4/Pump am y Penwythnos / Friday Five 14/06/19 5️⃣

Today’s questions are all about random/obscure recommendations…

1) Name a random/obscure edible item and a random drinkable item, you think are worth trying at least once.

2) Name a random/obscure book you think is worth treading at least once.

3) Name a random/obscure song/artist/band you think are worth listening to at least once.

4) Name a random/obscure place you think is worth visiting at least once.

5) Name a random/obscure activity you think is worth trying at least once.

1. Name a random/obscure edible item and a random drinkable item, you think are worth trying at least once.
Drink - kombucha. It’s really good for you gut health and comes in loads of different flavours. Very healthy and very tasty
Food - if you’re ever in a French restaurant then lambs bone marrow

2. Name a random/obscure book you think is worth treading at least once.

The House of Spirits by Isabelle Allende

3. Name a random/obscure song/artist/band you think are worth listening to at least once.

The Choral Students of University College Dublin

Or
The song Mo Ghille Mear by The Chieftains with Sting on vocals

4. Name a random/obscure place you think is worth visiting at least once.

Castell y Bere - Castell Tywysog Llewelyn. Beautiful setting and very peaceful

5. Name a random/obscure activity you think is worth trying at least once.

Life drawing. How often do you concentrate on something for two hours in near complete silence?

1 Like

1. Name a random/obscure edible item and a random drinkable item, you think are worth trying at least once.
Andouillettes - nearest Brit & US equivalents are Chitterlings. You need guts to eat them but they are :yum:
Grappa - a good one is a wonderful way to end an Italian meal
2. Name a random/obscure book you think is worth treading at least once.
“The Strangest Man” by Graham Farfeld. A fascinating insight into the agitated mind of the Bristol Nobel Prize physicist, Paul Dirac
3. Name a random/obscure song/artist/band you think are worth listening to at least once.
Y diliau
4. Name a random/obscure place you think is worth visiting at least once.
The Lairig Ghru - a dramatic and strenuous pass through the Cairngorms in Scotland between Braemar and Aviemore. I’ve never managed the entire length and my age has now forced it off my bucket list :frowning:
5. Name a random/obscure activity you think is worth trying at least once.
Learning Russian. I’ve started a few times but never persevered. I can say “what time is it” and “where is the pedestrian crossing” and “no, it’s not Pavlova, it’s a sportswoman”

1 Like

Do you grow kombucha on your own? My mother did and I don’t remember it would really have different flavours. It depends on which tea you’re growing it though but it also (as much as I can remember) can grow only on the “real” tea like black, green etc …

Perhaps having the grappa first would help one eat the andouillettes? :persevere::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::wink:

I see what you did there… :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

1 Like

1) Name a random/obscure edible item and a random drinkable item, you think are worth trying at least once.

Banku and grasscutter rat stew was something I are almost on a daily basis when I did voluntary teaching in Ghana and it was surprisingly delicious. Whilst we don’t have grasscutter rats here, any other meat will do and if you Google ‘banku and stew’ you should be able to get a recipe.

Drinks wise, Portsecco is actually a thing worth trying… :wink:

The Huddled Masses: The Immigrant in American Society, 1880-1921, is a book I bought after visiting Ellis Island. Interesting and moving, it’s a book which made a lasting impression.

3) Name a random/obscure song/artist/band you think are worth listening to at least once.

Yma Sumac was a peruvian singer from the 1950s with an extraordinary vocal range. I was in a central London HMV late at night one weekend and they were playing her Mambo album - I fell in love with her right away. She was a very talented artist and her music is mesmerising and colourful…

I’m going to go out on a limb and say anywhere which gives you inner peace and helps you to totally relax. I have somewhere very personal which I visit when things are tough, it immediately embraces me, calms me and it’s somewhere I can clear my mind of thoughts and totally let go.

This, a skydiving simulator - they’re fabulous!

2 Likes

rat stew

Baldrick (in Blackadder) traditionally served this with turnip :laughing:
The nearest I’ve come to this dish is RATatouille.

1 Like

Would that be rat; sauté, which involves taking the freshly shaved rat and marinading it in a puddle ’till it’s drowned’… :rofl:

3 Likes

Exactly, chef. Though guinea pigs, and large gerbils are acceptable substitutes. :yum: :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Possum pate on garlic bread jumped to mind (no idea why).

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

Not random or obscure at all but I’ve become addicted to houmous recently, I can’t get enough of it. I don’t do alcohol much anymore but one of my favourites was always JD/Southern Comfort 50/50. You get the best of both while cancelling out the worst.

2) Name a random/obscure book you think is worth reading at least once.
Fingerprint of the Gods by Graham Hancock. His conclusion at the end is a wee bit weird but the information you gather along the way is nothing short of incredible.

I know that the heavy stuff I listen to isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but I’m going with Tool, their album AEnima is a masterpiece. The songs AEnima and Eulogy are a good flavour of what you’ll get. I’ve put versions with lyrics here … please don’t listen if you’re easily offended.

I’m going with Castell Dinas Brân above Llangollen. A brilliant walk to get there, an information board to learn the history, and the peace and tranquility deserving of such a magical place with views of the Llangollen valley that with live on forever.

There’s a bit of hard work involved if you want to do this but the most amazing feeling I’ve ever experienced is playing in a band in front of a willing crowd. You won’t get that kind of buzz anywhere else. To take it up another notch try playing drums in a heavy metal band with the energy, the sweat, the blood, the adrenalin, the sheer joy. What a feeling.

I’m a nice person really. :innocent:

3 Likes

Just going to weigh in at #3 for the moment… The Spooky Men’s Chorale performing ‘A Svedish Folk Song’ is my go-to pick-me-up whenever I need a laugh. YouTube has at least 2 different recordings, but go to the one in colour at a folk festival. Their more serious ‘Crossing the Bar’ YouTube recording from Ely Cathedral—well I want it at my funeral!

Sarmale - Romanian stuffed pickled cabbage. Stays fresh in the jar for months. You will not believe how they smell but they taste delicious.

Cytronovka. Made on the premises at Pod Wawalem, Krakow. Better known as lemon vodka… Best tried multiple times.

Saturdee. We owned a copy growing up. Fascinating glimpse of Australian life (Yabbies?!!). Tried to find a copy online and the price is just ridiculous. Too bad ours disappeared…

The Hu Band:-

This is Icelandic awesomeness:-

And this is a virtuoso guitar-player. Writes a mean song too:-

Random/obscure is where I live…

The Welsh Bar, Wellington, NZ. Too obviously.

Newgrange. The Emerald Isle. Éire. Poblacht na hÉireann.
Unmissable.

**5) Name a random/obscure activity you think is worth trying at least once.

A flight in a microlight. It’s like riding a motorbike in 3-D. Try a corkscrew to lose about 1000 feet as quickly as possible. Or put the thing into a steep climb, or dive!! and then take your hands off all the controls to see what will happen. Unreal!!

1 Like

Sarmale - Romanian stuffed pickled cabbage

As a great Sauerkraut and Kimchi fan, I’d be interested to know what it is stuffed with. Sounds like my cup of tea. :smile:

Rice, mince and unidentifiable spices/flavourings:- as ever, it’s a personisable recipe…
Try this:-

I’m guessing you’re fond of Bigos?

Looks worth a trip to Romania :smile:

Tak! That and dumplings were my staples during my many visits to Gwlad Pwyl

I went to Iasi (Yash, phonetically) for four days a few years ago (more like a decade in fact :hushed:) and enjoyed it. Their version of wild-meat stew is full of boar and suchlike and tastes amazing. Can’t remember what that is called though…