2019 Tresaith Bwtcamp May 11-18 : Sold Out!

Not sure if i answered Trevor but yes, can certainly do that. Very many thanks

@DiMatthews - once a month for a few hours really isn;t enough to move your Welsh on in leaps is it? But itā€™s great that you are using your Welsh - itā€™s surprising how much difference just that little bit of conversation can make. I hope youā€™ll find Bwtcamp makes a real difference!

@Steve_Jones - no way! Pontllanfraith? We lived in Maesycwmwr for a good few years, one of the houses overlooking the queue for the traffic lights, right by the big presbyterian chapel. The boys still get really excited when they see the ā€˜wheel of dramsā€™ by the viaduct, because they used to see it just about every day on the way to or from somewhere

@mcbrittany Now thatā€™s an interesting question. We do play a few games on Bwtcamp, and weā€™ve had a few people who donā€™t want to play. Itā€™s never been a problem. The only thing that makes me pause is that I find that the people who get least out of bwtcamp are usually people who for some reason hold back rather than throwing themselves into things without too much thought. I always make a point at the start of bwtcamp that every single activity is optional, so there is no problem with someone sitting some things out. My only concern would be if you got less out of bwtcamp from missing those activities.

However, what the game-like activities do is get people interacting and talking and laughing. I think that you would join in the laughing and interaction even if you werenā€™t actually playing the game (Iā€™m thinking games like charades and 20 questions here.) Itā€™s all pretty informal, and people just being people, so I really donā€™t think it would be a problem.

2 Likes

@amazing-meirion
I use Literatim Welsh keyboard.
https://cymraeg.gov.wales/Mwy/index/literatim?lang=en

Sadly it is only for Android smart phones ( not iphones, unless its changed?!) but it is excellent for writing in Cymraeg. I always forget to switch keyboards according to which language I am working in though, so predicted text now gives me double trouble in Saesneg a Cymraeg!

@Deborah-SSi Iā€™m glad you are not an early riser Dee, that makes two of us!

Andā€¦ that was an interesting answer, thanks a lot Lestyn. You made it very clear : I can see there are some games rather ā€œquietā€, it fitts me. And of course I share your opinion about missing too much activities. I would not go to the camp with this idea I just wanted a clarification, and you gave it. So thanks again and maybeā€¦ see you inseptember (I just began lessons 1 and 2, very funny at times - and confusing ! - to see how similar to breton is cymraeg when spoken, but with such a different spelling ! Waooooh !). I love both north and south, it depends the words, I find some ways of saying beautiful here and others more pleasant there. Same with breton, we have different dialects, and I love ā€œpickingā€ here and there ! Thanks again !!!

1 Like

Just to save you a ā€˜what??ā€™ moment when you get to Tresaith - his name is Iestyn, with a capital ā€˜iā€™ - thatā€™s not an Lā€¦ :wink:

Ooooooooops !!! I just HOPE that the way I wrote does not mean something ā€¦ hmā€¦ how to sayā€¦ somethingā€¦ unpleasant for him.
So sorry !
:thinking::roll_eyes:

2 Likes

No problem, mcBrittany - I am so used to people writing Lestyn, I didnā€™t notice anyway!

If you donā€™t mind me asking, do you live in Brittany? If so, where? We have a few other Breton new Welsh speakers, and I know a few native Welsh speakers there as well, but its a big country!

1 Like

Excuse me, I was in Normandy, went there to pick up my grand son and bring him back to Le Mans, where unfortunately I had to move en 2004. Well itā€™s not far from Rennes (Brittany main town), where I lived during 20 years, but it is NOT my beloved Brittany. No breton spoke in Rennes (no native I mean) but I was very very lucky 40 years ago to get my breton language from native breton speakers, from here and there in Brittany, that means people using a breton language structuraly very different from the french way of organizing sentences. The problem now with the new breton speakers is that they just put the breton words on the french sentences, and with the french ā€œstressā€ (? accent tonique). Anyway, surely those ā€œnew speakersā€ have much more vocabulary than me, (my ex rather fluent breton has gone away). So I dontā€™ want to despreciate them. Iā€™m just a bit disapointed when I hear this ā€œnew bretonā€(would I call it ā€œfrenchtonā€, or ā€œbretenchā€ā€¦) spokken by teachers in our breton schools (Diwan)ā€¦

1 Like

My name is Gerald, and I live in Birchington- by the- sea in Kent with my wonderful wife, Elisabeth. I came from Bargoed in South Wales but moved to Harlech in North Wales where my fathers family were from at the age of five, I want to learn Welsh because I love Wales and itā€™s people and canā€™t wait to move back. My main hobby is learning Welsh, but I am also learning to play the guitar. I like singing, walking and shopping in Second-hand shops
I drink tea but have been known to drink coffee in the past I look forward to meeting all you lovely people at Boot camp in May.

3 Likes

I said that learning Welsh was my hobby, no, no, itā€™s more a commitment, obligation, a longing in my heart.

3 Likes

Gerald your commitment and love of the Welsh language truly shows and has been a real inspiration to people on the six month course. I admire all the hard work you have put in (at your young age) and hope that you and everyone else have a wonderful time at boot camp. :hugs:

3 Likes

I think I would describe it as an unquenchable passion :wink:

1 Like

Hi Gerald,
I just realised who you are. We were on some of the online chats together on Thursday evenings, though I am sure you were involved in most of them :hugs: I think @Deborah-SSi is absolutely right. Your love of all things Welsh is, as she said is an unquenchable passion! Wonderful!
I was lucky enough to get into the May Bootcamp in Tresaith. Is that the one you are going to? Ann

2 Likes

Hi Ann, Yes, I am one of the lucky ones to book into the Tresaith Bootcamp in May.iā€™m Packed and ready to go. I do remember you being on the one or two of the Hangouts. I try to get involved in as many online chats as I can, This is the only way I can practice my Welsh, and everyone is so supportive and just nice, like one big family. I am looking forward to meeting you in May. Iā€™m sure we will have a lot of fun and improve our Welsh a lot.

4 Likes

We certainly will, I canā€™t wait! Its a long journey for you from Kent but it will be, oh, so worth it. See you there.

Hi Gerald, we only spoke a couple of times in on-line chats, but I agree with other peopleā€™s comments, your commitment has been an inspiration. As the diary pages turn towards May 11th I find myself looking forward more and more to meeting you all in Tresaith.

2 Likes

Iā€™m desperate to go to a camp. Does anyone know if there Iā€™d a waiting list for May or any other months after that? I really really want to go!

Hi Joanne,
I think the procedure is to let @Iestyn know you are interested first. I think May is full up but an not sure about the others.
There are sure to be others who know more about how it all works :hugs:

1 Like

Yes, putting your name here shows Iestyn that you want to be on the waiting list for May.

1 Like