2019 Tresaith Bwtcamp June 22-29 - **Last minute space available**

Hello all, I’m Kathryn. I was born and bred to English parents on a farm in north Pembrokeshire (the very Welsh part of the West Wales coast) and still live there to this day. I attended the local Welsh medium school up to the age of 11. Sadly, I went into the English stream at secondary school after that, and lost all but a few basic aspects of my Welsh language skills. I have 4 bilingual children, 3 have grown up and moved away now, but I have one 10 year old son at home. My SSiW experience has been transformational, and now having just turned 50, my Welsh skills are finally back where I was all those years ago - still fairly basic but improving every day. I am very lucky, as I have plenty of opportunity to use my Welsh at work, home and in my Welsh speaking community - so NO excuses!! My favourite things in life are family time, walking, working and improving my Welsh. Looking forward to meeting you all soon. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello, I’m Cath and I’m from Bridgend in South Wales and still live in the same area. I did some Welsh in school but not enough to hold a conversation. I started learning again when my children were young as they both went to Welsh school and are bilingual but I never managed to stick with it. I’ve tried learning on and off for years but finally feel like I’m making progress with SSiW.
My grandmother and great grandmother spoke Welsh but my mother didn’t continue it. I now have a grand daughter who will be brought up Welsh speaking so it’s a good time for me to join in!
I love being outdoors and keeping fit by swimming, walking and running. I enjoy crafts and making things and I’m also in a choir which I think is good at keeping my brain active too.
This will be my first bwtcamp and I’m sure I’ll be apprehensive but reading about everyone here has definitely helped and I’m looking forward to it!

2 Likes

Hi my name is Rachael and I live in a small village not far from Bridgend too. I did Welsh at school and night classes but found we were just covering the sameness material all the time and it just seemed slow. I’ve been amazed with SSIW in how much phrases you can build in such a short amount of time.
I am lucky to work with fluent Welsh speakers so I get the chance to practice a little bit but my confidence does need a bit of work with them.
I’m hoping by throwing myself into bwtcamp it will be the step I need to be a bit braver with them.
Looking forward to it now, but I need to crack on with a few more lessons before then.

On Wednesday I saw there was one space left for the June course so I took the opportunity to come along sooner rather than later and paid for it.

I have lived in South Wales most of my life, currently near Bridgend, but very much want to move North so I want to learn Welsh to not feel like a tourist by the time I move there. Other than basic Welsh lessons in english speaking primary school I’ve not had any access to the language where I live or work.

So hopefully I am booked into the June bootcamp and will meet you soon.

Croeso, Mira! Welcome! How far have you got with the SaySomethinginWelsh course?

Also, for everyone - I’m sending out ‘joining instructions’ today by email. If you don;t get it, it may be in your spam box. If it’s not there,. oet me know, and I’ll try to send it in different ways until it comes through. We’ve had a bit of trouble recently with emails being rejected by over enthusiastic spam filters…

Oh yes, and while I’m here, there is still one place available on the June Bwtcamp, so if anyone is looking to take that next giant step towards being a Welsh speaker, now is your chance! Go to Bookwhen.com/ssiw

Hello, I’ve just booked myself onto the June Bwtcamp. :slight_smile: My name is Heather and I’ve been learning Welsh for about four years. I was born in Canada but I moved to Tywyn, Gwynedd five years ago with my French-Italian husband to be closer to my parents who retired here. I have a great passion for all languages and although I’m more familiar with Cymraeg y Gogledd, I’m excited to learn a few southern terms as well. :wink: Edrych ymlaen at eich cyfarfod chi i gyd!

2 Likes

@Iestyn Should I have received an email from you with joining instructions? I can’t see anything in my spam box…

Hiya bawb!

Dyma’r erthygl dw i wedi sgwennu am Bootcamp. Gobeithio bod chi’n ei fwynhau.

Say Something in Welsh Bootcamp in Tresaith – Diary of my experience

Diolch eto am y profiad anhygoel and wela i chi cyn bo hir!

Heather x

@Deborah-SSi @Iestyn

1 Like

I really enjoyed reading about your bwtcamp adventure Heather, @heatherbroster it sounds action packed and such a good experience. Will there be a follow up post Bwtcamp diary from you? Diolch.

1 Like

Diolch, Tricia. I might post a follow-up at some point but I haven’t yet decided. Are you thinking of signing up for Bootcamp?

Ive heard they do a luxury Northern bwtcamp :wink: suitable for the more mature. If you’re active I think the one you did sounds super and a very positive experience.

1 Like

Ffantastic Heather! I really enjoyed reading and re-living bwtcamp moments. I hope it’s not too long before we meet up again.

1 Like

I’m sure there will be another chance soon. Perhaps Gwlad y Basg? :wink:

1 Like

I’m 74, overwieght and far from active and have survived (even enjoyed) a number of Tresaith bootcamps. If you can negotiate the steps from the Ship to the Canolfan, you’ve passed “the physical” :smile:

3 Likes

I know Gerald mid eighties attended the May bwtcamp and took his Elvis wig😎

3 Likes

I know all the Bwtcamps are already fully booked but is there a waiting list for next year and can i add my name please?

There is still another bwtcamp this year - in September - and we haven’t started taking bookings for that one yet. We publicise the date when bookings will open well in advance, both here on the forum and in the weekly newsletter, so you’ll know when that’s coming up.

If you’re coming from somewhere quite a distance overseas, e.g. Australia or the US, and need to book flights well in advance, let Iestyn know and consideration can be given to that.

I work at a FE college and we can’t have annual leave during September otherwise I would book. I’ll just wait for next year.

Hi @Deborah-SSi and @Iestyn, I’m one of the many who would love to go to the September bwtcamp. Please publicise dates as soon as you can, I’ really appreciate that as whilst I don’t need to book flights in advance the nature of my work is that I have to book customer appointments several weeks / months in advance. I know I can’t do the week of 23 to 27th September already. I’d book the week off work as holiday then cancel it if I didn’t get a place :grinning: