newydd ap which has the narratives for the levels. I bought one of those daily encouraging desktop calendars and I learn each day’s message until I can recite it. My listening ability has increased hugely. I used to try to translate as I was listening, which was not working because I would soon lose the plot. I am beginning to realise that I have to use the language in its own right and not translate. For example I know that barod means ‘ready’ and siarad means ‘speak’. I don’t need to translate them. My mind just had to shift into a different mode and leave the other mode behind. If I don’t know a word I just let it go and pick out the ones I do know. This way I can work out the gist. I’m off home next week and I am very sad to be leaving Cymru. I’m already planning my next Bootcamp next year. Iestyn and Cat, thank you soooo much for your commitment to Cymraeg and to all us SSIWers. Next time I will actually be able to talk to you!!!

10 Likes

Why I cried in my soul reading this?

Probably of beauty how this is written and actual feel of your feeligs. If it happens to meet you once again I’d give you a warm hug in deed. You are a star and I hope you believe it now.

Happy and safe trip home and come back soon (sadly I probably won’t be there when you do so) … By the time you’ll be an excellent Welsh speaker just because you’ve just realized this: [quote=“lynne_freudigmann, post:93, topic:4334”]
I used to try to translate as I was listening, which was not working because I would soon lose the plot. I am beginning to realise that I have to use the language in its own right and not translate. For example I know that barod means ‘ready’ and siarad means ‘speak’. I don’t need to translate them. My mind just had to shift into a different mode and leave the other mode behind. If I don’t know a word I just let it go and pick out the ones I do know. This way I can work out the gist.
[/quote]

Now I know you’ll even more boldly go forward on your way of learning.

Happy journey it will be.

Tatjana

1 Like

Dear Tatjana, I missed getting to know you because I was not able to communicate but I will remember the joy and laughs you brought yo Bootcamp. Thank you for your encouragement. You are an example for me to follow.

1 Like

@lynne_freudigmann , I truly believe your comment quoted by Tatjana is the most helpful I have seen on the Forum, but it will not be seen by most on this thread. It reminded me of the times I could follow conversations on buses in ‘Wenglish’ and another in Punjabi sprinkled with English! A few hints give huge help!
Anyway, would you be willing for @tatjana to put your comment or link it into a ‘helpful information’ thread?
I thought this was tied at the top, but maybe its in FAQ now??

1 Like

Sure, I’m happy for it to be used if it’s helpful.

Implemented into @seren’s useful list.

No it’s not in FAQ and the explanation why it isn’t on top all the time through all forums I’ve written once but just can’t find where now. (I actually spent an hour or so searching but didn’t find what I’ve searched for. :slight_smile: )

Lynne - that is absolutely wonderful news. I always feel sorriest and most excited at the same time for the people who attend bootcamp “early”. Sorry because a whole week of living in a language that you struggle to understand and communicate in can be so frustrating, and excited because in having a week of enjoyment surrounded by Welsh and being enabled to use what Welsh you want to without fear of “having to turn to English” (or having your opposite number turn to English!), you will always make a huge leap in your language abilities.

I’m so glad that you had those massive positive experiences at the Eisteddfod as well. The Eisteddfod is a beautiful place for new speakers to immerse themselves in Welsh, and you obviously grasped the opportunities that it offered with both hands, and got your just reward!

I’m really looking forward to seeing you again, and seeing your progress for myself!

All the best

Iestyn

5 Likes

Lynne this is wonderful news!!! When you said to me you felt you’d never be able to speak Welsh, part of me was worried that you may turn away from it - a real risk after such a difficult week. I hope now you see that there was a lot that went over everyone’s head, however, some had reach that point of understanding the “gist” - you’re there now!! That’s great news!! I often misunderstand words or hear things I don’t understand but the gist manages to nudge it’s way through. Dw i’n mor hapus dy for ti’n teimlo’n well!

It was great to meet you, I hope one day we can have a proper chat in Welsh and get to know each other. You were great company with only a small amount of conversation and that’s amazing in itself!

3 Likes

_diolch yn fawr iawn Anthony. You don’t need to worry about me giving up as I’m just as obsessed as ever.

4 Likes

@Kinetic Pretty please, is there anything you can do to pin the really helpful thread??? It really is helpful and keeps getting lost!!

Henddraig, Just use the search facility (at the top to right of Forum looks like a magnifying glass,
click on it and type really useful into the box, and a link will appear.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

Yes. “Really useful” always fives you the desired topic on the first place.

The more problem is, maybe that one doesn’t always remember how the title of the topic actually begins or what words it consists from. But anyway, iit’s prety easy to find it that way, yes.

I know that, John, you do .and most folk who have been on the Forum a while know. But, with respect, who is most likely to need tips, hints and other really useful stuff? Surely those recently come to the Forum and they are least likely to know about searching. That is why I asked @Kinetic if any pinning could be managed. I wonder about a new thread, called, ‘Link to really useful stuff’, pinned to the top and containing just a link!!???

Point taken and understood.
Maybe a link could be in the very top bar next to FAQ.

Cheers J.P.

Syniad da.

@kinetic pinned the thread globally on May 23, so any new users should see it at the top.

If you’re not seeing it pinned at the top then mostly you have unpinned it for yourself. To re-pin it for yourself

• find the thread via the search box
  • click the pin that’s visible to the left of the thread title. To be pinned it needs to be shown the right way up i.e. the pin bit pointing downwards