2016 Tresaith Bootcamp July 23-30

Henddraig, Just use the search facility (at the top to right of Forum looks like a magnifying glass,
click on it and type really useful into the box, and a link will appear.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

Yes. “Really useful” always fives you the desired topic on the first place.

The more problem is, maybe that one doesn’t always remember how the title of the topic actually begins or what words it consists from. But anyway, iit’s prety easy to find it that way, yes.

I know that, John, you do .and most folk who have been on the Forum a while know. But, with respect, who is most likely to need tips, hints and other really useful stuff? Surely those recently come to the Forum and they are least likely to know about searching. That is why I asked @Kinetic if any pinning could be managed. I wonder about a new thread, called, ‘Link to really useful stuff’, pinned to the top and containing just a link!!???

Point taken and understood.
Maybe a link could be in the very top bar next to FAQ.

Cheers J.P.

Syniad da.

@kinetic pinned the thread globally on May 23, so any new users should see it at the top.

If you’re not seeing it pinned at the top then mostly you have unpinned it for yourself. To re-pin it for yourself

• find the thread via the search box
  • click the pin that’s visible to the left of the thread title. To be pinned it needs to be shown the right way up i.e. the pin bit pointing downwards

Diolch yn fawr iawn, James! I didn’t unpin purposely, but I find my current laptop incredibly easy to mis-key on! I seem to hit Ctrl or Alt plus whatever I meant to press and find myself shooting out of the Forum or typing on another threat at the drop of a hat!! This is not the Forum’s fault! It is my tendency to touch type on a keyboard of rather compressed nature and resting on my knee on a sofa, while seeing poorly with one eye!
I have re-pinned!
@tatjana, @Kinetic You will see from this exchange that it is all my own fault!
edit:
I just went from ‘Really useful’ (pinned) to ‘Users’ and then something else. I then found ‘Really useful’ had unpinned!! I repinned and since then the pin has stayed through visits to lots of threads! Is it an artefact of going via the ‘hamburger’ select?

No, it’s not your fault and it was surely not cause by unpinning by @henddraig @jamesmahoney. It’s not at the top even if one pinned it. It’s just that we tried to pin it globally but for some reason it doesn’t want to be on the top. It is pinned globally but something prevents it to stay on top. Neither @Kinetic nor @CatrinLliarJones couldn’t do more according to what I know. So one link on the banner maybe would really save the issue of accessibility but if it means it’d be on the banner on Learning site aswell, this wouldn’t be just good effect of the things. People are often mixing Learning page and forum even without it and seing “Really useful stuff” on the Learning page banner (upper bar) would be even more confusing I believe.

It’s possible for users to unpin globally pinned topics just for themselves. This is what I believe @henddraig did (and all it takes is clicking on the pin when you go to open the thread to accidentally unpin it).

Regarding a link to the useful thread - why not have the link (or event the content) added into the FAQ?

Yes, but it isn’t on the top even if it would not be unpinned by her. I’ve tested that …

This could be a bit confusing because there are 2 FAQ pages - one is Forum FAQ and the other is SSi FAQ and both are accessible from the forum page.

Each page has (understandably) different content.

Otherwise … ja, the link could be in Forum FAQ too, but I’m not sure this is easily made as this page is pre-installed by discourse and I’m not sure how much will @Kinetic has on top of all work he has to do to bother with this (right now).

This is the view that a brand new forum user sees. The really useful thread isn’t quite on top, but that’s because of all the other posts that have been globally pinned. But the really useful thread is definitely above all the other posts.

So new users are getting a chance to see this topic.

When are you not seeing it pinned above other topics?

James

1 Like

That’s problem @aran to worry about! If you feel there’s a benefit to be made from a change let him know.

As it happens, changing the faq page provided by discourse is (apparently) straightforward

1 Like

I know, but still. I don’t like to put people into too much work … :slight_smile:

Good news to know …

1 Like

Syrpreis bendigedig

I turned the page in my latest Lingo Newydd (*) and was delighted to find a picture of @Iestyn, his young helpers and the July Bootcampers beaming at me. The article was focussed on the overseas participants @tatjana, @brigitte, @lynne_freudigmann and @elkiedeadman who were each interviewed (yn y Gymraeg, wrth gwrs) about their reasons for learning Welsh and other things.

Another good plug for SSiW - Llongyfarchiadau i chi gyd.

(*) My reading and writing in Welsh is pretty ropey and I find this colour-coded (blue for beginners, green from more proficient and red for winners of the Cadeiriau Eisteddfod ) bi-monthly magazine a very good resource. You can now subscribe online by going here. ( @aran - please let me know if I’m breaking any advertising rules here)

5 Likes

@hewrop I believe you don’t break any advertising rules as this link was posted elswhere on the forum.

Tell me something different: IS THIS LAST EDITION AVAILABLE where we are??? I’ve just told @brigitte on Sunday when we spoke that I intend to ask @Iestyn in which newspapers all those inteviews we’ve given are and you’ve just brought me part of what I wanted to know. I also thought the other day that I have to subscribe to Lingo Newydd and Walla! I just have to now. I’m one of those in it! - haha. The reason more I do subscribe now.

Thank you very much for this.

@Iestyn when you’d have some time, can you give me hint where to find another interview, that one from Wool Mill - yma:

To be honest I was told which newspaper it will be in but I forgot (didn’t remember). I just remember it is not available online, that’s all.

1 Like

@tatjana If I can persuade my ubuntu running netbook to connect to my scanner (my windows 10 desktop won’t :confounded:), I’ll send you a scan of the page in question (and anyone else of the bwtcampwyr gorfennaf who ask).

If you can manage the scan, I’d like to have a copy, please. Thank you very much in advance.

Thank you @hewrop. Hopefully it will work. :slight_smile:

@hewrop, diolch yn fawr iawn am y tudalen. It is nice to read and brings back wonderful memories.

Yes, please! And I know that@elkiedeadman is anxious to read what she said!