2018 Tresaith Bwtcamp September 22-29 - <<Fully booked>>

That’s the plan :grinning:

2 Likes

Croeso Owen
I’m around the same level as you and being a glutton for punishment (Aran and Iestyn not listening I hope) I also enrolled on the 6MWS. I often lapse into ‘goldfish mode’ when attempting a conversation away from our protected environment but realise that if I say something that’s not quite right people are very understanding and it gets easier to laugh it off.
See you in a few weeks - and bring that guitar along to gig with Bob
Karen

1 Like

The “dim Saesneg” rule is an absolute blanket ban, and the more that ban is upheld, the easier it becomes. That means that speaking on the phone in English and texting in English will affect the results of your bwtcamp. That’s not telling you that I will be “amrking you down” or anything - it’s just that English influence will alwasy try to drag you back to “speaking English and learning Welsh” rather than “speaking Welsh”.

However, we do appreciate that you have a life outside of bwtcamp, even if that life is “on hold” for a week! And that sometimes, you may need to sort things out with people who genuinely wouldn’t be able to support you in your Welsh only rule. Really really keep those moments to a minimum. You’ll find that texting in Cymraeg will be a chlalenge in itself, as will understanding some of the 'google translate’d replies… But just for one week, it;s worth it for the results!

3 Likes

I’m really looking forward to meeting you all, and we have a bwtcamp guitar kindly donated by a previous bwtcamper, so budding guitarists among you won’t be able to shy away from your duties there :wink:

And here are my answers (I’m guessing what the questions are :smile: )

My name is Dee and I now live in Llandysul, though I’ve moved around quite a lot over the years, growing up in Aotearoa (New Zealand), then spending many years in Australia, before coming to Wales, learning Welsh and moving west.

I want to speak Welsh because I love languages and I can’t imagine living in a country where another language is spoken and not speaking it. I wouldn’t feel properly part of the community.

I also love singing, even though I do it badly and sometimes end up totally hoarse after a lively evening around a bar piano. My favourite thing is learning languages though, closely followed by helping others to learn languages.

See you all in Tresaith - not long to go now!

Dee

4 Likes

If my piano was portable, I’d pop it in the car! Don’t suppose anyone’s got access to a portable keyboard?!

We need to send out a piano SOS!!

1 Like

I’m not going to promise that it works, but there is an electric piano in the cupboard in Tresaith. I shall make sure that I bring a power cable for it, and we can fire her up!

3 Likes

If it doesn’t, I could bring mine. I’m sure it would appreciate someone with a bit more skill actually using it for a change :smile:

2 Likes

Af i meddwl dod i’r Bootcamp mis Medi os gwelwch yn dda. Ro’n i’n astudio Cwmraeg dau blynedd yn yr dosbarth a nawr dw i’n eisiau ymarfer mwy, siarad a gwrando.

Hwyl Chris

I’ve got an electric keyboard. Let me know if I should bring it along

I’m going to print off the words of some classic welsh songs!!
Do we need sheet music? Does anyone read/need sheet music??
Also, you and Karen were talking about charades yesterday @Deborah-SSi, sounds like fun to me!!

2 Likes

I’ve got some sheet music but good idea to print some for any you’re printing the words of. :musical_note:

1 Like

We have some word sheets with all the usual favourites on them, and also a couple of books with the music in them, so we should be right for those.

I’ll message Catrin now while I think of it and see if she remembers the charades and if she still has them somewhere.

1 Like

I feel like I’m just sitting back and watching everybody preparing the musical ensemble !! I have no musical talent whatsoever but I’m happy to try …

Welsh charades - oh yes :slight_smile:

I can feel the excitement building already

Charlie

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sorry, bringing up the rear a bit here. OK, I like singing but my husband says I howl rather than sing but so long as the true musicians play loud enough nobody will hear. I think it is the taking part that counts? I’m sure someone said that once. Charades and board game sounds scary but then again, what could possibly go wrong! How many weeks have I got now to revise and try and remember all the stuff I keep forgetting xxx

3 Likes

Barbara, I can’t sing either but I’m not going to let a little thing like that stop me doing it!! Maybe we can do a howling duet for everyone?!

3 Likes

And safety in numbers, let’s howl away x

2 Likes

This is certainly warming up! For your infrmation, I do have a couple of song sheets - words, no music - and some song books with words and music, as part of the bwtcam cit. We sing a lot on bwtcamp.

And for anyone thinking of “revising” before coming - you’ll get all the revision you need on the first day or three. Don’t try treating Bwtcamp as an exam and cram Welsh to try and “do better” or anything.

Instead, practice laughing, practice starting sentences, and practice breaking what you want to say into the simplest of components. Have a look at level 1 Welsh vocab, and just imagine all the sentences that you can say with that amount of Welsh. Exoeriment (in English or Welsh) with how flexible the basics you know are. Bwtcamp will develop that, but if you are already thinking that way before you come, you will have no problems!

3 Likes

I can do that bit :joy:

Recordings please, Ali!